Join Early Retirement Today

Medical Technology is great
Old 06-28-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Medical Technology is great

DW was complaining about "heart burn" and other ailments for the last few days. On Friday, I was 400 km away working on DD's house. She (DW) got her cousin to take her to the local GP who didn't bother to put a stethoscope to chest or anything else but gave her an an-acid prescription. So, I get home Saturday. DW feels rotten. Sunday she says "take me to emergency". I did. She thought she had "stomach" trouble. Within 15 minutes, the staff determined that she was having a heart attack (not that surprising since she has SLE). Anyway, 3 hours and a stent later she is doing fine.

IFIRC, about 40 years ago, a friend had a similar experience. They stabilized him, watched him and he got better. A few months later, he had another and died.

We've gone from observation to cardiac bypass (yes, still needed in some cases) to angioplasty and stents. I was actually surprised at how quickly they dealt with DW. If you look (and not that hard) you'll find stories about the long wait times for medical procedures in Canada. 3 hours seems reasonable to me.

I doubt DW would be here (and in good condition) if someone hadn't developed/invented cardiac stents. Good for them.

However, as an equal opportunity observer, I wish my DB had never had venous stents for "liberation treatment" for MS. Maybe Dr. Zamboni should stick to ice rinks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2011, 02:05 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So I hope you are going to get a new GP. Glad to hear she is doing well.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
DW was complaining about "heart burn" and other ailments for the last few days. On Friday, I was 400 km away working on DD's house. She (DW) got her cousin to take her to the local GP who didn't bother to put a stethoscope to chest or anything else but gave her an an-acid prescription. So, I get home Saturday. DW feels rotten. Sunday she says "take me to emergency". I did. She thought she had "stomach" trouble. Within 15 minutes, the staff determined that she was having a heart attack (not that surprising since she has SLE). Anyway, 3 hours and a stent later she is doing fine.

IFIRC, about 40 years ago, a friend had a similar experience. They stabilized him, watched him and he got better. A few months later, he had another and died.

We've gone from observation to cardiac bypass (yes, still needed in some cases) to angioplasty and stents. I was actually surprised at how quickly they dealt with DW. If you look (and not that hard) you'll find stories about the long wait times for medical procedures in Canada. 3 hours seems reasonable to me.

I doubt DW would be here (and in good condition) if someone hadn't developed/invented cardiac stents. Good for them.

However, as an equal opportunity observer, I wish my DB had never had venous stents for "liberation treatment" for MS. Maybe Dr. Zamboni should stick to ice rinks.
Glad DW did OK.

Canada tries to meet the same door to needle/balloon times for an acute ST elevation MI as established by the AHA here in the US. They have the same challenges as US ER's. This is also a good reminder that woman are much more likely to have atypical symptoms then men.

DD
Old 06-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

That was a close call. Glad for the good outcome.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
gone traveling

Technology is great, but I'm more concerned with how its applied, both in terms of correct use and to minimize cost.

Glad to hear your DW went through this situation and procedure OK.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post

I am glad that your DW is OK.
My DW had a similar event a week after she retired. She had chest discomfort so we went to her GP. They took chest-xray and blood test and we went home to wait for the results. The GP called us back and said to go to the Emergency Room. The GP is suspecting a heart attack (from the blood test). We went to ER where they did some tests, including the same blood test. After some hours, the attending physician sent us home. It turned out to be heartburn/acid reflux. The blood test turned out normal the second time.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
Glad DW did OK.

Canada tries to meet the same door to needle/balloon times for an acute ST elevation MI as established by the AHA here in the US. They have the same challenges as US ER's. This is also a good reminder that woman are much more likely to have atypical symptoms then men.

DD
US desired standard is 90 minutes from door to 'balloon.' Makes a huge difference in outcomes.

Glad you wife did well - and, yes, medical technology is pretty cool. Been working with it now for 20 years....
Old 07-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

kumquat, you can thank the government of Saskatchewan, which is working to decrease surgical wait times. Glad it's working!

Saskatchewan Surgical Initiative - Health - Government of Saskatchewan
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Glad your wife is okay . A heart attack is a scary event .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:05 AM   #10

While I'm all for advances in medical technology, the best medicine is preventative medicine (i.e., take care of yourself as much as possible).
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

+1
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:24 AM   #12

DW went back to the GP today. He seemed surprised that she felt better and had no "heart burn" since the "incident".

Don't know his future, but our friend (and my GP) isn't an option since she died at Xmas. Better nobody than knowdo nothing.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:55 AM   #13

I am glad to read things turned out ok, kumquat.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote