Join Early Retirement Today

Medicare - No Supplements?
Old 09-11-2017, 01:45 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Medicare - No Supplements?

DH turns 65 next year, so I'm wading into the Medicare alphabet soup. I searched Medicare on this board and learned lots, but I also stumbled on this article, written by a doctor, questioning whether or not supplements are worth it.

Anyone 'self-insure" with their Medicare?

P.S. I apologize for using any inaccurate Medicare terminology - this is giving me a headache.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2017, 02:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
DH turns 65 next year, so I'm wading into the Medicare alphabet soup. I searched Medicare on this board and learned lots, but I also stumbled on this article, written by a doctor, questioning whether or not supplements are worth it.

Anyone 'self-insure" with their Medicare?

P.S. I apologize for using any inaccurate Medicare terminology - this is giving me a headache.
Note that there exist high deductible medigap policies which cost a lot less with a 2800 or so deductible plus the part B deductible. That self insures for the little stuff, but protect from the big bills.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #3

Think very carefully before you forego the Supplement. If 2K in premiums is going to bother you, think how much more you will be bothered if DH gets afflicted w/ some disease where each round of treatment costs that much and there might be 6-8 rounds in a cycle and perhaps several cycles a year. Plus associated doctor and lab costs.......total of 30-40K/yr. (That's your 20% share). Hopefully odds are not that great that DH gets that affliction but that's what insurance is for........in case you're the unlucky one. A side benefit is that you don't care about the insurance bills........generally medicare or the supplement will be paying so you don't care much about whether the bill is right or not so a lot of the worry and scrutiny will vanish.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #4
Administrator

The nice things about MediGap insurance is the policies are regulated and the coverage itself is clearly spelled out, making it easy to compare policy options. Here's a PDF https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/02...igap.guide.pdf

That linked article didn't cover things like skilled nursing facilities and rehab centers. That's a major component of the more comprehensive MediGap policies. One reason why average hospital stays are shorter is patients are moved from hospitals to rehab facilities. Cost sharing from one extended stay there is enough to pay multiple years premiums.

In addition to the high deductible F plan already mentioned, keep in mind that MediGap policies are guaranteed issue only once, when you are first eligible. After that, insurers are free to underwrite and deny new policies.

In response to the question asked in the OP, I don't know anyone who self insurers. I have a few extended family that have no supplemental coverage, but that is "can't afford", not self insure.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:31 PM   #5

One surgery could be 40k (That's what my appendectomy cost.. approved cost). Then you're out 20% of that.
bmcgonig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Note that there exist high deductible medigap policies which cost a lot less with a 2800 or so deductible plus the part B deductible. That self insures for the little stuff, but protect from the big bills.
That's the one that's going away (Plan F?) in 2020, but if you get in before that, it's supposed remain available?
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
That's the one that's going away (Plan F?) in 2020, but if you get in before that, it's supposed remain available?
Regular plan F, with no deductible, is going away, replaced with Hi-Deductible F,
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:51 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I can't wait to see what DW's recent heart surgery cost (the billed amounts) and she has Plan F. If it's not $100 K I'll be surprised. My BIL's heart transplant two years ago had to be $1 MM ++.

Going naked with Medicare is not a good idea.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
One surgery could be 40k (That's what my appendectomy cost.. approved cost). Then you're out 20% of that.
Easily, a few years ago, I had 1 surgery and the cost was $125,000 in total, including the 3 days in hospital. It was a planned operation, not an emergency type thing.

I was soooo glad we had insurance.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The linked article talks about averages but I insure against the extremes. F High Deductible plan here.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:06 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I would never go without a supplement. Since traditional Medicare doesn't have any out of pocket max, 20% copay can add up fast. That is not a risk I want to take. The only way I wouldn't have a supplement would be if I did Medicare Advantage and had an out of pocket max (but I prefer traditional Medicare).
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Quote:
Regular plan F, with no deductible, is going away, replaced with Hi-Deductible F,
Plans F and HD-F do not 'go away' in 2020. Persons with a Medicare effective date of 1/1/2020 or later will not be able to choose them but will be able to use G and HD-G as substitutes.

