Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
My Mother was in a nursing home for years. They forbid a resident consuming meds obtained from anyone but their institutional pharmacy, even over the counter ones. When she was dying she needed pain med on a Sunday which could be obtained at the pharmacy a few blocks away (which we could give her) but we were required to wait for the institutional pharmacy to deliver 6 hours later. They said it was state law.
"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to receive permission" - Amazing Grace Hopper

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by free4now View Post
I favor some sort of universal HSA type catastrophic health insurance for everyone in the US, where the first few thousand per year comes from the insured. That will keep this waste from getting out of control; people will just bring a bottle of tylenol from home and mail order their wheelchairs.
I've had a HDHP with HSA for a couple of years now and I've accumulated about $5000 that would have been paid out in just premiums so I'm pleased I've accumulated some money.
More notably I've also noticed how it's changed my behavior when I'm buying healthcare. On many occasions when I would have sought service under my old HMO I''ve delayed service started feeling better and never needed an office visit. I've also had issues that were concerning to me but may not have been approved for payment by my HMO as medically necessary. When I saw my provider hesitating to order tests I said hey this is a concern I've got and nobody will fight this because I'm the guy paying, and they've written the order. I don't believe I would have received those tests if it was up to the insurance Co... Thankfully those tests came back in my favor and one could argue they should have never been done, at the same time concerns I've had for 5+ years were put to rest so I was happy to pay for that.
I read every bill, I work to push tests that were every three months to four months so they recur 3 times per year not 4. I am an active participant in my healthcare and I would buy the darn wheelchair mentioned in previous posts.
We do have a mess with our current system I sure hope the fix unlinks employment and keeps the individual involved in their care.

I highjacked a rainbow and crashed into a pot of gold - Bon Jovi
Darryl is offline   Reply With Quote