Measuring blood pressure and heart rate

Yes, a very informative webMD link for A-fib. But don't you find the slide of the slightly smiling doctor holding up the defibrillator paddles a little unnerving?

Yes, a very informative webMD link for A-fib. But don't you find the slide of the slightly smiling doctor holding up the defibrillator paddles a little unnerving?

Yes, I did find that a bit creepy, and funny at the same time :D

He has a reason to smile. (No offense intended but I couldn't resist...)

Attachments

• paddles.JPG
    paddles.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 8
I got a letter today from my HI approving the request to have a nuclear stress test. I didn't even know this was in doubt as I had my nuclear stress test 4 days ago.

Trickiest part of the test was that my heart didn't get stressed until minute 13 while I was running up hill on the treadmill, and that is the point they put the big syringe into the IV port in my arm while I hold it out straight and try not to go whizzing off the end of the treadmill.

I get the results end of the month when I see the cardio doc. Fingers crossed.

... she had come across a lot of men who really did not want to go to meetings and such where others could see an unsightly bulge under their clothing.

I thought that would depend on the location of the bulge. No? :angel:

... she had come across a lot of men who really did not want to go to meetings and such where others could see an unsightly bulge under their clothing.

I thought that would depend on the location of the bulge. No? :angel:

I think those that thought it was a "sightly" bulge were the ones that didn't complain.

Hmmm... Could we be talking about different "things" here?

My bad. I should have written "bulges". You know, biceps, pectoral muscles. ;)

And whether something is sightly or not, that's highly subjective, so we cannot really debate that.

In 2 days I'll have an echo-cardiogram and next week a nuclear stress test. I then see him again on April 29th, just before we set off on our 6 month holiday.
Here's wishing you the best of luck tomorrow...and a stress free holiday. :flowers:

Last edited:
Here's wishing you the best of luck tomorrow...and a stress free holiday. :flowers:

Thank you very much.:greetings10:

I am certainly a little anxious ahead of the appointment tomorrow, even though I haven't had any problems since the trip to the ER.

Thought I would update this thread following my long trip away. I did take my BP monitor with us although I didn't use it every day. I had 3 more A-Fib incidents that I know of, each time the irregular HR reset itself within 2 or 3 hours. On each occurrence the HR was elevated only a little so I didn't go see a doctor.

Once again I noticed that the BP increases over time but as soon as I do 10 - 15 minutes HIIT it immediately comes back down to acceptable levels. During the last 2 weeks of the vacation, in Glacier NP and Yellowstone we hiked extensively but the BP had gone high again, every day with the high reading over 140 or 150, 2 days over 160. It was the same for a couple of days when we got back but then dropped into the 120's immediately I started doing 10 minutes a day of HIIT.

Prior to exercise this morning I put on my chest strap heart monitor and my watch couldn't get a reading, the little heart symbol pulsing erratically. I felt my pulse and could tell it was irregular so I confirmed it with my BP monitor. 2nd time this week this has happened but this time I decided to go anyway and by the time I walked over to the gym it was registering as normal, and 30 minutes later I took my BP again and all was normal.

I had 3 more A-Fib incidents that I know of, each time the irregular HR reset itself within 2 or 3 hours. On each occurrence the HR was elevated only a little so I didn't go see a doctor.

That is still unsettling, I would imagine.

I don't remember - - have you tried completely eliminating caffeine? The reason I ask, is that my ex-husband had a similar problem and the Navy doctor told him to cut out all coffee and other caffeine sources. After doing that he never had another episode. Just trying to be helpful... :)

Thought I would update this thread following my long trip away. I did take my BP monitor with us although I didn't use it every day. I had 3 more A-Fib incidents that I know of, each time the irregular HR reset itself within 2 or 3 hours. On each occurrence the HR was elevated only a little so I didn't go see a doctor.

Once again I noticed that the BP increases over time but as soon as I do 10 - 15 minutes HIIT it immediately comes back down to acceptable levels. During the last 2 weeks of the vacation, in Glacier NP and Yellowstone we hiked extensively but the BP had gone high again, every day with the high reading over 140 or 150, 2 days over 160. It was the same for a couple of days when we got back but then dropped into the 120's immediately I started doing 10 minutes a day of HIIT.

Prior to exercise this morning I put on my chest strap heart monitor and my watch couldn't get a reading, the little heart symbol pulsing erratically. I felt my pulse and could tell it was irregular so I confirmed it with my BP monitor. 2nd time this week this has happened but this time I decided to go anyway and by the time I walked over to the gym it was registering as normal, and 30 minutes later I took my BP again and all was normal.

BP is notoriously variable, but irregular heart beats should be checked. A simple ECG will tell the doctor a lot.

PS how did you like Glacier NP. I was there in June to see Lake MacDonald and Logan Pass.

PS how did you like Glacier NP. I was there in June to see Lake MacDonald and Logan Pass.

We were there this year and a couple years ago. They are going to need to change the name to The Park formerly called Glacier. There are many more glaciers in Colorado and all of them are bigger than those found in the NP. Anyone believing Global Warming is a myth should visit that Park.

BP is notoriously variable, but irregular heart beats should be checked. A simple ECG will tell the doctor a lot.

See earlier posts on this thread about my visits to the hospital and cardio doctor. I have paroxysmal A-Fib. All tests were passed with flying colors except the 48hr halter monitor which showed occasions of skipped beats.

http://www.early-retirement.org/for...ssure-and-heart-rate-74911-3.html#post1570087

Really enjoyed Glacier NP, it was our first visit.

