Join Early Retirement Today

Medicare card -How long does it take to get card after applying via the web?
Old 09-05-2016, 08:52 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Medicare card -How long does it take to get card after applying via the web?

I turn 65 in about 3 months. On September 1, I applied for retirement benefits and Medicare at this web site:

https://secure.ssa.gov/iClaim/rib

1) If you have applied using this method, how long did it take to receive your Medicare card after applying?

2) Though I answered questions pertaining to Medicare Part B, there was no mention on that web form specifically about Part A. Does one automatically get Medicare Part A when applying for Part B and retirement benefits?

I called the SSA, but the wait time to speak with a human was too long.

Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 09:18 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Part A will be automatic with the claim you filed. The card should be delivered within 2-3 weeks. You can create a mySSA account and they day or two after the claim is processed you can print out a benefit verification letter showing your retirement and Medicare amounts/entitlements.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
nate2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It's been 3 years so I don't remember exactly when I got it after applying online. I do remember that I had a doctor appointment very close to my birthday, maybe a day after, and I had the Medicare card in plenty of time for that. So I'd say you will get it at least several weeks before your birthday.

Yes, Part A is free so you don't have to pay for that part and your Medicare card will say on it both Part A and Part B.

Edited to add: Oops! Nate beat me to the punch. What he said is correct.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just turned 65 last month, and also applied about 3 months in advance. I was surprised how quickly I received my Medicare card....I would say within 3 weeks.

I also applied for a prescription plan to start in August, and received that promptly. I delayed applying for a Medigap plan until August because I knew I had 6 months of "open enrollment" before it would be underwritten, and wanted to start it in October. I received that card within 3 weeks as well, so I'm all set. It all went pretty easily.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #5

I applied last year online, like the others it was a bit over two weeks but I don't think it exceeded three weeks. Call it 2.5 weeks.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I remember getting mine not too soon before it was effective, not more than three weeks before I could use it. A year later I filed for SS under DH's record and was surprised to receive a new Medicare card with a different account/claim/member number using his SS number vs mine. That arrived no more than ten days before it was valid.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you all for the quick responses!
Old 09-05-2016, 07:54 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Is medicare mail forwarded to a temporary address? I turn 65 next April. We winter in AZ from Jan 1 thru April 1. I'm worried the post office won't forward my medicare mail to our AZ address. Can I print a temporary card from their website?

I like to worry early about future events!!!
calico1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:13 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Note that actually medicare starts on the 1st of the month you turn 65 not your birthday. If you are born on the first it starts the first of the month before. Your card will have an effective date on it.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:51 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by template View Post
I turn 65 in about 3 months. On September 1, I applied for retirement benefits and Medicare at this web site:

https://secure.ssa.gov/iClaim/rib

1) If you have applied using this method, how long did it take to receive your Medicare card after applying?
This is a followup my original question. I received a "Notice of Award" letter exactly 2 weeks after I applied and my Medicare card arrived 2 days after the letter.

Thanks to all who posted.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:45 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Yes, Part A is free so you don't have to pay

Like many gummet programs, we all know that it is not really free.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:53 PM   #12
gone traveling

Can't remember exactly, but think it was 2-3 weeks till card arrived.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:55 PM   #13
gone traveling

Those who take early SS are auto-enrolled for Medicare A & B at age 65.

https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-cha...nd-part-b.html

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:17 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I applied online about 3 months in advanced and it seems that I recall the card/booklet/info arrived in a few weeks. I guess the government has been doing this long enough now that they have it working. So far even the claims process has been working okay.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #15

DH received his medicare card this week (for a Jan birthday). We still need to get him signed up for a supplemental or advantage plan. That's on our agenda next month (October).
Old 09-17-2016, 06:20 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Like many gummet programs, we all know that it is not really free.

We also all know what the original poster meant by free

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
mh is offline   Reply With Quote