Measuring blood pressure and heart rate

I find it hard to believe that anyone at the docs' office is laid back and relaxed.

First, there is usually a good reason to be there, like feeling sick.
Second, even if one has been waiting for 20 minutes or so to be ushered into the exam room, the underlying issue that brought in is still a gnawing away at the psyche, hardly a relaxing thing.

Having to answer answer questions while getting BP taken is sure drive up the pressure.

OTOH none of that shuld put one in the red zone if in good shape.

I tend to run about 5 points higher in docs office than at home. I usually measure an hour before heading to the doc's, once a year, often less in the last 6 years.

I use the "Walgreens Manual Inflate Blood Pressure Kit" $16.99, old school style.

I got this one today and it works fine with consistent readings, a bit higher than at the doc's office today but that may be from a number of factors, including simple calibration errors. But consistency was the main thing I was looking for and I have that to spot a trend up or down.

Omron and ReliOn are the same brand. My son did a science fair project about BP, so I use the Omron he bought for that. It is very reliable in contrast to the wrist monitor used in the dentist office. I think the variability stems from how tight one puts on the cuff to start with. It should be very snug and not just fairly snug.

I used to have a job measuring BP and pulse of hospital patients. I don't see how a manual BP setup (stethoscope, mercury manometer). The cuff is the same.

I suggest using an Omron and try various ways of putting the cuff on. Yes, put the cuff on wrong and see the results. Put the cuff on right, but change the snugness over a range. You will soon figure out what the snugness needs to be to get a consistent reading. And if you cannot, then get your nurse to show you how.

Alan, a heart rate of 36 or 35 does not sound normal. The last 2 people I saw with a heart rate in that range ended up with a pacemaker.

Alan, a heart rate of 36 or 35 does not sound normal. The last 2 people I saw with a heart rate in that range ended up with a pacemaker.

Mine got down in that range, I felt bad. Dizzy like I was going to pass out. Went to the ER, they were pretty concerned, that's a bit of an understatement. Reviewing my meds I had been on atenolol(beta blocker for BP) for a long time. Not sure if it was the length of time I was on it or something else changed, but my BP medicine was changed. Resting rate more like 60, and I don't feel like passing out all the time.

I gather from your post that's not your situation. But don't go walking around feeling like your passing out without telling your doc(In other words don't be as stupid as I was:banghead:).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:
The other inexpensive equipment that may be also helpful is a pulse oximeter. I purchased one from Amazon for about $30 a couple of years ago when I had a mild upper respiratory virus and was having related shortness of breath. I use it now occasionally just as a trending monitor and find it helpful.

Oxygen saturation in the blood is dependent on several factors but keeping it between 90-100% is important to our overall health. It's very easy to use and maintain.

I have an app on my iPhone called "Instant Heartrate". You put your finger over the camera lens and it monitors for 10-15 seconds and tells you your Heartrate. I've checked it against the manual method and it's good. Not that counting is hard, but the app is easier (and it was free).

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I mentioned in a previous Post that we have no medical need to monitor these data. My concerns run along these lines:

I have the "CVS Premium BP3MV1-3WCVS Item# 800230" that Consumer Reports rated highest and a Best Buy. $66 It has performed great for over a year.

Of course, we have no medical reason to monitor our BP -- only curiosity -- so this recommendation may not be for everyone.

Well, sometimes we do have a reason. As noted in the original post in the past I didn't concern myself with BP and pulse rate that much because it was always in the normal range anyway. What prompted my query was that now I get a weekly call from a nurse who works for the health insurance company to discuss lifestyle issues that affect health. The objective of this program is to keep me out of the hospital after having two overlapping stents in a heart artery last summer and then an incident of atrial fibrillation a few months later.

Now, I am generally as suspicious of insurance companies as anyone but I think in this instance the insurance company (BCBS) and I do have a parallel interest - keeping me out of the hospital. They don't want to pay for it and I sure don't want to be there!

And one of the things this nurse keeps asking is "What is your resting BP and pulse rate?" While I could give her the numbers from the last doctor's office visit and get a pulse rate with a watch and a finger, I didn't have any way to stay current on BP. Hence the reason to monitor it.

Mine got down in that range, I felt bad. Dizzy like I was going to pass out. Went to the ER, they were pretty concerned, that's a bit of an understatement. Reviewing my meds I had been on atenolol(beta blocker for BP) for a long time. Not sure if it was the length of time I was on it or something else changed, but my BP medicine was changed. Resting rate more like 60, and I don't feel like passing out all the time.

I gather from your post that's not your situation. But don't go walking around feeling like your passing out without telling your doc(In other words don't be as stupid as I was:banghead:).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Thanks for the info guys. I never feel any different the odd times my HR gets that low and the last EKG I had at the docs during an annual physical was 39, after which he sent me for a treadmill stress test. The cardio Doc said the stress test results were "spectacular, and I mean spectacular".

I take my BP and HR at least once a week and the HR is usually in the low 50's, high 40's, but the odd one in the 30's does worry me. I will continue to monitor and report such findings to my Doc, but if he isn't worried then I think I am okay. No family history of cardiac arrest anywhere, or heart disease come to that. Fingers crossed.

If I feel a bit odd, I take my blood pressure, and then if it's more or less normal, I don't worry about it.

Thanks for the info guys. I never feel any different the odd times my HR gets that low and the last EKG I had at the docs during an annual physical was 39, after which he sent me for a treadmill stress test. The cardio Doc said the stress test results were "spectacular, and I mean spectacular".

I take my BP and HR at least once a week and the HR is usually in the low 50's, high 40's, but the odd one in the 30's does worry me. I will continue to monitor and report such findings to my Doc, but if he isn't worried then I think I am okay. No family history of cardiac arrest anywhere, or heart disease come to that. Fingers crossed.

Nice work. Lacking other factors, if you achieved >= 10 METS your coronary risk annually is very favorable. IMHO that trumps the low pulse which is mostly likely a sign of very efficient pumping of the left ventricle. This year my brother died with advanced coronary disease and I had my first-ever stress test (actually a stress echo) - got my 65 y.o heart to 11 METS...no guarantees but quite reassuring.

See my signature for the usual disclaimers, but you can be on my x-country team any day.

Nice work. Lacking other factors, if you achieved >= 10 METS your coronary risk annually is very favorable. IMHO that trumps the low pulse which is mostly likely a sign of very efficient pumping of the left ventricle. This year my brother died with advanced coronary disease and I had my first-ever stress test (actually a stress echo) - got my 65 y.o heart to 11 METS...no guarantees but quite reassuring.

See my signature for the usual disclaimers, but you can be on my x-country team any day.

Thanks for the info Rich, good to know.

Congratulations on such good results for your stress test.

A good result on a stress test has got to be less stressful even though there are no guarantees. :)

Summary from above link

The Verdict
These heart rate monitors are indeed accurate. Getting the correct reading might take a few attempts but the reading isn’t wrong or that far off the mark. That’s not to say they will be replacing your GP but for anyone exercising, or wanting to monitor their vitals without purchasing an add-on for their phone, these apps are pretty useful.

A note about accuracy: GP’s normally instruct adding or subtracting ten from the reading of a digital device depending on the trend (if your reading is normally higher than average, add ten, if it is less than average, minus ten). The number ten represents the acceptable range of deviation and was used to determine accuracy.

Thought I'd update this with something that happened last night.

I've had the Omron HEM-712C for some years and do check my BP quite regularly. Around 10pm at home last night I felt a little dizzy so I checked my BP which was normal but my HR was high for me. (80's instead of 50's).

It did have a heart symbol on the display that I didn't recognize and past history from the log showed this was the first time it had appeared. I have the little booklet handy and the symbol means irregular heartbeat - go see a doctor.

An hour later I went to bed hoping to sleep it off and maybe make an appointment in the morning (I checked BP at 11 and still irregular heartbeat symbol). I couldn't sleep so I got up and checked BP again at 12 and BP was now elevated (150/100) and HR at 90. I decided to go to a local 24 ER clinic close by where it was clear to the Doc that I have atrial fibrillation. By 2:30am all blood work, and chest X-Rays are okay, the monitor still shows the problem there but I feel just fine, no dizziness, can walk around just fine etc. So the Doc discharges after an aspirin and injection of Lovenox in case of blood clots plus instructions to see a my regular doc today who she is sure will refer me onto a cardiologist. (Appointment booked, see him in 2 hrs)

Point of the post is to let the OP (Walt) know that checking BP as recommended by his Doc is a worthwhile thing because this morning my BP and HR are just fine (have taken them twice) so without that feedback last night I would simply have slept it off and not known I had this condition. 1 in a 100 of folks over age 50 apparently develop this and I do have a friend, same age as me (60), who has had the problem for a few years, although with him it is more typical and his heart races at 200bpm and he has spent many hours in an ER getting it regulated. (In the ER clinic my HR never got out of the 90's, and was in the 70's when I checked out)

Alan, how frightening! Do go to your appointment because it is so important to have your doctor check out anything related to the heart, IMO.

