Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

MediGap life insurance companies
Old 05-09-2018, 02:03 PM   #1
Administrator

MediGap life insurance companies

Looking at Medigap policies, specifically F Hi-Deductible, there are 9 policies available where I live, and 7 of these are offered by life insurance companies. Only 2 health insurers and both are more expensive - 6 of the 7 insurers have lower premiums.

What is the downside to getting a MediGap policy from a life insurance company? After all, there's little to no synergy with the rest of their business, and it makes no sense for them to invest in a robust back office claims management system just for this business. Does this policy become problematic down the road if one has a fair number of claims or makes a large claim? Are they more likely to deny, delay or otherwise try to avoid paying a claim - vs a traditional insurer?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2018, 03:35 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The only difference between F-HD providers is premium cost and customer service. All F-HD plans are required to cover the same things with the same coverage. If Medicare approves the claim, the Medigap company cannot deny it. Look at future premium costs too. One company may charge less now but more later i.e. Age related pricing vs community pricing. (or something like that) And who knows what costs are going to be when 2020 arrives and F-HD is closed to new members.

But don't underestimate the service part.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:04 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FWIW I was recently looking at my mom's medigap policy and I noticed it was with a life insurance company and that surprised me. But, when I looked at it in more detail I found that this particular life insurance company is a Cigna company and Cigna is, of course, well known in health insurance.

Regardless I agree that all supplements of the same plan have to provide the same coverage (my mom's plan, FWIW, is plan G).
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:29 AM   #4
Administrator

Thanks. I know all policies are the same and have read that in Florida all policies are community rated, although I need to confirm this last item. Some of the price differences are pretty big.

I guess my main concern is if there is a difference in how claims are handled between health insurance companies and life insurers. For sure, once Medicare approves a claim it must be paid, but we all know that’s no guarantee it will be paid, at least without lots of hassle. There is absolutely no info available that rates their service levels or compares their overall claims handling satisfaction.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Thanks. I know all policies are the same and have read that in Florida all policies are community rated, although I need to confirm this last item. Some of the price differences are pretty big.

I guess my main concern is if there is a difference in how claims are handled between health insurance companies and life insurers. For sure, once Medicare approves a claim it must be paid, but we all know that’s no guarantee it will be paid, at least without lots of hassle. There is absolutely no info available that rates their service levels or compares their overall claims handling satisfaction.
And that's where the customer service come into play I can't say anything bad about BCBS of IL. I have read of service issues with Gerber and Mutual of Omaha. You may want to check that out if you are considering going in that direction. Beyond that I have no suggestions.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:54 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
And that's where the customer service come into play I can't say anything bad about BCBS of IL. I have read of service issues with Gerber and Mutual of Omaha. You may want to check that out if you are considering going in that direction. Beyond that I have no suggestions.
Totally agree. There seems to be a lot of anecdotal feedback around the web on these insurers, but I haven't found anything that would provide a more objective and reliable comparison. The risk, or course, is the guarantee issue rules mean we only get one choice, so one needs to choose wisely.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:14 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Michael: What type of pricing spread are you finding?
Old 05-10-2018, 10:53 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I haven't seen any problem with my mom's claims being paid. Again, while the insurer is shown as a life insurance company it is actually a Cigna company. So you may want to check and see who owns the insurers you are considering.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:57 PM   #9

fwiw: https://www.bluewaveinsurance.com/carrier-reviews/

you might be able to find others to compare
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Michael: What type of pricing spread are you finding?
This page will let you see all the plans and rates available by county / zip code in Florida. https://apps.fldfs.com/mcws/cwssearch.aspx
Old 05-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This page will let you see all the plans and rates available by county / zip code in Florida. https://apps.fldfs.com/mcws/cwssearch.aspx
All the plans in my county (St Johns) say they are underwritten. I thought if one applied in the correct timeframe after applying for Medicare, they had to guaranteed issue.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
All the plans in my county (St Johns) say they are underwritten. I thought if one applied in the correct timeframe after applying for Medicare, they had to guaranteed issue.
All MediGap plans are guaranteed issue when you first become eligible for Medicare.

On the screen that follows the map, when it asks for search criteria, what age do you input?
Old 05-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
All MediGap plans are guaranteed issue when you first become eligible for Medicare.

On the screen that follows the map, when it asks for search criteria, what age do you input?
Old 05-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #14
Administrator

I pulled up that county, inputted a random zip code and got 5 pages of MediGap plan detail. There's no indication that any are underwritten and guarenteed issue is required by Medicare. Where do you see the underwriting requirement?
Old 05-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I pulled up that county, inputted a random zip code and got 5 pages of MediGap plan detail. There's no indication that any are underwritten and guarenteed issue is required by Medicare. Where do you see the underwriting requirement?
If you select any of the results (Click on the price) it is at the bottom of the first spreadsheet shown.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:01 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
If you select any of the results (Click on the price) it is at the bottom of the first spreadsheet shown.
All MediGap plans that are available in your area are guaranteed issue when you first becomes eligible, and the eligibility period lasts 6 months. After that, insurers have the right to underwrite plans. So yes, the plans are all underwritten, but you still have guaranteed issue.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:03 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
All MediGap plans that are available in your area are guaranteed issue when you first becomes eligible, and the eligibility period lasts 6 months. After that, insurers have the right to underwrite plans. So yes, the plans are all underwritten, but you still have guaranteed issue.
Got it.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That does not show the correct Open Enrollment information. Even the state's Medicare Supplement Insurance brochure (click the "Consumer Guide" tab at the top of the page) states:
Quote:
The best time to buy a Medigap policy is during your
Medigap Open Enrollment Period, when you have the
right to buy any Medigap policy offered in your state.
This 6-month period begins on the first day of the
month in which you’re 65 or older and enrolled in
Part B
Old 05-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

My Medigap plan is with Aetna who sells all kinds of insurance. Apparently, they have a sub carrier that handles the Medigap claims. I never have had any issues with claims.