Join Early Retirement Today

Melamine And China
Old 10-30-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Melamine And China

Wild just wild. I guess we better not eat anything from Mainland China.
Yankees Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Did you forget to include a link in your post, or are you just ruminating?
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:59 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It has been in the news recently. I just searched "melamine China products" in Google News and got several hits that are less than one day old.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

"On monday China announced 52,857 children were taken to hospital after drinking milk thought to have been contaminated by the industrial chemical melamine."

Pure melamine is non-toxic in low doses; its toxicity is half of table salt's. The problemn is chronic exposure as it combines with cyanuric acid to become insoluble forming kidney stones.
Melamine Cyanurate's one of the safer flame retardants in plastic though not very effective. I prefer using bromine based flame retardants but those are quickly being banned altogether. The reason Melamine has started showing up in food and feed is that the high nitrogen content of it will fool lab tests that use nitrogen as an indicator of protein content. This means they can cut their animal feed and powdered milk with cheap fillers and mask that they did it with melamine.

Of course a lot of this is the purchaser's own fault, as rather than requiring that there be a certain protein content they will require that it be above X.XX on a test for nitrogen, leaving the door wide open to just add what needs to be added to pass the test.
Frugality_of_Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
It appears as though China is using melamine like many Chinese eateries use MSG.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees Rule View Post
Wild just wild. I guess we better not eat anything from Mainland China.
Hey newguy, back in the Headline News bidness, I see...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

The bigger problem with China may be that the years of Communism have created a culture in which any act that produces profits is ok. Hence you see lead based paint on toys, melamine in animal feed and milk, bad dog food exports. It is the same culture that thinks it is ok to buy pirated software and movies. Personally, I won't buy any food item from China....
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
Personally, I won't buy any food item from China....
The problem with this logic is you can't verify the supply chain. Ingredients aren't listed by country of origin. Raw materials, additives, preservatives, packaging- how do you know where these were made?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:24 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
The problem with this logic is you can't verify the supply chain. Ingredients aren't listed by country of origin. Raw materials, Additives, preservatives, packaging- how do you know where these were made?

For example, I just learned that 80% of the world's gum arabic is produced by Sudan, not a government that I want to support.

The solution, I think, is to spend less money at Wal-Mart or Safeway and more at your local farmer's market. Eating whole foods produced in your community (or close to it) without additives and preservatives automatically takes a lot of questionable stuff out of the loop.

Say you don't have a farmer's market in the winter or at all? Buy produce and products made in the USA, and go (again) for stuff without additives or preservatives.

Finally, write your elected representatives and demand that food and ingredients be labeled with country of origin.