Maybe there is some treatment to prevent it from happening again. :(

PS, thanks for the reminder to check my BP with my Omron device too. Might as well use it since I have it right here. This morning mine is 109/73, with a heart rate of 75 so that sounds OK to me. My BP has been so much better ever since my doctor put me on a beta blocker a few years ago.

Last edited:
We will be waiting for your update about your appointment with all good thoughts, Alan.

We will be waiting for your update about your appointment with all good thoughts, Alan.

+1

Thanks for sharing this info - I have several friends with a-fib and all seem to be doing fine. Hope the same is true for you.

+1

Thanks for sharing this info - I have several friends with a-fib and all seem to be doing fine. Hope the same is true for you.

My ex had it when he was just 28 years old, but he was drinking massive quantities of coffee every day at the time due to working crazy hours. His doctor told him to stop drinking coffee, he did, and the atrial fibrillation went away (for him). But it is a pretty scary condition and not always due to something that simple.

Alan, I have had A Fib for about fifteen years now. The important thing to know when you are first diagnosed is, in and of itself, it is not life-threatening. (I speak from experience about how frightening be told your heart is defective in some fashion.) The complications from it, however, are. The biggy is the threat of a stroke which can be lessened (if not eliminated) by medicine -- blood thinners and beta-blockers to regulate the heart rate.

I am one of the (very) rare people who are asymptomatic -- have no physical symptoms. Most people, on the other hand, suffer from shortness of breath, dizziness, chest pains, etc. so it not something you want to put off treatment.

There is a ton of information online but listen to your doctor (well, the cardiologist) and you will (IMHO) be fine. I am guessing, since it was temporary, that he/she will suggest a cardioversion (where they shoot electricity through your chest) and that may well cure it... or put off the inevitable.

Here is a place to start: Atrial Fibrillation: MedlinePlus

Glad you are being treated and are going to be OK.

But now you've scared me. About a year ago, I was going through a stressful period and felt like my heart was beating irregularly. The Dr. put me in a Holter harness (a portable EKG - electrodes all over my chest) for 24 hours and later did an echocardiogram. All was OK.

So I haven't worried about my heart since then, but last night I pulled out the Omron and took my BP four times in a row just because I happened to think of it. Each time the BP was different, but normal. However, my resting HR was always in the 80's. I wasn't going to worry about it, since I felt OK, but now I am worrying!

Amethyst

Thought I'd update this with something that happened last night.

I've had the Omron HEM-712C for some years and do check my BP quite regularly. Around 10pm at home last night I felt a little dizzy so I checked my BP which was normal but my HR was high for me. (80's instead of 50's).

It did have a heart symbol on the display that I didn't recognize and past history from the log showed this was the first time it had appeared. I have the little booklet handy and the symbol means irregular heartbeat - go see a doctor.

An hour later I went to bed hoping to sleep it off and maybe make an appointment in the morning (I checked BP at 11 and still irregular heartbeat symbol). I couldn't sleep so I got up and checked BP again at 12 and BP was now elevated (150/100) and HR at 90. I decided to go to a local 24 ER clinic close by where it was clear to the Doc that I have atrial fibrillation. By 2:30am all blood work, and chest X-Rays are okay, the monitor still shows the problem there but I feel just fine, no dizziness, can walk around just fine etc. So the Doc discharges after an aspirin and injection of Lovenox in case of blood clots plus instructions to see a my regular doc today who she is sure will refer me onto a cardiologist. (Appointment booked, see him in 2 hrs)

Point of the post is to let the OP (Walt) know that checking BP as recommended by his Doc is a worthwhile thing because this morning my BP and HR are just fine (have taken them twice) so without that feedback last night I would simply have slept it off and not known I had this condition. 1 in a 100 of folks over age 50 apparently develop this and I do have a friend, same age as me (60), who has had the problem for a few years, although with him it is more typical and his heart races at 200bpm and he has spent many hours in an ER getting it regulated. (In the ER clinic my HR never got out of the 90's, and was in the 70's when I checked out)
WOW!!!

First of all, we also have the HEM-712C, and I check my blood pressure now and then. Enough to know how I am trending.

If either of us is feeling a little off - a little dizzy, or weak or whatever - we always check our BP first. If it is normal, we then don't worry about it unless it persists. [This is particularly helpful for DH who can obsess a little if he is not feeling well - for example if he ate something that didn't agree, but he finds a normal BP very reassuring.]

I had no idea about that symbol, and that the Omron device could detect irregular heart beat. WOW! This is so good to know!

You story just reinforces our instinct to check our BP when we don't feel well.

Thanks so much for sharing your story and the details!!

Hope your visit goes well.

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom