Join Early Retirement Today

Middle age is not too late to increase cardiac fitness
Old 01-29-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

There's hope for us yet!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.daec1bac3f34

Middle age is not too late to increase cardiac fitness, studies show

Late January can be a difficult time for anyone who began a new exercise routine on New Year’s Day. Research has shown that nearly half of all resolutions have faded by the end of January, and things only get worse after that. The situation can look especially dire for midlife adults beginning an exercise habit after years of inactivity.

If you find yourself struggling, three new studies might rekindle your motivation. All conclude that midlife (and older) adults can sustain an exercise routine and gain a range of health benefits.

(1) The most remarkable of the papers, “Reversing the Cardiac Effects of Sedentary Aging in Middle Age,” was published in Circulation, the journal of the American Heart Association. It went where no previous exercise study has gone, lasting two years rather than the more customary three to four months. The researchers employed a randomized, prospective design with both an experimental group and controls. For precision results, they probed into their subjects’ heart ventricles.

Individuals in the exercise group, who had an average age of 53 when they started working out after years of sedentary living, increased their aerobic fitness by 18 percent. They also improved their cardiac compliance, or elasticity, by 25 percent.

[...]

In earlier studies, Levine had shown that older athletes have roughly the same degree of cardiac compliance as young adults. However, he had also discovered that regular exercise couldn’t increase the cardiac compliance of subjects over 65. Now he believes he has found the “sweet spot” in time when adults can still enhance their heart function: from ages 45 to 64.

“We have demonstrated that if you incorporate regular exercise into your daily life, starting no later than middle age, you can restore the youthfulness of your heart muscle,” he says.

Levine’s subjects followed an exercise program similar to those used by serious athletes, beginning with low-intensity “base training” workouts three times a week for 30 minutes each. After four weeks, the subjects began using a little more effort. Later, they added interval training to their regimen, and one weekly longer workout of at least 60 minutes. During peak training, they worked out four or five times a week for about 180 minutes in total — 30 minutes more than the minimum standard of 150 minutes per week recommended by many fitness guidelines.

Some would judge this program too hard and time-consuming for many busy adults. Levine disagrees, noting that his subjects completed 88 percent of their assigned workouts, with nearly a quarter hitting 97 percent.

“Exercise is so important that people should think of it as part of their personal hygiene, like brushing their teeth,” he says. “Our program isn’t difficult to incorporate into your life. You should do one fun activity for at least an hour on the weekend, and one hard activity for 30 minutes after your second cup of coffee another day. Then, on another two or three days, exercise for 30 minutes while you’re watching TV.”

(2) Another new research report, from Mayo Clinic Proceedings, tracked changes in fitness and mortality among more than 6,000 men and women who were, on average, in their late 40s at the outset. Those who maintained or improved their fitness over 4.2 years had a 40 percent lower mortality rate than those who lost fitness due to insufficient activity.

(3) While 65 may represent an upper age limit for changes to heart function, consistent exercise can offer other health payoffs to older adults. A study just published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine investigated the walking habits of 139,000 Americans who were nearly 71 years old, on average, when first monitored. Thirteen years later, those who reported little to no weekly walking had died at a rate 26 percent higher than those who walked regularly, but for less than two hours a week. Those who walked two to six hours a week had a mortality rate 36 percent lower than the under-two-hour walking group.

“Walking is simple, free, and does not require any training,” the researchers concluded. “Thus it is an ideal activity for most Americans, especially as they age.”
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Consistent with many previous studies. I have been doing strenuous workouts for over 35 years. Currently 67 retired 11 years. Feel great, healthy. Having more time for physical fitness is one of the great benefits of retirement. My doctor says my cardio capacity is remarkable for my age but you don’t have to work out as hard as I do. Walking would be a great start.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Consistent with many previous studies. I have been doing strenuous workouts for over 35 years. Currently 67 retired 11 years. Feel great, healthy. Having more time for physical fitness is one of the great benefits of retirement. My doctor says my cardio capacity is remarkable for my age but you don’t have to work out as hard as I do. Walking would be a great start.
What your normal workout Danmar?
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks, Rosie, for posting this and especially with so much detail as Washington Post articles require a subscription. I jogged regularly from age 15 to 35 but eventually stopped as my job got more demanding and my weight increased. Since then I have occasionally started back on a cardio program but stayed with it for a year or two at most. The last time was in my late 50's and I stopped when I developed a bad case of bursitis in my hip from overusing my exercise bike. My lesson then after going to physical therapy was that I could not just spend 150-180 minutes a week on cardio as I had done in my youth - any meaningful exercise regimen was going to require additional time for strength training to avoid future injuries given my age and poor shape.

