Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-07-2016, 12:56 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by molly312 View Post
My personal experience: Both my husband and I have Plan F. My husband is in perfect health and to date, would have saved some money on High deductible plan F, or one of the others. I, have breast cancer and for us Plan F has been a God sent blessing. My bills have been large and many. No, we did not plan on this. Along with the physical and mental stress of this disease, we have been relieved of weekly billing fights and tons of paperwork. Yup, you can figure out what is the best for less this year. However, few people figure that they are going to get a future serious medical condition when doing the math. We endorse Plan F - had wonderful support from both Anthem (first policy) and then AARP.

I will also add - that for us, the biggest challenge is the Part D, drug plan. When you sign up for one, they give you a formulary. However, there is no guarantee that they won't change their formulary mid-year and leave you with huge increase in drug costs.
The problem is that Plan F is going away for new enrollees in 2020. Consequently, there may be substantial increases in premiums for those who are grandfathered into those plans. The other point I'd make is that there are many cases where you can save money with Plan G over Plan F no matter how much your medical coats are! There are many policies where Plan G is cheaper for the year than F even if you have to pay the Part B deductible under Plan G.

As for the drug plans, I agree you have to watch the formulary and if it changes to your detriment then you should change as soon as permitted.

Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
In my state of Washington, you can always move laterally from one company' s Medigap policy to another of the same or lower level.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

haha is offline   Reply With Quote