Join Early Retirement Today

Medicare Choices
Old 06-14-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Medicare Choices

Today, my to-do app told me to "Apply for Medicare" (three months until my 65th birthday). (Lena (DW) is 63.)

Is it me, or are there a lot of complicated choices that need to be made?

Given that we have a lot of money "in the bank," and we never use insurance to cut costs (only to eliminate catastrophic expenses), my initial assessment is that I should choose Medicare Parts A & B and add drug coverage (Part D).

There's only one Part C plan with drug coverage in our area, and that is a more expensive option.

Here's an example of the 21 drug plans available in my zip code:

If I were to select that plan, my total monthly premium would be

Plan A: $0
Plan B: $134
Plan D: $22.50
----------------
Total: $156.50

Is that correct?

Concerning the drug copay of $1-$4, is that only relevant after I've paid the $405 deductible? IOW, do I pay full price until I've paid $405, or do I pay $4 per purchase right from the start?

Thanks for the help!

Al
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Concerning the drug copay of $1-$4, is that only relevant after I've paid the $405 deductible? IOW, do I pay full price until I've paid $405, or do I pay $4 per purchase right from the start?

Thanks for the help!

Al
Al,
Yes you pay what the plan negotiated with the pharmacy benefit manager for the cost of the drug. That is not full price - what you would pay if you had no insurance at all. The co-pay doesn't come into play until you have spent $405. The Medicare site can show you what you will pay for a drug because they are the ones who are buying the drugs aka the pharmacy benefit manager.

As for your other question, I need more coffee before I consider the answer.

- Rita
Old 06-14-2018, 11:18 AM   #3
Administrator

Al, have you considered a MediGap plan to cover the 20% not covered by Medicare? You might find an F - Hi Deductible option in your area.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 to MichaelB's suggestion to consider MediGap Plan F-HD
DatumPoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Also, if you were to choose a "Plan C" it would be a Medicare Advantage choice. Once you go into an advantage plan, it is difficult if not impossible to "go back".
DatumPoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Medicare.gov tells me "No Policies were found for your search criteria," so at least that cuts down on the complexity of the decision making.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Medicare.gov tells me "No Policies were found for your search criteria," so at least that cuts down on the complexity of the decision making.
Perhaps call a Medical supplemental insurance guy to confirm this^.

I've had great luck with Chris Westfall https://seniorsavingsnetwork.org

Chris found me a well-priced Plan G. He also saved my friends (who were already on Medicare) some serious money over what they'd been paying for their Medigap policies.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Are you referring to MediGap or Medicare Advantage?
Old 06-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
The co-pay doesn't come into play until you have spent $405.
From the plan documents.

Annual Deductible: $405.00
Deductible Drug Tier Exclusions: $0 Deductible on copay Tier(s) 1, 2;
$405 Deductible on co-insurance Tier(s) 3, 4, 5

Source: https://expressscripts.destinationrx...re/PlanDetails

"The Saver plan offers...a $0 deductible on tier 1 and tier 2 generics. Copays are $1 for tier 1 generic medications and $4 for tier 2 generic medications when filled at one of more than 8,000 CVS pharmacies or more than 2,000 Kroger pharmacies nationwide. The copays for a 90-day supply of tier 1 or tier 2 generic medications are just $2 and $8, respectively, via home delivery by the Express Scripts Pharmacy."

Source: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300528990.html
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatumPoint5 View Post
Also, if you were to choose a "Plan C" it would be a Medicare Advantage choice. Once you go into an advantage plan, it is difficult if not impossible to "go back".
CA allows switching during your birthday month, for whatever reason with no underwriting. DH recently changed insurers due to cost.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:09 PM   #11

I'm fairly familiar with health insurance in my real life j*b, and I was totally and utterly confused when DH turned 65. I found a Farmer's agent who also specializes in health care insurance, both ACA and Medicare. No charge - he gets a cut from the companies he places us with.

We ended up with A & B (obviously) and Plan F and a Silver Scripts Part D. DH needs some things done so we went with the Cadillac Plan F, and at the end of the year we'll go do the High Deductible Plan F, @ $65 a month. Right now it's $200.

In retrospect, I feel like I made things way too complicated, but he's covered now, and that's all that matters.

Congrats on becoming eligible for Medicare!
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
Quote:
Also, if you were to choose a "Part C" it would be a Medicare Advantage choice. Once you go into an advantage plan, it is difficult if not impossible to "go back".
CA allows switching during your birthday month, for whatever reason with no underwriting. DH recently changed insurers due to cost.
The CA Birthday Rule allows a person with a Medicare Supplement to switch to another supplement of equal or lessor benefits. The rule does not apply when switching from Advantage to Supplement.
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Al,You need either a supplement or a medicare Advantage plan which includes part D . You may have no medical problems now but crap happens . I had the flu last year which ended up being a $61,500 medical bill( a hospital stay and three months of rehab ) . Luckily I had a supplement that paid for most of it .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Al,You need either a supplement or a medicare Advantage plan which includes part D . You may have no medical problems now but crap happens . I had the flu last year which ended up being a $61,500 medical bill( a hospital stay and three months of rehab ) . Luckily I had a supplement that paid for most of it .
+10
and 60K is nothing.......if you have a serious illness that requires continuing care, you could easily see 100-200K or more.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:00 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was under the impression that during open enrollment one can switch to any of the Midicare gap plans or advantage plans one chooses. Well, at least until 2020 when Plan F won't be available to new people.

Or, am I mistaken?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:03 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I was under the impression that during open enrollment one can switch to any of the Midicare gap plans or advantage plans one chooses. Well, at least until 2020 when Plan F won't be available to new people.

Or, am I mistaken?
Guaranteed issue for Medicare supplemental plans only exists when one is first eligible for Medicare. After that, only if one's plan leaves the market. So, choose carefully.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSC View Post
The CA Birthday Rule allows a person with a Medicare Supplement to switch to another supplement of equal or lessor benefits. The rule does not apply when switching from Advantage to Supplement.
Was not aware of that...received erroneous info. Thanks for posting the correction.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:32 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Are you not planning on getting a supplement? To not get a supplement would seem to be a serious error. You need the supplement in case of catastrophic expenses. If you are getting traditional Medicare you will have a coPayment which has no maximum.

You need to look carefully at supplements and decide which one you want. This is something you need to get now as you may not be able to medically qualify for it in future if you need it.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Are you referring to MediGap or Medicare Advantage?
Medigap.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Are you not planning on getting a supplement? To not get a supplement would seem to be a serious error. You need the supplement in case of catastrophic expenses. If you are getting traditional Medicare you will have a coPayment which has no maximum.

You need to look carefully at supplements and decide which one you want. This is something you need to get now as you may not be able to medically qualify for it in future if you need it.
So, Supplement = Medigap?

Medicare.gov just told me that there aren't any Medigap plans available in my zip code. That must be wrong.

I'm still just learning about this stuff (started this morning), and I have Medicare for Dummies on hold at the library.

Any great resources on the web?

It's a mess. A lot of the problem comes from nomenclature.

For example, "Part A" should be called "Hospitalization." The letter system is arbitrary, and implies a progression that isn't true.