DH had an occasional pre-beat (feels like a skipped beat). Not dangerous, just a bit unsettling. He cut out caffeine and it went away. After a few years while visiting family he was drinking the readily available caffeinated tea. After about four days he had a pre-beat incident. Switched to decaf tea only. Went away again. None since.

He drinks decaf tea and coffee - no problem.

It's worth a try.

I don't remember - - have you tried completely eliminating caffeine? The reason I ask, is that my ex-husband had a similar problem and the Navy doctor told him to cut out all coffee and other caffeine sources. After doing that he never had another episode. Just trying to be helpful... :)
DH had an occasional pre-beat (feels like a skipped beat). Not dangerous, just a bit unsettling. He cut out caffeine and it went away. After a few years while visiting family he was drinking the readily available caffeinated tea. After about four days he had a pre-beat incident. Switched to decaf tea only. Went away again. None since.

He drinks decaf tea and coffee - no problem.

It's worth a try.

It is indeed unsettling, and I feel sure it will get worse over time, although doesn't expect it to get worse until after age 65. (I had my visit to the ER in March, 6 weeks after my 60th birthday :nonono:)

The cardio doc didn't think I have been drinking enough caffeine to contribute to the cause. However, I immediately gave up almost all caffeine, only decaf coffee and no sodas at all since March, but I still have 1 cup of tea per day.

In today's post on Medline's Atrial Fibrilation Blog was this article disputing the coffee connection to irregular heart beats.

Thanks for the link. However, for now I've given up of caffeinated coffee, it's a very small sacrifice.

Other than age I have none of the risk factors that the cardio doc showed me on the calculator he uses for stroke assessment due to A-Fib.

I was actually relieved not to have to go on blood thinning medication, other than an aspirin per day. I see the doc again in November.

I'm pretty sure my BP would be zero without coffee!

As an aside, at my usual dental hygienist appointment yesterday, BP was 106/62. Not enough coffee...

It is indeed unsettling, and I feel sure it will get worse over time, although doesn't expect it to get worse until after age 65. (I had my visit to the ER in March, 6 weeks after my 60th birthday :nonono:)

The cardio doc didn't think I have been drinking enough caffeine to contribute to the cause. However, I immediately gave up almost all caffeine, only decaf coffee and no sodas at all since March, but I still have 1 cup of tea per day.

Not to beat this issue to death... :horse: But, both decaf and some tea contain some small but measurable amount of caffeine. This list is very illuminating:

Caffeine content for coffee, tea, soda and more - Mayo Clinic

I would go ahead and cut out ALL caffeine if it was me (YMMV and that is OK too! Just trying to be helpful.). There's a lot of money in the sales of caffeinated beverages and foods, and call me a cynic but I think that sometimes the allowable total daily caffeine levels may be a little high. Some people do have an extreme reaction to small amounts of caffeine and reducing your caffeine intake to zero for, say, six months would fully eliminate caffeine as the potential culprit. This would not be hard for you to do, now that you are consuming so little of it.

Last edited:
Not to beat this issue to death... :horse: But, both decaf and some tea contain some small but measurable amount of caffeine. This list is very illuminating:

Caffeine content for coffee, tea, soda and more - Mayo Clinic

I would go ahead and cut out ALL caffeine if it was me (YMMV and that is OK too! Just trying to be helpful.). There's a lot of money in the sales of caffeinated beverages and foods, and call me a cynic but I think that sometimes the allowable total daily caffeine levels may be a little high. Some people do have an extreme reaction to small amounts of caffeine and reducing your caffeine intake to zero for, say, six months would fully eliminate caffeine as the potential culprit. This would not be hard for you to do, now that you are consuming so little of it.

Thanks, I'm aware of the caffiene in de-caf drinks, and the cardio doc also mentioned this. I would have thought that if caffeine was the cause it would happen closer to the consumption of it. The incidents that have happened since the one in March that had me going to the urgent care center have all been many hours after the consumption of the last de-caf coffee or cup of tea.

However, I take your point and will try cutting out caffeine completely.

It's bad enough being an Electrical Engineer with a wiring problem in his heart, but an Englishman that doesn't drink tea? :nonono:

Thanks, I'm aware of the caffiene in de-caf drinks, and the cardio doc also mentioned this. I would have thought that if caffeine was the cause it would happen closer to the consumption of it. The incidents that have happened since the one in March that had me going to the urgent care center have all been many hours after the consumption of the last de-caf coffee or cup of tea.

However, I take your point and will try cutting out caffeine completely.

It's bad enough being an Electrical Engineer with a wiring problem in his heart, but an Englishman that doesn't drink tea? :nonono:

My husband's incident was not immediate either. Sometimes things accumulate or are delayed.

Of course your incidents may have nothing to do with caffeine.

My husband enjoys an excellent decaf Earl Grey from Murchies, and their decaf afternoon blend is good too. Drinking decaf tea doesn't bother him at all. When we travel to Europe he has to bring his own and/or drink herbal teas.

DH did a bit of web research to narrow down any possible environmental causes. He was lucky to find a solution for his case.

Last edited:

:2funny: I hear you!

If you are going to completely eliminate caffeine, I guess you could have... um.... hot water? You could call it tea, and probably nobody would even notice. ;)

Last edited:
Root Beer does not have caffeine. And the taste is strong enough that one won't notice if they are drinking diet Root Beer or not. I will recommend the RootBeer with 10 calories per serving (A&W 10). it has enough fructose to be helpful, but not so much to be worried about gaining weight.

Back
Top Bottom