Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-25-2015, 02:15 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Outstanding news - those baby aspirin aren't very onerous at all as drugs go. Congratulations and have a great adventure on the road.
I'm actually taking a full dose aspirin, 325mg, but I did ask him that if I took an aspirin in the morning and I felt I needed to take a Naproxen in the evening for my back, would that be okay? He said no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Great news Alan! I have an appointment on the 30th and a long list of questions for the doc.
Good luck Walt.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2015, 02:24 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Keeping clean and not too smelly is going to be a challenge for the next 48 hours.
Doesn't ER mean you don't have to worry about those things?

Quote:
I'm actually taking a full dose aspirin, 325mg, but I did ask him that if I took an aspirin in the morning and I felt I needed to take a Naproxen in the evening for my back, would that be okay? He said no problem.
That's good to know, as I take those same meds at the same time.

Quote:
Good luck Walt.
+1

Old 03-25-2015, 02:36 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Doesn't ER mean you don't have to worry about those things?
It certainly helps

While fitting me with the heart monitor the nurse was saying that these days the monitors are much smaller but it is still going to show a small lump under my shirt. When I told her I was retired so it didn't matter if it showed or not she laughed, as she had come across a lot of men who really did not want to go to meetings and such where others could see an unsightly bulge under their clothing.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not sure if this has already been posted, but an excellent presentation that covers many of the AFIB basics from WebMD
Atrial Fibrillation Pictures: Symptoms, Causes, Tests, and Treatments

Re Holter Harness.. about 15 years ago, I passed out while driving back from a day of surfing at Daytona... 60mph on the throughway. My buddy was sitting next to me and grabbed the steering wheel, kicked my foot off the gas pedal, and we slid to a stop. Came to, and went to the hospital. Nothing detected, but wore the harness for a day and then the MRI or Cat Scan (can't remember which)... nothing showed up. Doctors called it an anomoly. Since then, always aware... just in case.

I do have a close friend in FL, who has had AFib for 15 years. Lives with it, w/ medication, and has had a few events that send her to the hospital. She still bikes and does line dancig and fitness stuff.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #125

Great WebMD link - thanks
Old 03-27-2015, 09:33 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, a very informative webMD link for A-fib. But don't you find the slide of the slightly smiling doctor holding up the defibrillator paddles a little unnerving?
Old 03-27-2015, 09:38 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
Yes, a very informative webMD link for A-fib. But don't you find the slide of the slightly smiling doctor holding up the defibrillator paddles a little unnerving?
Yes, I did find that a bit creepy, and funny at the same time
Old 03-28-2015, 05:49 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
He has a reason to smile. (No offense intended but I couldn't resist...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paddles.JPG (118.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 04-03-2015, 11:07 PM   #129

I got a letter today from my HI approving the request to have a nuclear stress test. I didn't even know this was in doubt as I had my nuclear stress test 4 days ago.

Trickiest part of the test was that my heart didn't get stressed until minute 13 while I was running up hill on the treadmill, and that is the point they put the big syringe into the IV port in my arm while I hold it out straight and try not to go whizzing off the end of the treadmill.

I get the results end of the month when I see the cardio doc. Fingers crossed.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:14 AM   #130
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... she had come across a lot of men who really did not want to go to meetings and such where others could see an unsightly bulge under their clothing.
I thought that would depend on the location of the bulge. No?
Old 04-04-2015, 12:15 PM   #131

Quote:
... she had come across a lot of men who really did not want to go to meetings and such where others could see an unsightly bulge under their clothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I thought that would depend on the location of the bulge. No?
I think those that thought it was a "sightly" bulge were the ones that didn't complain.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm... Could we be talking about different "things" here?

My bad. I should have written "bulges". You know, biceps, pectoral muscles.

And whether something is sightly or not, that's highly subjective, so we cannot really debate that.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:46 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In 2 days I'll have an echo-cardiogram and next week a nuclear stress test. I then see him again on April 29th, just before we set off on our 6 month holiday.
Here's wishing you the best of luck tomorrow...and a stress free holiday.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:04 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Here's wishing you the best of luck tomorrow...and a stress free holiday.
Thank you very much.

