Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-05-2015, 03:13 PM   #41
Originally Posted by ZMAN View Post
AJA Said: "Insurance company (with full Plan F in my case) stopped processing claims until I resolved it."

This is the type of real world experience that I am interested in for my Plan F choice. Was that a private carrier? If so which one if you do not mind saying.

So far it seems to me that people have no complaints over United Health Care.

NY is community rated and guaranteed issue, which is why it is so expensive. So I would not expect an individual increase as I age.

As I read some more literature in NY, if you switch Medigap carriers after the first year, the worst they can do to you is a 6 month waiting period for prior existing conditions. So I guess I will have to sit in a sterile room for 6 months if I do not like my initial choice.

My thinking was not to go with the high deductible Plan F since insurance premiums are an above the line deduction from income on my tax return [Line 29: I still practice law from time to time], whereas medical expenses are subject to the 2% floor on Schedule A, line 4.
From what I recall, not all Medicare deductibles are considerd an annual cost and can occur more than once. I recall that the hospital deductible cost of ~$1,100 is per admission over a short period (say 90 days). I don't have my Medicare plan near me so I am recalling this from memory.

ZMAN, please check your PM's.

......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2015, 03:34 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets
I found similar inquiries as my initial post in bogleheads:

AARP Medicare Supplement Ins (United Healthcare - Bogleheads

Another Medigap Q: United versus BCBS - Bogleheads

It really seems that UHC is winning the race. With the astounding amount that they pay their CEO, I wonder how they provide low cost (they are the second lowest in my zip code) and apparently good customer service per the various posters on bogleheads.

ZMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:57 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets
No problem with DH's AARP UHC Part F plan for the past 4 years. And when I was in private practice they paid very quickly after Medicare processed the claim.

Don't get an Advantage plan. There is no advantage - they only want well people and have quite limited networks. It isn't worth it. They want to make money. That's why several insurers have stopped offering them. You can't make that much money off older sicker people in the long run.

And a good Part F plan will cover emergency care for a 60 day period if you are vacationing abroad for a small fee (I think $9 for AARP Part F).

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

iac1003 is offline   Reply With Quote