More info: www.naic.org/documents/committees_b_senior_issues_170201_medigap_faq.pdf
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:17 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

In response to the question asked in the OP, I don't know anyone who self insurers. I have a few extended family that have no supplemental coverage, but that is "can't afford", not self insure.
You do now!
I just started Medicare in June and don't have a supplement. My initial thought was that I'm in pretty good health (so far) and can handle any typical non-covered issues.
But, now this thread has me wondering......not having rehab coverage might be a good thing to have at some point.
Am I correct in thinking that I can get supplemental coverage in a few years if I saw something coming. (yes, I know you don't see things coming sometimes)
Old 09-12-2017, 05:36 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Am I correct in thinking that I can get supplemental coverage in a few years if I saw something coming. (yes, I know you don't see things coming sometimes)
There are consequences for delaying.

After the initial 6 month window of enrolling in Medicare you may not find an insurer willing to sell you supplemental coverage.

If you do find an insurer willing to sell you Medigap coverage, pre-existing conditions will apply and your "something coming" may not be covered until a 6 month or longer waiting period.

Your premiums will be higher than if purchased during the initial enrollment period.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:46 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
There are consequences for delaying.

After the initial 6 month window of enrolling in Medicare you may not find an insurer willing to sell you supplemental coverage.

If you do find an insurer willing to sell you Medigap coverage, pre-existing conditions will apply and your "something coming" may not be covered until a 6 month or longer waiting period.

Your premiums will be higher than if purchased during the initial enrollment period.
Ah! Thank you. I'm on it.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:26 AM   #16

God help me. I'm 63 now and trying to learn the Medicare scene. I've read and read so much but still can't remember how everything connects. I guess my computer programming skills are fading! Is there a website that lays it all out in pictorial form, with a few words added here and there? Maybe Venn diagrams? Or some sort of flow chart? Thanks.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:25 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
God help me. I'm 63 now and trying to learn the Medicare scene. I've read and read so much but still can't remember how everything connects. I guess my computer programming skills are fading! Is there a website that lays it all out in pictorial form, with a few words added here and there? Maybe Venn diagrams? Or some sort of flow chart? Thanks.
I hear you, I'm a year out and having analysis paralysis....my DH turned 65 6 months after a mitral valve repair/afib/ and defibrillator implant. I was so shell shocked by everything I just went to my insurance agent and listened while she enrolled him in Senior Gold..I'm still not sure how that penciled out...he has ongoing maintence with cardio, had a hernia fixed..at some point will need a new defibrillator so I'm just sticking with the Senior Gold, but I don't have a clue what to do for myself.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...r+dummies+2017

might be at your local library
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

A word to the wise, seeing many of us members have Medicare in their sights:

Get the best supplement offered since you will get sick later. My DW literally fell apart (medically) at 71 and what we went through over the last year would cost many thousands if she didn't have Plan F (full).

I'll list a few things she has been dealing with since 11/16:

COPD (now on O2 full time)
Severe osteoporosis (over $1 k per month OPP for bone drugs alone)
5 compression fractures of vertebrae requiring Kayroplasty surgeries
Mitral heart valve replacement

I haven't calculated what her 11 or 12 ongoing prescriptions cost us but I do know we hit the Donut Hole in May or so.

And I went from Full F to G last year as I am very healthy and wanted to reduce the rate of increase of the supplemental plan. To do that, I had to qualify for the change and that included having a physical, blood checked, answering a many page questionnaire of medical history, being phone interviewed for an hour by a medical rep from the insurance company, etc.

What a royal PIA all that was and if I had it to do over, I would have just left well enough alone.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

aja8888 is right - eventually nearly everyone gets something.

But my thought is self-insurance has the problem that you (the insurer) are in a lousy negotiating position. Insurance companies negotiate lower rates for everything and the self-pay person pays the highest amount for everything. Even a no cost Medicare Advantage plan gives you the advantage of lower negotiated rates. (If they still have no cost plans like that - we get the extra insurance over medicare as my retiree medical plan).
Crewer is offline   Reply With Quote