Medical Records

Yup, just got my card (not good for a few more weeks yet). SSN right there, big as life. The SOBs even had the gall to suggest I not carry it with me - except when I would be visiting my doc (ID theft and all:mad:).

You might cut it out of the card, or overprint it with a sticker. If anyone asks why, it's to help protect against ID theft.

Doing so would render it useless for medical care. I'll take the ID theft risk. :)

Is that an SSA/Medicare rule? If so, do you have a link/reference? I'd be surprised since all that's missing is the SSN, which the patient can recite if necessary.

Is that an SSA/Medicare rule? If so, do you have a link/reference? I'd be surprised since all that's missing is the SSN, which the patient can recite if necessary.
I doubt that it is a Medicare rule, but it could be. With all the concern about fraudulent use of Medicare services, I doubt doctors offices or hospitals would readily accept a Medicare card that had been tampered with.

The solution is for Medicare to stop using SS#'s as your insurance ID. Congress has talked about a bill to mandate the change, but has been too busy lining their pockets to actually pass meaningful legislation.

Last edited:
With all the concern about fraudulent use of Medicare services, I doubt doctors offices or hospitals would readily accept a Medicare card that had been tampered with.
So people actually check for a Medicare card? It thought once you were in the system with your SSN then nobody bothered to look at it.

Sigh. I'm going to have to ask my brother if he's seen Dad's Medicare card. Nobody's asked for it yet on my end (the financial side). Apparently nobody's asked for it at the care facility or the oncologist's office either.

Maybe Dad is still carrying it around in his wallet.

Another funny thing is the practice of making a photocopy of your insurance card.

Doctors fees are heavily regulated, making it difficult for small offices to keep up with the types of technology that offer no return on the investment. Older docs are reluctant to take the investment out of their retirement accounts and younger docs are straddled with debt. A possible solution would be a records fee to be paid annually by the patient out of pocket. This fee would cover the technology and the staff required to service it.

I wonder whether conversion to electronic would save them money in the long run?

The mailed records have still not shown up, so they will be mailed again.

I wonder whether conversion to electronic would save them money in the long run?

Lost and with all your personal info all over them.

TromboneAl said:

Perhaps. For all the reasons stated thus far, electronic conversion is superior. Maybe the best reason is legibility. From a study I read, medical errors are the 3rd leading cause of death behind cancer and heart disease and the number one cause of medical errors is poor handwriting/ records. If that is true, then at least indirectly, electronic records should be cheaper. I believe patients think the transition is worth it, even if it ends up costing them twenty bucks/year.

grasshopper said:
Lost and with all your personal info all over them.

I don't think there is a privacy argument involving electronic vs. written. Both have pitfalls, but I would lean in favor of written records on this issue. My office encourages patients to pick up their records. I also have a few patients who ask for a running copy of their records each time they come in and we are happy to oblige.

Back
Top Bottom