Join Early Retirement Today

medical conditions that could put me on another OMY just to keep group insurance?
Old 09-04-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

medical conditions that could put me on another OMY just to keep group insurance?

My OMY plan keeps moving. I thought I could quit around January of 2015, but looks like I will have to check again.

My dental implant is in phase II (just put in the implant). Now I will need to wait for 6 months then put on the crown next February.

Last week, I got some pins and needles pain on my left knee. I went to see my primary physician. He said that I have tendonitis and prescribed Naproxen. After two days, I feel much better, but I read that this could take a while to fully recover, if ever.

While at the doctor's office, nurse measured my blood pressure: 106/60. This is the lowest that I ever remembered. Not sure why my blood pressure is lower now. I did not ask but I will ask my doctor when I see him again next month.

I am 58. I am not exactly sure if my body is telling me to keep going with work, or it is time to quit. If I quit, will ACA plan be comparable to my group health plan? That is a question I need to evaluate.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your medical issues. The dental will probably be more of an issue than the medical from what I can tell. You can find ACA plans that are comparable to group plans, as well as others with lower premiums and larger deductibles, but with caps on out-of-pocket spend. You might go ahead and start looking at healthcare.gov and/or your state exchange website to get familiar with policies and providers and research things that are important to you, even though open enrollment for January doesn't start for several weeks.

Good luck!

MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry to hear about your issues. That would be a tough choice.

About the tendonitis, I've had it for years now in my elbows and forearms, brought on by overuse. Pain killers and stretching help it, and eliminating the overuse (partly work related, partly wood carving). Treat the cause and not just the symptom and you'll be better off. I still have flare ups, and have to be careful to avoid excessive use and repetitive motions. It's not cured, but it's not something you need to postpone your retirement for.

I would keep an eye on that blood pressure, you can get machines to check it at home. Low blood pressure can cause dizzyness and fainting, especially when getting up from a seated or lying down position, and especially if you do it too fast. Get up slowly if you've been sitting or laying down for a long time.
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by meekie View Post

I would keep an eye on that blood pressure, you can get machines to check it at home. Low blood pressure can cause dizzyness and fainting, especially when getting up from a seated or lying down position, and especially if you do it too fast. Get up slowly if you've been sitting or laying down for a long time.
The other thing to use a home blood pressure monitor is to take readings and provide a list to your doctor at an exam. More readings over time are better.