Join Early Retirement Today
Medicare Forums Worthwhile?
Old 11-23-2015, 09:32 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Medicare Forums Worthwhile?

I will still be on ACA until next August when I go on Medicare. Now is the time of year - Medicare open enrollment - when it seems we are inundated with notices of meetings to find out more about Medicare. Is it useful to someone like me who is probably more interested in traditional Medicare than Medicare Advantage to attend? Do these meetings cover all facets of Medicare or do they usually push Medicare Advantage plans?

Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I have never seen a meeting advertised that included Classic Medicare. hard to imagine what the selling points might be, other than price.

haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:41 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
Do these meetings cover all facets of Medicare or do they usually push Medicare Advantage plans?
If you aren't interested in Medicare Advantage plans, don't bother attending. They may touch on the basics of traditional Medicare and Medicare supplements, but only so they can contrast how much better their Advantage plans are.

Insurance companies (and agents) make zero on traditional Medicare and comparatively little on supplement plans. Advantage plans are where the money is so convincing you to sign up will be the focus of the dog and pony show.
Numbers is hard.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:30 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
Some are classified as educational seminars where CMS regulates what can be said. You can search "Medicare Seminar" on Youtube to view one of those from a year ago. Other tips:

1. Request Medigap quotes for age 80 in addition to age 65. You want a plan which stays competitive and isn't an introductory rate.

2. When Part B pays 80%, it's only the remaining 20% coinsurance that's applied to the F-HD deductible. Some people think they have to pay the $2180 F-HD deductible first before Medicare starts paying.
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:39 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If you do not go to one of these, what else will you be doing during that time period?

Education never hurts anyone. I do know that there are sign up periods and penalties of you miss certain parts of Medicare. And enrollment periods.

Worse case you go and come out able to understand something else.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:38 AM   #6

try your local public library.........
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:10 AM   #7
Like so many other things concerning retirement, I think reading things right here in this forum is likely one of the better places to do research.

Living well is the best revenge!
Retired @ 52 in 2005
marko is offline   Reply With Quote