Medicare Options - Help!

CaliforniaVA

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi Folks!

I have some questions about enrolling for Medicare and the other offers for the suppliment packages. I'm still working, but will be retiring on March 31, 2012! YEA!! Since I'm still working (but I'm 67 years old), I have not signed up for Medicare yet, but will do so in January. My question, is there any difference in the packages that are offered by Humana, AARP, Aetna, etc? I also will be moving from Virginia to Florida when I retire. There are so many packages around to choose from!

Thanks for any advice :flowers:

If you sign up for medicare and a supplement, plan F seems to be the best bet. You have to understand that all the plans have to be the same between insurance companies. So, plan F is the same whether you get it from Humana, United, BCBS, Aetna, etc. So shop for price on the supplemental policy. I hear Mutual of Omaha is good. You just have to shop every year. Me? I'm on an Advantage plan.

Many Medicare plans have been discussed on this forum. Suggest you search the forum for any post regarding Medicare. You'll find a bunch. Good Luck!

I recently signed up for medicare advantage plan through my former employer. I studied a few other options, but quickly settled on the advantage plan even though it seemed a little more expensive. The feedback from the people I spoke to indicated the overall benefits were better. Since I only had one shot at the plan I took, or I'd lose that option, I took it. I'd guess it would be hard to say what plan is best for you unless you knew what ailment to expect before it happened. (I hate these medical insurance issues. They seem to be designed to confound and obfuscate the issues for the benefit of the other parties. Oh, that's right, they're trying to make of profit. Rant over.) Good luck on your choice. Maybe a monkey and a dart board...naa...Tight

I recently signed up for medicare advantage plan through my former employer. I studied a few other options, but quickly settled on the advantage plan even though it seemed a little more expensive. The feedback from the people I spoke to indicated the overall benefits were better. Since I only had one shot at the plan I took, or I'd lose that option, I took it. I'd guess it would be hard to say what plan is best for you unless you knew what ailment to expect before it happened. (I hate these medical insurance issues. They seem to be designed to confound and obfuscate the issues for the benefit of the other parties. Oh, that's right, they're trying to make of profit. Rant over.) Good luck on your choice. Maybe a monkey and a dart board...naa...Tight

This is why it takes a while to determine which is best for you. tightasdrum , I'm surprised at you saying the advantage plan is a "little more expensive". My advantage plan has a zero premium (other than the Medicare primium). I guess it depends on where you are located.

tightasadrum said:
(I hate these medical insurance issues. They seem to be designed to confound and obfuscate the issues for the benefit of the other parties.

I agree. The key is to use it to your advantage. You're retired and have time to analyze this stuff, and have the forum for advice. Thus your insurance will be subsidized by those who are less fortunate.

If you view it this way, it's less annoying.

TromboneAl said:
I agree. The key is to use it to your advantage. You're retired and have time to analyze this stuff, and have the forum for advice. Thus your insurance will be subsidized by those who are less fortunate.

I see. Sort of a method for keeping my brain from withering away. But it sure feels like w*rk!

Very good! I think I will steal this idea for my own.

Back
Top Bottom