Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

actually your fun at 40s was likely more midlife than any foolishness at 50, unless you really think you're going to 100. i'm holding off on having my midlife crisis until i'm 65. maybe i should recalculate my swr first.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
YOU THINK YOU'VE had a mid-life crisis?
My DW won't let me ride a motorcycle OR take flying lessons.
NOW THAT'S a mid-life crisis.
For my 40th birthday DW bought me flying lessons - came as a complete surprise as I had not even mentioned the possibility.

.... I think may be she expected me to have a mid-life crisis and decided to try and point it in the right direction

Old 01-18-2008, 08:27 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
For my 40th birthday DW bought me flying lessons - came as a complete surprise as I had not even mentioned the possibility.

.... I think may be she expected me to have a mid-life crisis and decided to try and point it in the right direction
lol congrats... I guess I'll have to do my flying in the coach section.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:50 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I think that a mid-life crisis compares well with your teen years. Some pass through with ease, and some have a real challenge on their hands. Decisions made in these times when the brain is not at its peak can easily impact the rest of ones life.

The problem is that even though everyone else sees it, you can't recognize that your thinking and actions are odd until after you pass through that stage of your life and look back. Hopefully you look back and can laugh at yourself rather than being filled with regret.

That mid life affair/divorce, red sports car, toupee, motorcycle, abrupt job change, relocation with no real prospects, ER at all costs, all seem like perfectly rational ideas when someone in a mid-life crisis is making decisions. If you can cruise through the 35-55 age range without doing too many of these things then count yourself lucky.

There are plenty of people who look back on those years and can't fathom that they once believed their actions and thoughts to be rational.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
I think that a mid-life crisis compares well with your teen years. Some pass through with ease, and some have a real challenge on their hands. Decisions made in these times when the brain is not at its peak can easily impact the rest of ones life.

The problem is that even though everyone else sees it, you can't recognize that your thinking and actions are odd until after you pass through that stage of your life and look back. Hopefully you look back and can laugh at yourself rather than being filled with regret.

That mid life affair/divorce, red sports car, toupee, motorcycle, abrupt job change, relocation with no real prospects, ER at all costs, all seem like perfectly rational ideas when someone in a mid-life crisis is making decisions. If you can cruise through the 35-55 age range without doing too many of these things then count yourself lucky.

There are plenty of people who look back on those years and can't fathom that they once believed their actions and thoughts to be rational.
Reminds me of college and the all purpose morning-after excuse: "At the time, it made sense."
Old 01-18-2008, 10:07 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I guess I'm having a mid-life crisis: I have an uncontrollable urge to RETIRE!!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:35 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

I was wondering when someone was going to say that most of our mid-life crisis's was early retirement.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:37 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I was wondering when someone was going to say that most of our mid-life crisis's was early retirement.
We are too polite, and too aware of our own vulnerability to mention such a thing.

Ha
Old 01-18-2008, 09:32 PM   #29

Mazda Miata?
Old 01-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #30

The stereotypical symbols of the male midlife crisis are usually the job crisis, desire for other women (sexual/ego inflation), and new stuff, like the proverbial red sports car (more ego inflation?). What are the symbols for women, I wonder? Having never gone through this, I'm curious. I'd imagine that some women, like men, have a midlife crisis based on sudden fear that life is passing them by. They have the stereotypical affair or get into image inhancement, since a woman's value is so often based on her appearance.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:44 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife has suggested several times I was having a mid life crisis but I told her when/if I had one she would know. It would be much bigger.

Jeb
Old 01-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #32

I planned DH's midlife crisis for him--when he turned 40. We quit work and went sailing for 3 months. It seemed easier than waiting around to see what he'd come up with on his own!
He's now off on a year-45 sojourn for a week with old friends all hitting the same milestone. Hiking to the highest mountain in Costa Rica.
All good with me, heck, I'm planning my 40th birthday party and it is still almost 3 years away!

I want in on that motorhome race--but I've gotta have a pretty good head start--like a couple of states!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:27 PM   #33

I had my mid-life crisis at 49. Pretty classic -- trade in a perfectly good car for a brand new two-seater convertible that you don't really want to take out on snowy roads in Colorado. It was precipitated by one of those medical diagnoses that reminds you that time is passing.

But as a friend of mine pointed out, since I'm not likely to make it to 98, "mid-life" might not be so accurate.

Coach
Old 01-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I planned DH's midlife crisis for him--when he turned 40. We quit work and went sailing for 3 months. It seemed easier than waiting around to see what he'd come up with on his own!
He's now off on a year-45 sojourn for a week with old friends all hitting the same milestone. Hiking to the highest mountain in Costa Rica.
All good with me, heck, I'm planning my 40th birthday party and it is still almost 3 years away!

I want in on that motorhome race--but I've gotta have a pretty good head start--like a couple of states!
You married 8 years older, and women live 7 years longer than men..............sounds like a FIRE plan to me!!

Old 01-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
You married 8 years older, and women live 7 years longer than men..............sounds like a FIRE plan to me!!
No moss growing on you, FD! Of course that was my evil plan! But as a consolation, he gets to retire at 50, while I keep working merrily away for at least a few more years!

So, FD, how's the phone this and last week? Whew, not many freaking out, but those that are, are the new ones!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Seems to me there's more distress on here with the DIY crowd than with my clients.

Of course, REWahoo would attribute it to the fact I only manage money for DEAD people..........

Old 01-22-2008, 04:30 PM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
The stereotypical symbols of the male midlife crisis are usually the job crisis, desire for other women (sexual/ego inflation), and new stuff, like the proverbial red sports car (more ego inflation?). What are the symbols for women, I wonder? Having never gone through this, I'm curious. I'd imagine that some women, like men, have a midlife crisis based on sudden fear that life is passing them by. They have the stereotypical affair or get into image inhancement, since a woman's value is so often based on her appearance.
Go off on a brief cruise with "the girls", clip & dip at a top salon, nails at a nail salon, divorce, quit the job and go back to college, go dancing, travel to Tuscany or Vienna, run a marathon, get a real estate license, open a dress shop... We can all use a little change in our lives when it seems like life is passing us by!

I think that as women, sometimes we are expected to do a variety of things, so our midlife crises aren't as obvious to others as men's midlife crises. Many of us still need to break loose and live the lives we always wanted to live, just like they do. For me that was especially true when my child grew up and I was freed of some of the motherly responsibilities of earlier years.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:38 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
For me that was especially true when my child grew up and I was freed of some of the motherly responsibilities of earlier years.
In my case FIRE will closely coincide with the youngest being on his own....who would have "thunk" it??

Old 01-22-2008, 04:46 PM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
In my case FIRE will closely coincide with the youngest being on his own....who would have "thunk" it??
Are you going to have fun in ER, or WHAT?

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:29 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I had my mid-life crisis at 49. Pretty classic -- trade in a perfectly good car for a brand new two-seater convertible that you don't really want to take out on snowy roads in Colorado. It was precipitated by one of those medical diagnoses that reminds you that time is passing.

But as a friend of mine pointed out, since I'm not likely to make it to 98, "mid-life" might not be so accurate.

Coach

But I still wonder how buying a great 2 seater, yes they are sweet and great cars I mean the honda or the mazda or the BMW are well just great vehicles. I had a two seater the MG Midget back in the early 70s so how come when we get a bit older, don't want to drive around another say couple in the back seat or we don't want to drive say my sister in laws 8 year old and her friends that its called a midlife crisis??