Medicare

ripper1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My DW will be on medicare in a few years. I was government worker and did not pay into social security. So when I am of age shortly after her I will be on her benefit for medicare. My question is do I have to pay my portion of a Part A or B?

No, Medicare benefits are individual. I assume even though you did not pay into SS that you did pay into Medicare via a payroll deduction. Check your paystub's deductions.

No, Medicare benefits are individual. I assume even though you did not pay into SS that you did pay into Medicare via a payroll deduction. Check your paystub's deductions.
No, I did not pay into medicare. I still think I am eligible to go on her benefit. I just don't know if I have to pay for my own A or B.

My DW will be on medicare in a few years. I was government worker and did not pay into social security. So when I am of age shortly after her I will be on her benefit for medicare. My question is do I have to pay my portion of a Part A or B?

Everyone on Medicare has to pay for part B, including your DW. She won't have to pay for part A, don't know about your situation.

You are eligible for Medicare at age 65. There is no provision in Medicare to be "on" someone else's benefit. You will have to pay the monthly premium like us who have paid in for our entire working careers. Since your wife is eligible for Medicare, you are also:

From Medicare's site:

Most people age 65 or older who are citizens or permanent residents of the United States are eligible for free Medicare hospital insurance (Part A). You are eligible at age 65 if:

• You receive or are eligible to receive Social Security benefits; or
  • You receive or are eligible to receive railroad retirement benefits; or
  • Your spouse is eligible; or
  • You or your spouse (living or deceased, including divorced spouses) worked long enough in a government job where Medicare taxes were paid; or
  • You are the dependent parent of a fully insured deceased child.
If you do not meet these requirements, you may be able to get Medicare hospital insurance by paying a monthly premium. Usually, you can sign up for this hospital insurance only during designated enrollment periods.

You are eligible for Medicare at age 65. There is no provision in Medicare to be "on" someone else's benefit. You will have to pay the monthly premium like us who have paid in for our entire working careers. Since your wife is eligible for Medicare, you are also:

From Medicare's site:

Most people age 65 or older who are citizens or permanent residents of the United States are eligible for free Medicare hospital insurance (Part A). You are eligible at age 65 if:

• You receive or are eligible to receive Social Security benefits; or
  • You receive or are eligible to receive railroad retirement benefits; or
  • Your spouse is eligible; or
  • You or your spouse (living or deceased, including divorced spouses) worked long enough in a government job where Medicare taxes were paid; or
  • You are the dependent parent of a fully insured deceased child.
If you do not meet these requirements, you may be able to get Medicare hospital insurance by paying a monthly premium. Usually, you can sign up for this hospital insurance only during designated enrollment periods.
What is the monthly premium? I thought I read somewhere it was like 104 dollars. I assume then it would be 104x2 then.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the monthly premium? I thought I read somewhere it was like 104 dollars. I assume then it would be 104x2 then.

The Part B rate is $104.90 for most people.
Full info is at the Medicare website for this and other costs. Check whether you need to pay for Part A as well while you're there.

Back
Top Bottom