Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatumPoint5 View Post
Also, if you were to choose a "Plan C" it would be a Medicare Advantage choice. Once you go into an advantage plan, it is difficult if not impossible to "go back".
In my earlier message, I was responding to this post:
If you have Medicare Advantage, at open enrollment time you can go back - to Traditional Medicare. You MAY not be able to get a Medicare Supplement based on health underwriting.
Hope that's clear!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2018, 01:10 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
One can always drop a Medigap plan and return to traditional medicare. Same for Part C (Medicare Advantage). At open enrollment time you can retun to traditional Medicare. What you may not be able to do is move to a different Medigap plan with being underwritten.

Al, the insurance commissioner in the state of California also has great resources about Medigap. Start here:
Guide to Medicare Supplement
Huh? A Medigap plan goes along with traditional Medicare, Dropping it means you are on the hook for the 20% copays. Can get very expensive if you are diagnosed with cancer, as my in-laws unfortunately found out a couple of years after they decided their Medigap was just too expensive and dropped it.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:53 PM   #43

This was original Medicare, not Medicare Advantage. I understand the difference and would never enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan. The information was in a link from the pension system's contractor site IIRC, but I can't find it now.

I have a couple of months before the window opens, but I'm leaning towards the AARP plans, probably F if they offer it. It looks like their contractor offers it, but I can't see the plans until the window opens. I guess part of the price of the insurance is a lot of junk mail and junk e-mail from AARP and all the companies to which they sell the list of members. I would never join AARP if it were not for the insurance...
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:49 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
This was original Medicare, not Medicare Advantage. I understand the difference and would never enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan. The information was in a link from the pension system's contractor site IIRC, but I can't find it now.

I have a couple of months before the window opens, but I'm leaning towards the AARP plans, probably F if they offer it. It looks like their contractor offers it, but I can't see the plans until the window opens. I guess part of the price of the insurance is a lot of junk mail and junk e-mail from AARP and all the companies to which they sell the list of members. I would never join AARP if it were not for the insurance...
It's interesting you say that because I felt exactly the same way. I started working with a broker who recommended AARP because of his clients' high satisfaction with their plans but I said I would never use them because I belonged once and couldn't stop the flood of junk mail (it literally took years after I cancelled my membership. I capitulated and signed up for the AARP plan but had to re-join AARP first. While talking to them on the phone to sign up I let them know that I was doing so only if I could opt out of ALL junk mail for AARP and their associated companies/advertisers. I was told I could. I have been very pleasantly surprised that after over a year I haven't received any junk mail from them!
NoMoreJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Okay, my zip is 95570 (Trinidad, CA), but when I put in 95501 (McKinleyville), there are some to choose from.

Medigap Policy A, Medigap Policy B, etc. Are those standard policy types? That is, do all Policy Bs have the same benefits, etc??

Are independent agents a good idea, or should I view them as I do financial planners?

Thanks, guys.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:46 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Al, are you saying you don't see ANY Medigap providers when you put in your 95570 zip because I see dozens when I use your zip in Medicare.gov.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:52 PM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Okay, my zip is 95570 (Trinidad, CA), but when I put in 95501 (McKinleyville), there are some to choose from.

Medigap Policy A, Medigap Policy B, etc. Are those standard policy types? That is, do all Policy Bs have the same benefits, etc??

Are independent agents a good idea, or should I view them as I do financial planners?

Thanks, guys.
When I input zipcode 95570 I see an assortment of plans available, including 11 Plan F Hi-Ded.

See this PDF, https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/02...igap.guide.pdf especially page 11. Medigap policies are standard an regulated, so all "A" are exactly the same, B, etc.
What you want to understand is the difference in coverage for each "letter" and the premium, so you can compare.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:18 PM   #48

I got two plans in your zip from medicare.gov. New to Medicare was the key. Both are low cost UHC products. Try the AARP health insurance site. That might give you better options. Or you could always move...
Old 06-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #49

Quote:
I got two plans in your zip from medicare.gov. New to Medicare was the key. Both are low cost UHC products.

Did you input his zip here? https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan...igap-home.aspx

When I input the 95570 zip and checked "no" to the "Do you have a Medigap poicy?" question it brought up a page listing all the policies available in 95570 (Plans A, B, C, D, F, F-HD, G, K, L, M, and N). Clicking on the right column of each of those Plans (where it states "View companies that offer plan__") will bring up another page with a list of the names, addresses and phone numbers of all insurers offering policies in 95570.

For example, I clicked on Plan G and found "18 companies offer Medigap Policy G in your area". Other plans have as many as 31 separate companies offering them.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:49 PM   #50

I got a different page. Apparently, I'm even more Medicare-challenged than Al!
Old 06-17-2018, 06:51 PM   #51

Quote:
I got a different page. Apparently, I'm even more Medicare-challenged than Al!
I think what you found were the Medicare Advantage plans available in his zip.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:59 PM   #52

Quote:

Thanks, guys.
Yes...all Supplemental Plans with the same letter designation (e.g. A or B or C or....) offer, by law, the exact same coverage...however the pricing can be vastly different. So decide on the coverage you want by comparing plans, then shop for pricing for that plan in your zip code.

Whoever (agent or company) sells you supplemental insurance gets a fixed commission. There's no way around this, nor is it affected by the plan you choose so don't even think about it.

Some agents/companies are good and look out for your best interests to find you highly-rated insurance companies offering plans at reasonable prices, whereas others are simply greedy and will try to sell you the highest-priced plan they can find so they can pocket the largest commission.

And this bears repeating.... ALL supplemental plans with the same alphabetic designation, by law, give you the exact same coverage.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:12 PM   #53

Quote:
I have a couple of months before the window opens, but I'm leaning towards the AARP plans, probably F if they offer it. It looks like their contractor offers it, but I can't see the plans until the window opens.......
You should be able to see the costs for the various letter plans offered by UHC by going to:
https://www.aarpmedicaresupplement.com
Then on the upper right, click on "View Plan Rates"
Then scroll down, and enter your zipcode or state, can go two ways from there. Right to your area, or better yet, download the PDF for your state, where you will find it split up by zipcode blocks. By looking through the PDF for your state, you can see the costs for all the offered letter plans in your zipcode block all on one page. Use the appropriate condition page, for example: "Non-Tobacco Monthly Plan Rates for (state)" as you would be a new entrant into Medicare, and are guaranteed admission.

They were recently updated, the rates up on the website now are for plan effective dates July 2018 - June 2019.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:42 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
You should be able to see the costs for the various letter plans offered by UHC by going to:
Then on the upper right, click on "View Plan Rates"
Then scroll down, and enter your zipcode or state, can go two ways from there. Right to your area, or better yet, download the PDF for your state, where you will find it split up by zipcode blocks. By looking through the PDF for your state, you can see the costs for all the offered letter plans in your zipcode block all on one page. Use the appropriate condition page, for example: "Non-Tobacco Monthly Plan Rates for (state)" as you would be a new entrant into Medicare, and are guaranteed admission.

They were recently updated, the rates up on the website now are for plan effective dates July 2018 - June 2019.
I saw that site. The prices through OneExchange/ViaBenefits may be different or they may not offer the AARP plans at all. I'm going to attend one of their seminars over the summer, so I will ask the hard questions then and hope I get correct answers.

I don't know how these people are compensated. Do they receive a commission on the policy they sell you? Are they paid by the employer to provide information and unbiased advice? I half expect to have to put up sales resistance to whatever they want to sell me.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:13 AM   #55

Quote:
Okay, my zip is 95570 (Trinidad, CA)...
Quote:
...we never use insurance to cut costs (only to eliminate catastrophic expenses)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post

<snip>

For the other carriers, you can go directly to the CA DOI website below but the rates are not as current.

Guide to Medicare Supplement

Then, choose the 'Medicare Supplement Rates' link. On the comparison tool, choose age 65 (not under 65). Most policies will be listed under the Individual option but UHC/AARP plans are Group.

For example, the United American HD-F is $315/yr. CA has a Birthday Rule allowing you to switch to another HD-F each year without underwriting if their rates go up or you don't like the company. In states without this provision, the person should also check the rates for 80 year olds. Some companies offer policies that are competitive at 65 but not as you get older.
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:47 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Al, are you saying you don't see ANY Medigap providers when you put in your 95570 zip because I see dozens when I use your zip in Medicare.gov.
Yes, that's exactly right (but see below):

However, based on your post, I tried it in a private browser window. When I did that, I saw what you saw.

I guess the government screws up in mysterious ways.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:02 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

However, based on your post, I tried it in a private browser window. When I did that, I saw what you saw.

Looks like the Medigap polices for under 65 is highlighted - is that what is selected?
Old 06-18-2018, 10:03 AM   #58

What I have learned from this discussion is that the Medicare.gov site is untrustworthy. Apparently, unless you find the correct search page through some specific sequences, you get different results. It's easy to make a mistake and end up with incorrect results as well. Kinda scary...
Old 06-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #59

Quote:

If you have an ad-blocker or other browser plug-in that modifies content try disabling it; or if you have changed your browser settings for javascript or cookies, try resetting those options to the defaults.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #60

Last week we sat with our Fidelity person . We were told , please don't quote me on this but she did give me the full brochures and went over them from her standpoint .
1 medicare
2 part B
2 part F
She said F covers everything , or the 20% that part b does not . She recommends this and has her mother and father on it . She said the government messed up with F and it will Sunset in a few years , but there will be something comparible.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote