Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Sounds like you have something more serious than me. Mine caused me to constantly clear my throat which drove people around me nuts. The docs thought it was post nasal drip but I read that the symptoms can be driven by "silent" GERD. Cider vinegar containing some yeast called 'the mother", 1T every day, and it disappeared. Inhalers didn't help at all.
I have a deviated septum that caused a polyp to develop, blocking the entire right side of my sinuses. It got infected causing the post nasal drip. Antibiotics took care of the infection and the surgery will open the sinus so it doesn't happen again and I'll be able to breathe!
But I hear the next two weeks will be very uncomfortable while it heals...
Glad your situation got resolved.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
These advances are fantastic and I certainly look forward to a swallow-able micro cam instead of a colonoscopy. But I don't see much advance on the day to day chronic issues or even nutrition. We can send a robot in to operate but we can't get a solid scientifc consensus on statins or dietary carbohydrates? WTF does that tell you? On just two minor matters I ran into big fat nothing-burgers from modern medicine - long term post nasal drip/throat clearing and BPH like symptoms without actual BPH. All the doctors could do is prescribe drugs that had no beneficial impact. I ended up curing the decades long post nasal drip problem with a old wife's tail from the Internet. After a bit of research I dumped a decade's worth of BPH meds and saw no appreciable difference (except that the med's side effect or increased sporadic dizziness was somewhat alleviated). I guess my bottom line reaction is that, if I end up needing some advanced procedure, or rely on regular blood monitoring like OP's wife, some of these advances may benefit me big time. As for day to day stuff for maintaining optimal health I expect I will have to keep stumbling along with Dr Google for the duration.
+1 on all of the above...
and on Google... an hour of research, and we know more than our doctor about any given subject. Just can't write prescriptions or make referrals...

Old 02-18-2014, 09:59 PM   #23
Confused about dryer sheets

I know the way to untold riches, just don't know how to do it - IF somebody can invent a palatable drink instead of that nasty stuff for colonoscopies - the old boy will become filthy rich. I've eaten a lot of stuff in me long life, but that is the hardest mess to swallow I've ever tried.

I tell ye, I wouldn't want to be within about 400 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when that thing goes off! - World War I Vet
GuyGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:04 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyGene View Post
I know the way to untold riches, just don't know how to do it - IF somebody can invent a palatable drink instead of that nasty stuff for colonoscopies - the old boy will become filthy rich. I've eaten a lot of stuff in me long life, but that is the hardest mess to swallow I've ever tried.
+10
Old 02-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got a taste of the new tech today at the dentist's office. I went in to get a broken crown replaced and anticipated two visits. One to clear out the old mess and make a mold and a second a couple of weeks later to install the new crown. But my advanced technology dentist (also my niece) designed the crown with imagery gear and software that essentially creates a composite 3D image by stitching hundreds of small images together like photomerge. Then she uploads the design to a porcelain fabricator that sounds a lot like a 3D printer. Ten minutes later out pops the crown ready to be quick baked like a ceramic pot. The finished crown was installed in the same visit. Very cool.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #26

Yes on dentistry... Incredible progress.
On another part of this high tech, DW went in for root canal, and some associated problems. The dentist used a remote double-eyed microscope, and an very high speed drill (or whatever the instrument was) to go in and complete what used to be an hour of agony in about 3 or four minutes.
Don't know details, but the dentist keeps a "patient book" with letters, cards and comments about his work. I looked through the book and saw literally hundreds of notes... words of praise and thanks.
I looked for info on this, "microscopic dentistry" and found several sites, of which here is one:
Microscopic Dentistry - Best Cosmetic Dentist Susan Hollar, DDS | Arlington - DFW Texas
Not our dentist, but general info on the process.

One of the things that impressed me most, was that when DW had the procedure, there were 8 patients who came and went in the hour. (anaesthesia)... all came out and made comment on their visit. I do believe the dentist was considered a saint.