Since retiring at age 62 a few months ago, I have started cardio up again but now have the time to also work on strengthening my muscles and core - hopefully to avoid developing hip, knee, shoulder, or back pain. My dad died in his 50's of a heart attack and my aunt and grandmother had a history of strokes so I worry about the impact of all those years of inactivity on my heart. It's a relief to learn that 62 is not too late to reverse some of the damage.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
... Washington Post articles require a subscription.
I've heard that sometimes if you google the title of an article, you get a link that bypasses the subscription wall. At least temporarily. But YMMV.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:12 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Great article. Thanks for posting. I have noticed significant improvement in my strength and endurance since increasing my cardio workouts to 45-60 minutes a day/6 times a week (not to mention a 20+ pound weight loss). For me, having time to workout (without work stress entering my mind), is one of the best parts of retirement.
Bklyn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
What your normal workout Danmar?
Almost everyday, I will do 40-50minutes of elliptical or spinning bike as well as stretches and core work. I try to get my heart rate into the low 150’s averaging around 140 bpm. Trainer twice a week on top of that. Sometimes I will substitute a longish bike ride . Today went around 43kms indicated burn about 800 cals. I think pretty good for 67 year old.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:14 PM   #8

Interesting article. thanks for posting it.

This article by a different author on the same subject describes the workouts in more detail.

"
The researchers eased the exercise group into its routine during the first couple of months to avoid injury, Levine said, but eventually the participants adopted a regular set of workouts that included:
  • Two days of high-intensity intervals: Exercises where a person works out as much as possible for four minutes, and then spends three minutes in active recovery before hitting it again, four times in a row.
  • One day of long moderate-intensity exercise: At least an hour spent in some activity that raises the heart rate, be it square dancing, tennis, cycling or a brisk walk.
  • One or two days featuring 30 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise.
The regimen also included two recovery days that followed interval training, consisting of 20 to 30 minutes of walking or light aerobic activity."

https://consumer.healthday.com/cardi...rt-729940.html
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Almost everyday, I will do 40-50minutes of elliptical or spinning bike as well as stretches and core work. I try to get my heart rate into the low 150’s averaging around 140 bpm. Trainer twice a week on top of that. Sometimes I will substitute a longish bike ride . Today went around 43kms indicated burn about 800 cals. I think pretty good for 67 year old.
That's about 90% max hr. That's quite intense. Well done.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:15 AM   #10

Looks like I fit in this group. Other than occasional bicycle ride in nice weather, I was an overweight couch potato until my late 40's. I had a scare (bad heartburn that I thought was a heart attack), and I started to eat a little better and begin exercising. A regular walking schedule evolved into running, and within a year's time I was an "addicted" runner.
I now engage in running/cycling/swimming and some light resistance. I have an underlying medical condition and I a 100% convinced my generally good health from exercising is why my condition has not progressed.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:44 AM   #11
gone traveling

I never considered an age cutoff for achieving fitness improvements, whether cardio or strength.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
That's about 90% max hr. That's quite intense. Well done.
Thank you. It’s quite an effort. Lose about 2 lbs of water each workout. Not sure how long I can keep it up at this pace. Hoping for 70 at least.

I have diabetes in my family and I am the only male sibling without it. I attribute this to my fitness regimen.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Totally agree and you are doing great. Am 69 and do runs plus gym work. It is kind of fun. One just has to do this with a degree of common sense.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't really start seriouly exercising until my 40s. Now in my 50s, retired and more fit then when I was young. It is never too late to start exercising and can start gently like walking. I try to convience some relatives who are overweigh and not in good health to exercise. I was told that exercise is not going to cure anything
GoodWishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #15

My body is recovering from doing cardio all my life. When muscles and tendons heal I'll be back. Agree any exercise should be a part of every day
Old 02-01-2018, 04:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
My body is recovering from doing cardio all my life. When muscles and tendons heal I'll be back. Agree any exercise should be a part of every day
I find that most cardio machines are pretty good for your tendons and joints. Also biking. Running can be a problem I think.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:38 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I find that most cardio machines are pretty good for your tendons and joints. Also biking. Running can be a problem I think.
In general running can be hard on the body especially if one doesn't follow some basic common sense guidelines.

This has worked for me over recent decades:
1) Buy good quality shoes at a running store where they can evaluate your stride. Replace shoes after maybe 500 miles especially if you are a big person and are hard on shoes.
2) Don't get too enthusiastic. Build up very gradually to let your body adjust. Very important as we age.
3) Try to run on trails, not pavement.
4) Try to run when it is not too cold out. My preferred start out temperature is in the 50's.
5) Supplement with some stretching after warming up. I do this in the middle of the run or at the gym.
6) Drink plenty of water to replenish fluids.

I've probably forgotten something on this list.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:16 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
In general running can be hard on the body especially if one doesn't follow some basic common sense guidelines.

This has worked for me over recent decades:
1) Buy good quality shoes at a running store where they can evaluate your stride. Replace shoes after maybe 500 miles especially if you are a big person and are hard on shoes.
2) Don't get too enthusiastic. Build up very gradually to let your body adjust. Very important as we age.
3) Try to run on trails, not pavement.
4) Try to run when it is not too cold out. My preferred start out temperature is in the 50's.
5) Supplement with some stretching after warming up. I do this in the middle of the run or at the gym.
6) Drink plenty of water to replenish fluids.

I've probably forgotten something on this list.
7) Stretch out after you complete the run.
tominboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:18 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Good advice in the above posts. After talking with my doctor and chiro, I’ve changed my running routine from long distance to interval training.

Now I only run as a weight workout warmup. About 3 miles of run/ walk HIIT. Great workout and less wear/tear on the joints.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:45 PM   #20

So if running is so bad for your joints, etc esp as you age why not take up spinning, biking, or elliptical ? Might allow you to keep going longer?

Tags
exercise, fitness