Measuring blood pressure and heart rate

I just got the "no HR over 150" recommendation - not due to a pacemaker but to an aortic aneurysm.
Mine is a pacemaker limitation. The cardiologist noted I would have to really convince him that allowing a higher heart rate in exchange for not getting MRIs for the rest of my life was worth it. He expects that there will be a PM that is MRI compliant before the time I need to get mine changed. When I push it at the gym... I do hit the 150 limit... but I'm running at about 160-175% of DW calorie burn rate or so when I do it.

It was more scary when I found out what it was and that the escape mechanism was not robust (would not reliably restart). Just lucky I guess.

I have found that the machines in the gym I go to don't read accurately any more... so telling my cardiologist those numbers would be worthless. I would have to test other meters to see if they'd measure accurately. My Omron seems to be reasonably correct.

Oh, I'm not relying on the HR readouts from the gym equipment, these are the hand-written records that I keep from the old-fashioned BP cuff and stethoscope kit that I bought at Walgreens.

Alan:
If they ever do have to do a cardioversion it wasn't anything to get too worried about, at least according to the ER doc. The equipment looks intimidating. In addition to the other wiring they attach to you, there are a couple of big "paddles" that look like they're going to do a shock as if to restart the heart as shown on TV, but these stick on. (BTW, they keep those things in the freezer - at least that's what it felt like when they went on.) The doc said I might have some muscle soreness in the chest afterward because of the sudden contraction but I did not experience that.

And of course I was "out" when it actually happened so have no memory of it.

Oh, I'm not relying on the HR readouts from the gym equipment, these are the hand-written records that I keep from the old-fashioned BP cuff and stethoscope kit that I bought at Walgreens.

The exercise machines were quite accurate before pacemaker. From my understanding the pacemaker can screw up many of the electronically sensed HR monitors... not just exercise machines. When I first got my pacemaker, I had issues with it going into distress mode. As the exercise machines did not report HR correctly, I just approximated it using a finger on the neck and just guessing the time factor. This worked well for what it was. They use a stress test to figure out what tweaks needed to be done with the pacemaker. It was going into distress and beating between 70 and 80bpm when it should have been in the 130-140 range.
hmmm... sounds like a project.

Alan:
If they ever do have to do a cardioversion it wasn't anything to get too worried about, at least according to the ER doc. The equipment looks intimidating. In addition to the other wiring they attach to you, there are a couple of big "paddles" that look like they're going to do a shock as if to restart the heart as shown on TV, but these stick on. (BTW, they keep those things in the freezer - at least that's what it felt like when they went on.) The doc said I might have some muscle soreness in the chest afterward because of the sudden contraction but I did not experience that.

Yeah, I was under general anesthesia when they did mine. The only negative result that I had was similar to a bad sunburn on a square section of my chest and back.

Unfortunately, they had discovered my A. Fib. well after it had become permanent -- probably two or more years -- so the cardioversion was simply a waste of time... well, it probably made a yacht payment.

It did, however, put me back in Sinus Rhythm for about two hours.

Nevertheless, that was fifteen years ago. I am sure medicine has advanced somewhat since then. <chuckle>

Alan - sorry to hear you've gone through this scary stuff.

DH has afib when he's under a lot of stress. He quit a job because of the stress and pressure - he landed in the ER twice from afib attacks after blame-game meetings. The first response was to put him on coumadin but he resisted - and after discussion with the cardiologist it was agreed that he didn't need it. Basically, he hasn't had any incidents since he reduced coffee intake dramatically and reduced stress dramatically. He got the all clear from the cardiologist that these changes seemed to do the trick.

He said it was VERY scary. I found out about both ER visits after the fact (GRRRR) and both times he drove himself (double GRRRR... he should have called me!!!) It's been 5 years since this all happened and his annual checks continue to be fine.

Alan - sorry to hear you've gone through this scary stuff.

DH has afib when he's under a lot of stress. He quit a job because of the stress and pressure - he landed in the ER twice from afib attacks after blame-game meetings. The first response was to put him on coumadin but he resisted - and after discussion with the cardiologist it was agreed that he didn't need it. Basically, he hasn't had any incidents since he reduced coffee intake dramatically and reduced stress dramatically. He got the all clear from the cardiologist that these changes seemed to do the trick.

He said it was VERY scary. I found out about both ER visits after the fact (GRRRR) and both times he drove himself (double GRRRR... he should have called me!!!) It's been 5 years since this all happened and his annual checks continue to be fine.

Thanks for the info, and really good to know that his cardiologist agreed that he could delay taking the coumadin. I expect I'll be having that discussion myself next week.

Has anyone looked into self monitoring with devices like this:

Very interesting. I am a sucker for gadgets. I checked to see if I could download the software to my BlackBerry Passport and it seemed to be compatible. Of course, you need the device... a quite reasonable (IMHO) $75.

We are leaving first thing tomorrow morning (RVing) and will be gone a month or so. I will definitely check this out when we return.