I am certainly a little anxious ahead of the appointment tomorrow, even though I haven't had any problems since the trip to the ER.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:42 AM   #135

Thought I would update this thread following my long trip away. I did take my BP monitor with us although I didn't use it every day. I had 3 more A-Fib incidents that I know of, each time the irregular HR reset itself within 2 or 3 hours. On each occurrence the HR was elevated only a little so I didn't go see a doctor.

Once again I noticed that the BP increases over time but as soon as I do 10 - 15 minutes HIIT it immediately comes back down to acceptable levels. During the last 2 weeks of the vacation, in Glacier NP and Yellowstone we hiked extensively but the BP had gone high again, every day with the high reading over 140 or 150, 2 days over 160. It was the same for a couple of days when we got back but then dropped into the 120's immediately I started doing 10 minutes a day of HIIT.

Prior to exercise this morning I put on my chest strap heart monitor and my watch couldn't get a reading, the little heart symbol pulsing erratically. I felt my pulse and could tell it was irregular so I confirmed it with my BP monitor. 2nd time this week this has happened but this time I decided to go anyway and by the time I walked over to the gym it was registering as normal, and 30 minutes later I took my BP again and all was normal.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:46 AM   #136
Administrator

Quote:
I had 3 more A-Fib incidents that I know of, each time the irregular HR reset itself within 2 or 3 hours. On each occurrence the HR was elevated only a little so I didn't go see a doctor.
That is still unsettling, I would imagine.

I don't remember - - have you tried completely eliminating caffeine? The reason I ask, is that my ex-husband had a similar problem and the Navy doctor told him to cut out all coffee and other caffeine sources. After doing that he never had another episode. Just trying to be helpful...

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:34 AM   #137
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Thought I would update this thread following my long trip away. I did take my BP monitor with us although I didn't use it every day. I had 3 more A-Fib incidents that I know of, each time the irregular HR reset itself within 2 or 3 hours. On each occurrence the HR was elevated only a little so I didn't go see a doctor.

Once again I noticed that the BP increases over time but as soon as I do 10 - 15 minutes HIIT it immediately comes back down to acceptable levels. During the last 2 weeks of the vacation, in Glacier NP and Yellowstone we hiked extensively but the BP had gone high again, every day with the high reading over 140 or 150, 2 days over 160. It was the same for a couple of days when we got back but then dropped into the 120's immediately I started doing 10 minutes a day of HIIT.

Prior to exercise this morning I put on my chest strap heart monitor and my watch couldn't get a reading, the little heart symbol pulsing erratically. I felt my pulse and could tell it was irregular so I confirmed it with my BP monitor. 2nd time this week this has happened but this time I decided to go anyway and by the time I walked over to the gym it was registering as normal, and 30 minutes later I took my BP again and all was normal.

BP is notoriously variable, but irregular heart beats should be checked. A simple ECG will tell the doctor a lot.

PS how did you like Glacier NP. I was there in June to see Lake MacDonald and Logan Pass.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't remember - - have you tried completely eliminating caffeine?
In today's post on Medline's Atrial Fibrilation Blog was this article disputing the coffee connection to irregular heart beats.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:10 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
PS how did you like Glacier NP. I was there in June to see Lake MacDonald and Logan Pass.
We were there this year and a couple years ago. They are going to need to change the name to The Park formerly called Glacier. There are many more glaciers in Colorado and all of them are bigger than those found in the NP. Anyone believing Global Warming is a myth should visit that Park.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #140

Quote:
BP is notoriously variable, but irregular heart beats should be checked. A simple ECG will tell the doctor a lot.
See earlier posts on this thread about my visits to the hospital and cardio doctor. I have paroxysmal A-Fib. All tests were passed with flying colors except the 48hr halter monitor which showed occasions of skipped beats.

Measuring blood pressure and heart rate

Quote:
Really enjoyed Glacier NP, it was our first visit.