Medicare Forums Worthwhile?

Ian S

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I will still be on ACA until next August when I go on Medicare. Now is the time of year - Medicare open enrollment - when it seems we are inundated with notices of meetings to find out more about Medicare. Is it useful to someone like me who is probably more interested in traditional Medicare than Medicare Advantage to attend? Do these meetings cover all facets of Medicare or do they usually push Medicare Advantage plans?

I have never seen a meeting advertised that included Classic Medicare. hard to imagine what the selling points might be, other than price.

Ha

Do these meetings cover all facets of Medicare or do they usually push Medicare Advantage plans?

If you aren't interested in Medicare Advantage plans, don't bother attending. They may touch on the basics of traditional Medicare and Medicare supplements, but only so they can contrast how much better their Advantage plans are.

Insurance companies (and agents) make zero on traditional Medicare and comparatively little on supplement plans. Advantage plans are where the money is so convincing you to sign up will be the focus of the dog and pony show.

Some are classified as educational seminars where CMS regulates what can be said. You can search "Medicare Seminar" on Youtube to view one of those from a year ago. Other tips:

1. Request Medigap quotes for age 80 in addition to age 65. You want a plan which stays competitive and isn't an introductory rate.

2. When Part B pays 80%, it's only the remaining 20% coinsurance that's applied to the F-HD deductible. Some people think they have to pay the $2180 F-HD deductible first before Medicare starts paying.

If you do not go to one of these, what else will you be doing during that time period?

Education never hurts anyone. I do know that there are sign up periods and penalties of you miss certain parts of Medicare. And enrollment periods.

Worse case you go and come out able to understand something else.

Like so many other things concerning retirement, I think reading things right here in this forum is likely one of the better places to do research.

Back
Top Bottom