Thanks for posting.

The User Manual can be found here: AliveCor-User manual

I was diagnosed with high BP. I bought a BP monitor from CVS. I think it works well. My readings have improved dramatically since I started the medication and quit eating donuts. The two combined have done wonders.

'Druther have heart issues than cancer. A surprise episode of Vfib dropped me about 1 1/2 years ago - my gal kept up chest compressions and firemen shocked me back into action. Now wearing an implanted pacemaker. Last year, 2 days after a cardiologist visit and stress test, I passed out. Woke back up and late last summer was informed that the implanted device showed me having an episode of Afib the day I had passed out. We went south for the winter and I started trying to get a cardiologist visit. Did and was informed I had been in Afib since October. Well poop.

Cardiologist scheduled me for TEE and cardioversion to be followed by surgical ablation (scarring of an area of the heart as electrical impulses don't travel through scar tissue well). Before I got to the first scheduled visit I was finding myself unable to sleep on my back - felt like I was unable to get any oxygen. Tried to convince myself I was just a panicky baby, but after 5 nights the gal drove me to ER on the 23rd. Was pretty amusing having the EKG monitor alarming frequently and my heart doing some sort of jazz drummer riffs. Couldn't make out the tune, but there were a number of stops involved. Turned out fluid buildup around the heart was making for a very labored heart and the feeling of drowning. Heart failure they said - now that is a scary phrase that doesn't mean quite what it sounds like.

I got the TEE and cardioversion early and some drugs that gave the bladder a workout getting rid of excess fluid, which made me much more comfortable, then left hospital the night of the 27th. Monday I have another cardiologist visit to schedule the surgical ablation. Surgery is done via a small incision in the groin - kind of like honing a car's cylinder walls via the gas line from the tank. Feel in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in....

Last edited:
Glad to hear that you are getting checked out, Alan. Hope all goes well for you.

I have Atrial Flutter and Aortic Insufficiency. I had no symptons, except I would have to stop and rest when hiking uphill. I kept telling myself I had to get in better shape. I had echocardiograms, ekg and a stress test. They also did a chest xray, since I am a former smoker (quit in 1985). I was put on Metoprolol ER (a beta blocker) and Xarelto (a newer blood thinner). I was told that I could do pretty much any exercise I wished. I take the Xarelto once per day with my evening meal. I can eat anything and do not have to have my blood monitored. I have to admit that it makes me nervous taking the Xarelto, because from what I have read if you have a serious accident, you might bleed out. Scary!

Glad to hear that you are getting checked out, Alan. Hope all goes well for you.

I have Atrial Flutter and Aortic Insufficiency. I had no symptons, except I would have to stop and rest when hiking uphill. I kept telling myself I had to get in better shape. I had echocardiograms, ekg and a stress test. They also did a chest xray, since I am a former smoker (quit in 1985). I was put on Metoprolol ER (a beta blocker) and Xarelto (a newer blood thinner). I was told that I could do pretty much any exercise I wished. I take the Xarelto once per day with my evening meal. I can eat anything and do not have to have my blood monitored. I have to admit that it makes me nervous taking the Xarelto, because from what I have read if you have a serious accident, you might bleed out. Scary!

Good info, thanks. We have a lot of hiking uphill planned this year so that is a question on my list to ask the cardiologist next week. I think we are going to be tight on time to get some of these tests in before we start our planned vacation next month, so I have my fingers crossed.

As I've mentioned in other threads this was to be our last year of extreme travel, with plans to establish a permanent residence in the UK next year. At least we have managed 5 full years, 6 if this coming year works out, of extensive traveling where we have both been free of major health problems.

I wonder if Apple does sell a boatload of watches that monitor heart rates, will there be a (smaller) boatload of folks who discover they have atrial fibrillation who otherwise wouldn't have discovered it? Guess we'll see...

I wonder if Apple does sell a boatload of watches that monitor heart rates, will there be a (smaller) boatload of folks who discover they have atrial fibrillation who otherwise wouldn't have discovered it? Guess we'll see...

Just had a quick Google and apparently the Apple watch will warn about irregular heartbeat, so yes, it could result in more Afib discoveries early on.

Somehow I missed this thread. Been busy with out of town visitors.

Alan, I'm glad you have this condition under close watch and have a cardiologist visit scheduled before heading off to the U.K. I don't have any personal advice on heart issues or experiences as I have been pretty lucky and normal when I get looked at by the Doc. It looks like there is a wealth of experience posted in this thread in personal dealing with A fib and other issues.

At least the medical profession seems to have a thorough handle on heart issues and being in the Houston area is good because of the amount of excellent facilities that can solve cardiovascular problems.

Somehow I missed this thread. Been busy with out of town visitors.

Alan, I'm glad you have this condition under close watch and have a cardiologist visit scheduled before heading off to the U.K. I don't have any personal advice on heart issues or experiences as I have been pretty lucky and normal when I get looked at by the Doc. It looks like there is a wealth of experience posted in this thread in personal dealing with A fib and other issues.

At least the medical profession seems to have a thorough handle on heart issues and being in the Houston area is good because of the amount of excellent facilities that can solve cardiovascular problems.

Thanks. It is not the UK trip that is the concern, but the one in the US and Canada which is due to start next month. (UK trip is scheduled for April 2016).

Hopefully I'll know a bit more after Wednesday's appointment, but I expect there will be plenty of tests to get through in the coming weeks.

Thanks. It is not the UK trip that is the concern, but the one in the US and Canada which is due to start next month. (UK trip is scheduled for April 2016).

Sorry, somehow I have it stuck in my mind you are planning on relocating this year. :facepalm:

The User Manual can be found here: AliveCor-User manual

Was wondering about how this works with a pacemaker... they don't recommend using it with a pacemaker/defib.
I am a bit curious how it would interpret the pacemaker added signals.

clamloki, sorry to hear about all the gyrations with you've head with your heart.

Dreamer... have you considered that the beta blocker could be causing you to run short of breath when hiking up hill? Beta blockers tend to lower heart rate and I found would limit how high I could get it. I probably should not put this out there, but after I got my pacemaker I found online that the beta blocker is suspected as a possible contributor the issue that caused me to get a pacemaker.

Not Dead Yet!

Theme and variation on the a-fib story. More than 30 years ago I was diagnosed with a-fib but it was an unusual pattern, I was irregular at rest but went normal when moving. Just carried on with life (and I was a runner) for 25+ years and was OK until the whole pattern changed about 7 years ago (leading me to early retirement as it changed my perspective about work and I had 'enough'$) I started having petty serious a-fib, the bongo drums in the chest and fast (175-200+) HR (my resting HR is more like 55, sometimes below 50, when I was a serious runner), tried rate & rhythm meds, not effective, this was happening about once a week, so in Sept 2013 I had my first ablation procedure, the two cuts to the aorta in the groin & a wire in on a vein in the wrist, 6.5 hours later it was done and things got better although coumidan and aspirin required daily. I went just short of the 3 month non episode period and had more events, one big one that could not get my HR down below 175 for 4 hours with many meds and ER Dr later advised no defib machine use as she thought I would not survive it. And the holter monitor indicates asymptomatic events as well as atrial flutter. So in late Feb of this year I had my second ablation 'procedure' (DW prefers that term to surgery). Similar incisions and 6 hours long but totally new technology, instead of the catheters having cameras the new ones are much thinner and are viewed by magnetic resonance, Dr is not even in the room, could be across the country or the world. He blows up a 3D image on a screen and navigates and the sensor & burners can pivot 360 degrees. I am feeling great although I remember that I have to go 3 or 4 months without an a-fib event before declaring 'success' and the hope is I can then go off comuidan which I have been on for too long now.
As to heart monitors, I have a Polar sports watch and it is very good for showing HR, max, average and time in training zones. There are several free iPhone apps, I use Argus, which use the iPhone camera to read HR, these are not as convenient as the sports watch but I always have it with me and the optical reading actually shows heart patterns, some really interesting patterns in a-fib more info than just HR. I expect the Apple watch would be similar if reading optically.
I tell the Dr and others that I have a PhD in my heart, I kept a spread sheet for a couple years with daily meds, blood test results, HR incident including frequency, intensity and duration. Dr looked at them and prefers the info from various monitors I have worn at different times.
The head MD gave a good description of the cause of the most common forms of a-fib, its simply age. Just as our skin wrinkles with age so the heart does too, and the wrinkles disturb the flow (like laminar flow) of electrons across the heart. If we didn't age then there would be a lot less a-fib. I think the numbers are that one in eight males over 65 will have a-fib although many may not require treatment, so its pretty common and as more is learned about it better diagnosis and treatment will develop.
Interesting travel a-fib stories like hitting 176 HR while climbing to the Tigers Nest Monastery in Bhutan, talked to a German traveler and he said, "Oh no, dat could not be tru, you would be dead"
Not dead yet. (You know where that reference comes from)

The head MD gave a good description of the cause of the most common forms of a-fib, its simply age. Just as our skin wrinkles with age so the heart does too, and the wrinkles disturb the flow (like laminar flow) of electrons across the heart. If we didn't age then there would be a lot less a-fib. I think the numbers are that one in eight males over 65 will have a-fib although many may not require treatment, so its pretty common and as more is learned about it better diagnosis and treatment will develop.

You didn't mention anything about changing your diet as a way to alleviate a-fib. You might want to at least look into some of the research on diet and a-fib, as you might find that there are some changes you can make that would be helpful. Here is one short article that touches on the subject (there are lots more.......just do a search).

Atrial Fibrillation: Alternative Treatment

Wow yakers, that is quite a story, I hope all continues to be well.

Back
Top Bottom