Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-16-2009, 10:18 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It's a gift.
And we are grateful you continue to give . . .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I take a 1000mg of Niaspan right before going to bed. I sleep through any flushing although in a year I've felt it maybe a couple of times. But it has not been bad. Would not want to take it during the day though.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:30 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Years ago I was on Niaspan. My liver did not like it. Now I take 1000mg Niacin before bedtime. Mostly unaware of the flush. The flush is supposedly good for nourishing the skin via dilated capillaries. DW likes the extra heating.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
And we are grateful you continue to give . . .
And give and give and give...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Years ago I was on Niaspan. My liver did not like it. Now I take 1000mg Niacin before bedtime. Mostly unaware of the flush. The flush is supposedly good for nourishing the skin via dilated capillaries. DW likes the extra heating.
My stars and little comets! 1000 mg niacin! Niacin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Nicotinamide may be toxic to the liver at doses exceeding 3 g/day for adults.[2]
(That is = 3,000 mg).

However...

Quote:
A clinical study, results of which were presented at the 2009 annual meeting of the American Heart Association and published in the New England Journal of Medicine suggest that in combination with statins, Niaspan, a form of niacin, is more effective than Zetia at reducing arterial buildup.[17]
Maybe I should try a little myself?
Old 11-18-2009, 07:28 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

The study was funded by Abbott, which makes a prescription niacin product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
That little factoid assures the article will pass from my mailbox to my trash can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
How often does one find a study that hasn't either been funded by an interested party, or designed and run by investigators who regularly get funding from interested parties?

Ha
I was also surprised by Rich's comment, though I know a lot of people have this reaction.

If you are looking for a "disinterested" third party to spend a lot of money on a study like this, I think that, by definition, they won't have much interest in doing that So we often have to rely on studies funded by "interested" parties.

I used to get "white papers" from companies trying to get me to approve purchase their products for use by the mega-corp I was with. They were useful, and the sales rep knew we were looking for info relevant to our application, not a sales pitch. And they knew we would challenge the assumptions, test conditions, financial payback numbers etc. We took it all (and any data we get) with a grain of salt. But it was still useful to us - for example, if they claimed it could do "2X" under what we assumed would be favorable conditions, and we already knew we could achive "3X" for less cost, no need to look further.

So what is the alternative? No data at all? Should we not allow any industry studies at all? Do we rely on the FDA to test everything that might have interest for us? Will they be considered a "disinterested" third party after HC reform? Are they now?

Now, I will suggest one reform for these kinds of pharma studies - the pharma should have to publicly register the details of the proposed study prior to undertaking it, and then make the results public, good or bad. Right now, as I understand it, they can run 100 studies, and just publish the ones favorable to them, and we never know. There should be some transparent "clearing house" to collate all the relevant studies so that the pharma can't just cherry-pick what they want.

For me, this is the same as news from the media - I don't care so much what the source is, but they better back up their statements - facts are facts, regardless the source.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:40 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
The big labs do a lot of this......

Quote:
Now, I will suggest one reform for these kinds of pharma studies - the pharma should have to publicly register the details of the proposed study prior to undertaking it, and then make the results public, good or bad. Right now, as I understand it, they can run 100 studies, and just publish the ones favorable to them, and we never know. There should be some transparent "clearing house" to collate all the relevant studies so that the pharma can't just cherry-pick what they want.
Geez, not asking for much, are ya?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Audreyh1 said: Now don't forget that olive oil helps raise HDL! Well, maybe not nearly as much as niacin.

I miss olive oil:

Happy Healthy Long Life: I'm Going to Miss My Olive Oil - Who Knew It Wasn't So Healthy After All? Drs. Esselstyn, Ornish, Vogel & Rudel Did
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I'm not sure how you could read that article and come up with a title that includes the word "happy". Don't these people know they're going to die someday anyway?
Old 11-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Flashing while flushing? Now I'm blushing! ( <---blush smiley)
Hijacked from the haiku thread?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
Excellent idea. The current practice is "pitch till you win" kind of a fraud- light. You wil occasionally win betting a number on a roulette wheel, so why not try?

But the public loses, as usual.

Ha
Old 11-19-2009, 07:37 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Oh yeah - and rowing machines! Rowing machines help raise HDL!

Audrey
How about wrist curls?
Old 11-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
My stars and little comets! 1000 mg niacin! Niacin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(That is = 3,000 mg).

However...

Maybe I should try a little myself?
Me no doctor, nor do I play one nowadays. I did once in kiddie garden with some girls and got suspended for it.

Experiments while under a real MD's watchful eyes showed that slow release niacin (i.e. expensive Niaspan) was less useful and caused more complications for me than the immediate release stuff.

YMMV.

Edit add: my body will not tolerate statins, gimes me the case of the stupids, along with muscle/joint pains. My understanding is that the chief benefit of statins is their anti inflammatory function. That can be achieved with stuff a lot cheaper etc.....

Again: YMMV.
Flameproof underwear donned!
Old 11-19-2009, 10:46 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Being curious reading this thread, I bought some Slo-Niacin (500mg), and I took a half of 500mg last night after dinner. In about 5 minutes I started feeling this warm in the belly and felt like the warm was being radiated all over my body after a while (even my feet were warm) and then I started feeling a slight (very slight) headache coming on but then it went away and my warm feeling too in about 30-40 minutes. Is this the flushing you guys are talking about?

So taking aspirin is supposed to help with this flushing? What aggrevates it? My first flushing experience wasn't particularly a bad one (I sort of enjoyed it, up to the point where I felt a slight headache coming on), but I am just wondering...

Do you guys (gals) just take niacin alone? I've always been told that you should take any one vitamin B component with the Vit B complex.

Thanks.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
my body will not tolerate statins, gimes me the case of the stupids, along with muscle/joint pains. My understanding is that the chief benefit of statins is their anti inflammatory function. That can be achieved with stuff a lot cheaper etc.....
So what do you use for an anti-inflammatory?

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:30 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So what do you use for an anti-inflammatory?

Audrey
I make ginger ale from real ginger. Chop up some ginger, add to water or green tea. Drink it all including chopped ginger. A few times a week. I am not very consistent with that, as with most anything else.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:37 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I remember my first niacin flush. It totally freaked me out! I thought I have been poisoned! Maybe I took a multi-vitamin on an empty stomach because it wasn't a new pill for me. And what blew my mind even more afterwards was how fast that vitamin metabolized!!!

Once I figured out what had happened, I switched from 100mg to 25mg niacin and didn't have problems.

Audrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Holy moly! I take a 500/20 niacin/simvistatin once daily. LDL and TG are down dramatically; HDL is up mildly, but still in the 30s. I only get flashes occasionally, but some of them are real doozies, as in every hair follicle feels like a needle...
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I've found that eating before taking the niacin makes a huge difference. That's a good description of the strong flushes, but if I eat about 10 minutes before taking the niacin I don't even notice it. I started on simvastatin about a month ago, and am down to 2 500 mg doses of niacin/day. I will go in for blood tests in a couple weeks. I suspect all my cholesterol numbers will be excellent (HDL in the high 30s is excellent for me), but she'll probably tell me my liver enzymes are high now and want to put me on another med.

As long as I can still take an occasional sip of scotch.
Bunch 'O sissies thinks I.

I'm not a drug user. I avoid aspirin unless I'm really in pain. I definitely have never had any interest in experimental drug use. I don't know why I'm influenced by this forums’ posters, BUT... I decided I wanted to see what this Niacin stuff was all about. In the health food department of the grocery store I found Niacin (B-3) Caps. Crystalline pure, yeast free, dietary supplement, 500mg in a real glass bottle. "For best results, take after meals". Sounds good to me.

Home I go, pop one capsule, make myself a snack and a cup of tea and sit down at the computer. Food finished, sipping tea and surfing the net about 20 minutes after the capsule pop. I started to feel the anticipated warm face and tingling. No mistaking it now, distinct warm flushing feeling spreading down my neck and arms. This is "cool" I'm thinking. Never before have I experienced such a distinct effect from ingesting anything. Wow! About 10 minutes after the first hint of flushing I'm feeling really warm all over REALLY warm. Wearing a T shirt, I went outside where the temperature was about 45 degrees and I feel even hotter. This is a good way to fight the cold I think. By the time I get back inside those needles are jabbing me all over. This isn't good. It hurts. Back at the computer I start to feel a little dizzy and then realize I should be sitting on the toilet instead. Staggering, walking into walls, I made it to the bathroom in time. I experienced some nausea too but it lasted only a minute or so and thankfully I didn't vomit. Nearly fainting, narrowed vision and everything sounding like it was far away I made it back to the computer and looked up Niacin side effects. Experiencing nothing that wasn't on the list I was reassured that I would survive. I also read that the Niacin should be take AFTER eating and hot drinks like coco or tea could exaggerate the flushing.

About an hour after experiencing the first effect the needling feeling has subsided and I just feel like I have a mild sunburn all over. Face is still a little red but I can see and hear ok again. The dizziness is diminished. I felt exhausted, went to bed and had no trouble falling asleep in spite of my now moderate discomfort. Three hours later I woke up feeling pretty normal except for moderate itching all over. By morning everything was fine and I decided I wasn't going to do THAT again.

A little more reading suggested that aspirin could ameliorate the flushing effect.

Lunch time. Abandoning my resolve to never do it again I ate two aspirin, ate lunch and 30 minutes after the aspirin intake I swallowed another Niacin capsule. I went to the computer without my cup of tea and strapped myself down to wait for the next episode. Without the experience from the night before I don't think I would even have noticed the slight warming I experienced after lunch. That was it. Nothing else, Pfffht.

I'm gonna try it again today without the aspirin.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:21 AM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
I'm not a drug user.
It would appear the above statement is no longer accurate...
Old 11-20-2009, 06:31 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It would appear the above statement is no longer accurate...

Hey, I already TOLD you it says "Dietary Supplement" right on the label!

I'm innocent I tell ya, innocent!
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:35 AM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
The side effects are even showing up in your posts...