Medicare Advantage more common that I expected

When I worked in outpatient rehab about a decade ago, the Medicare Advantage plans were problematic. Many had a limited number of visits for PT per year (or per condition per year, which was somewhat better). That's a real problem for seniors, who need rehab much more than any other age group.

I'm not sure if this is still the case.

In my case, no, there are no limits on physical therapy. It covers whatever Medicare would cover. That, of course, does not mean it's that way for all.

When I worked in outpatient rehab about a decade ago, the Medicare Advantage plans were problematic. Many had a limited number of visits for PT per year (or per condition per year, which was somewhat better). That's a real problem for seniors, who need rehab much more than any other age group.

I'm not sure if this is still the case.

For DGF, there are limitations for each event, but no limitations overall.

(The original post explained my hubby purchases traditional Medicare and a Plan N supplement in case we have to put him back together someday.)

He has leaf OCD, I think. He was up on the roof again yesterday and today. It's a special kind of torture in Florida where it seems to me the trees grow and lose leaves year round. I want to build a set of steps to the roof.

I just realized yesterday there is no longer someone always home (my mother died recently) so now he is required to have either me or our neighbor around and aware he is making a trip to the roof.

If you travel out of state within the USA, you want to have Medigap, not Advantage.

If you travel out of state within the USA, you want to have Medigap, not Advantage.
Only true if you do not have MA through a BCBS affiliate. Then their arrangements with the association get you access in every state where there is a BCBS plan.
Only true if you have an HMO Medicare Advantage plan. If your MA plan is a PPO, you have access but pay more as it is out of area (unless your plan is with BlueCross BlueShield).

-Rita

It depends on the Medigap and Advantage plans.

My DW's Advantage plan is good anywhere Medicare assignment is accepted. That means in any state.

My Medigap plan (by BCBS) is something they call "Select." It only covers hospitals they've negotiated rates with and all are local. Emergency hospitalization is covered at any hospital, but elective procedures are only covered by the local hospitals on their "Select" list.

I think what you're saying is true much of the time. Just pointing out that not all Medigap and Advantage plans are the same and each needs to be evaluated on its own merits.

My Advantage PPO plan is also good anywhere Medicare is accepted. And coverage is the same whether in network or out of network.

Back
Top Bottom