Join Early Retirement Today

Memory issues -- how serious?
Old 01-13-2016, 04:38 PM   #1

Memory issues -- how serious?

I was looking at a publication sent out by Fidelity recently and found this table quite interesting.

I suppose I'm one of the old codgers here (but I was an early retiree, honest!), so this might not be interesting to many, but I thought it was very well done. It came from the Alzheimer's Association, and attempts to show the difference between memory issues caused by normal aging and those we should be actually concerned about.

Whether you're encountering any of this yourself, or just have friends or family who might be running into these issues, it's probably good to at least know that there are definite differences.
Attached Images
File Type: png memory.png (109.0 KB, 326 views)
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2016, 04:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, Oh... looks like i'm in trouble!
Old 01-13-2016, 05:25 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a friend that had early onset and it is very different from just aging. I think a lot of us worry about getting it. After seeing what she has went through it is horrible.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Wow!! The left hand column sounds like... well, welcome to MY world.

The right hand column is downright scary, though. Nothing like that with either of us, and I'd feel really concerned if there was.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:46 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have difficulty recognizing myself in the mirror every morning, especially when I must rise early to go to w*rk.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

In the early stages people are constantly losing their keys, glasses, purse etc all the time. Also moving things to an inappropriate place.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:08 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for this; DH is 77 and I see quite a few behaviors in the left column but none in the right. Definitely a difference.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:45 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
I have difficulty recognizing myself in the mirror every morning, especially when I must rise early to go to w*rk.
I recognize myself but I wonder how did I get this old .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:26 PM   #9

I loose my glasses but so far have always remembered where I left them. Twice left them in store shopping over Christmas. The same darn store on different days! Recently in my dates car. Haven't gotten them back yet but they are there!

Sometimes I think we all have just too many darn little things to keep track of!
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:39 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

So, if some of the changes are "cause for concern," what's the next step?

I remember Imoldernu saying he'd take one of those doctor-administered memory tests over his dead body. I imagine that is most oldsters' reaction.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:49 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

I remember Imoldernu saying he'd take one of those doctor-administered memory tests over his dead body. I imagine that is most oldsters' reaction.

Amethyst

Yes, my MIL refused for the longest time to get any kind of memory tests, or saying she did and was just fine, lying to her daughters. Finally it took her getting lost and confused with a nice woman calling the police to get her home. My SIL took her car away and finally convinced her to get treatment and move into an independent living place where they keep an eye on her. She fought us about the move, but without her car she had no choice. She's doing well in the home, but is slowly fading. Her short term memory is gone, but remembers the good old days.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:52 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Amethyst
Good question. In addition to seeing a neurologist to test and confirm, it's time to make sure you have a plan for how your affairs will be managed, including your own care, and who will do this.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:00 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Good question. In addition to seeing a neurologist to test and confirm, it's time to make sure you have a plan for how your affairs will be managed, including your own care, and who will do this.

Denial is the problem and HIPAA laws block the family from taking action if health care POAs aren't in place.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:22 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Denial is the problem and HIPAA laws block the family from taking action if health care POAs aren't in place.
While helping care for my mother, HIPAA was never brought up. It has been in other situations, and I believe that healthcare providers make an honest effort to "help the caregivers" when there is clear need.

Denial can be the biggest impediment and lead to the most unfortunate outcomes. Still, my post was in response to Amethyst's question, and denial should be less of an obstacle if we are proactive
Old 01-14-2016, 05:29 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Still, my post was in response to Amethyst's question, and denial should be less of an obstacle if we are proactive

Got it. Other folks experiences should not be shared if they interfere with your responses.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:35 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Got it. Other folks experiences should not be shared if they interfere with your responses.
Neither my intention nor implied in my post.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:36 AM   #17

We watched the change from column one to column two with my MIL. She was distrustful of doctors and in strong denia. She was also afraid - and angry. Unfortunately, that created quite an adversarial situation. She was the caregiver for FIL - and her memory issues were creating issues in caregiving - but she refused to consider putting him in a skilled nursing home or even getting a home health aid in to help, even when she could no longer provide the care. He had dementia and stroke like symptoms - so the care needed was significant. She had POA for him so she blocked family efforts to get him the care he needed. The only way to get proper care for him, unfortunately, was to have her (and him) declared incompetent and DH became legal guardian of both of them. Nothing like a court setting with experts telling mom she'd no longer capable.

It was a nightmare. But she had both medical and psychologists (court ordered) confirm the dementia/memory loss. But it was humiliating to her and created a lot of anger towards her children.

This is a long winded way of saying - get your POAs in order prior to needing them. (MIL never thought it was possible she'd need one for herself.)
Old 01-14-2016, 03:36 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

When we all suspected that my friend had it we did have a POA for her because her hubby was dying of cancer. WE took her to neurologist even though she didn't want to go. He had her draw a clock and set it for a certain time, asked her the date, president, etc none of which she knew. She did know her own name, date of birth etc. AFter about a 2 hour exam he said yes she did have the disease and put her on meds to help. One of the saddest days of my life. There was no other family to help.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Still remember to zip down.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:01 PM   #20

My brother has early onset Alzheimer at 50. He's now 60. He knows he's retired, but can't tell you if it's Air Force or Navy he retired from. When we go out to eat, he can't remember what he likes, so he waits for me to order then just says he'll have the same. He can play some card games, like Phase10, but can't figure out how to use a computer keyboard. He can't drive a car and really gets upset over that. He sometimes wakes up when it's still dark out, and thinks he's in the kitchen when he's in the laundry room. I told him I was taking him to Hawaii next month. He packed a bag within the hour and now asks several times a day when we are leaving. I got him one of those retirement countdown clocks and set it for the time we leave for Hawaii. Now when he asks, I tell him to check his clock.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote