Medicare Advantage and Travel

Archman

Recycles dryer sheets
Will a Medicare advantage plan cover a medical emergency or urgent care while travelling overseas or out of network if in the USA ? :confused:

Emergency coverage in the USA - yes.

Traveling overseas - maybe. https://medicarepartc.com/medicare-advantage-traveling/

After more research, I found that Humana Gold Plus webpage(www.humana.com/medicare/products-and-services/medicare-advantage/humana-gold-plus-hmo) states:

"Emergency coverage anywhere in the world".

Then later it says:

Humana Gold Plus plans cover all the benefits of Original Medicare and much more, including:

"............ Emergency coverage when you travel outside the U.S." :dance:

I'd be hesitant to have Medicare Advantage in the U.S. I felt the same way about HMO's when I was a member--okay for minor medical issues but terrible if something major happens.

Recently, Vanderbilt Hospital's refused to accept Medicare Advantage and it's wreaked havoc on their hospital and all the doctors' practices they've purchased throughout the region--1700 physicians and nurse practitioners.

I'm just on Medicare with a United Healthcare supplement and Part D (medicines) bought on the open market. I am covered outside the U.S.

Those with Medicare Advantage should consider taking out trip insurance slanted toward healthcare when traveling outside the U.S., including Canada and Mexico.

I'm just on Medicare with a United Healthcare supplement and Part D (medicines) bought on the open market. I am covered outside the U.S.
I just wanted to note the $50k lifetime foreign medical reimbursement limit on Medigap plans that cover it.

The AARP Medicare Supplement Insurance Plans insured by UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company -

1 You must also pay a separate deductible for foreign travel emergency of $250 per year. This benefit is subject to a lifetime maximum of $50,000.
Reference: https://www.aarpmedicareplans.com/health-plans/medicare-supplement-plans.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom