Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2017, 06:10 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My daughter used to get bad migraines as many as 3 a week. She said they went away
after she started earthing/grounding while sleeping on conductive sheets connected
to earth ground.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2017, 07:14 PM   #22

I started them as a teenager. I didn't know what they were. I would think I've got a headache so bad I can see it. . . In addition to the visual and head pain, I would become sensitive to light and would get very nauseous or vomit.

They reached a crescendo when my mother was terminally ill.

I haven't had one in a while now, although I do get frequent headaches.
MarieIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:42 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had the auras followed by bad headaches when I was a kid (11-12) and they went away. This past August (age 65) they came back for the first time in 50 years

I also get something called "silent migraines" which can have all the symptoms (nausea, auras, vomiting, noise/light sensitivity) without the headache. Stress seems to be my trigger--and chocolate. Acupuncture seems to help a lot.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:47 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
My daughter used to get bad migraines as many as 3 a week. She said they went away
after she started earthing/grounding while sleeping on conductive sheets connected
to earth ground.
Well, this is interesting.

The big thing my acupuncturist has been telling me for 10 years is that "everything wants to go up" with me and that I need to "send things down to the earth". It is 'acupuncture speak' so I'm not always tuned into what she means, but...interesting.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:31 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've been getting auras without headache for 40 years. I've gotten 2 in a row a number of times.

For me, magnesium is a miracle cure. When I started taking Nexium, which can lower magnesium, my auras increased to 2-3 per week. This went on for a few years and interfered with working and driving.

Once I started magnesium supplements, the auras went back to 1-2 per month as they had been my whole life.
deskpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:35 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I had no idea that this was so common. My girlfriend was the first person that I knew to have it. Scared me.

Ha
Old 01-01-2018, 09:53 AM   #27

I get so-called "silent" migraines. I see another poster calling them ocular migraines. I got them in middle school and early high school, then they disappeared for about 30 years. Never knew what the trigger was. Now when I get them, it's almost always after having drunk red wine and then exercising the day after. No headaches. The symptoms are strange - a portion of my vision is distorted, like looking through a crumbled up piece of cellophane. And sensitivity to light and nausea is there too. Over time, the distortion moves to the bottom of my vision field. I've found that I can make it go away in under 30 minutes with a strong shot of caffeine followed by a vow to not drink red wine and exercise. :-)
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:15 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

During our nine-day trip to Denver, I didn't take daily vitamins. Less Mg. Hmm.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:50 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Al, there's also a relationship between altitude and migraines, not sure about auras.

Here's a link:
https://americanmigrainefoundation.o...-and-headache/

Key PointsHeadache and acute mountain sickness occur commonly over 8,500 feet above sea level.Actions to reduce headaches at high altitude include good hydration and gradual ascent with days of rest and sleep at lower altitude whenever possible.Take ASA, furosemide or acetazolamide several days before going to high altitude to avoid headache.

I know shortly after we moved to 7600' DW woke up with a severe migraine. She'd never had one before and we went to the ER in the middle of the night. They tried a lot of meds, dilaudid was the only thing that helped.

Since then she's had a minor one. Altitude sickness is no fun. Hope you are well.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:58 AM   #30

Yep, I get them. So does my brother. The first time it happened to me, in my twenties, I was cleaning leaves off the roof of my house. I was afraid I would be stuck up there! Mine go away away after 15-20 minutes, which is a real pain if I’m driving or w*rking on the computer. Eventually, I found a book called “Conquering Headache” after hearing the author on the radio describe exactly my visual auras. I didn’t know before that it was a form of migraine. Among other triggers, that book listed many common food triggers: artificial sweeteners, chocolate, caffeine, red wine, processed meats, MSG, aged cheese, pickled foods, etc., each of which can be particular to a given person. I experimented over the years and have largely stopped the auras by avoiding MSG and Aspartame. Simply quitting eating artificially sweetened yogurt cut out half of the episodes, I found. I appreciate this post, because like Haha, I had no idea it was so common. Maybe it’s common to early retirement types. Hmmmm!
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:25 PM   #31

I have never known any one to have one and would also think they were having a stroke. I learn about so many things on this site.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:02 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Had another one yesterday, and this seemed to have an interesting perspective checkerboard pattern in the middle of the scintillating C.

Thinking back, they do come in clusters, then don't happen for years.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:14 PM   #33

Wife's had them fairly regularly for most of her life. She has been unable to identify any particular trigger. No headache, so not so much motivation.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:30 PM   #34

I get them too and I’ve also had a torn retina. There is a difference in how they look from a torn retina. I just don’t want anyone to confuse the two. The torn retina was more like stars.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:29 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Had a new twist on this today: When I sat up in bed this morning, I got VERY dizzy. It didn't get better, and I figured a "stone got loose" in the semicircular canals.

But then, an hour later, I got an aura. Some Googling showed me that those things are related (probably not just a coincidence).

https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/884136-overview
Old 12-30-2018, 03:51 PM   #36

I've had this aura precursor to a migraine, although I don't get migraines regularly. It was sort of beautiful, a light headed feeling and the aura had color. A good friend of ours described his retina detachment as a swarm of bugs coming at him. It happened when he was having dinner in a restaurant with DW. Went straight to ER and the treatment was pretty awful.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:57 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

When my grandma died I got a horrible migraine. Then 3 years later during my third pregnancy I had them all through it. Then a year later and 40 years later I haven’t had any. The headaches were beyond horrible with vomiting, etc. But I never had a aurora.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:01 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I have had a three - two from a change in hair products that went away when I washed my hair, and one from a particular yoga pose that tightened my neck and shoulder muscles and went away with rest and heat packs. I think the yoga induced one cut off some of the blood flow to my head and eyes and the others were pretty clearly almost immediate allergic reactions.

Some of our family members get migraines from too many high acid foods like too much coffee, and they go away with antacids. I used to think only magnesium antacids would help, but some use calcium antacids and those seem to work, too.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:30 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Had a new twist on this today: When I sat up in bed this morning, I got VERY dizzy. It didn't get better, and I figured a "stone got loose" in the semicircular canals.

But then, an hour later, I got an aura. Some Googling showed me that those things are related (probably not just a coincidence).

https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/884136-overview

Thanks for sharing this experience and the related article.

I’ve had migraine with auras in the past, triggered by low blood sugar. A careful diet has kept them away for many years. However, three times in the last month I’ve had the “loose stone” dizziness upon waking. I never would have connected it to migraines, but I’m relatively sure you have solved my health mystery.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 04:32 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post
I never would have connected it to migraines, but I’m relatively sure you have solved my health mystery.
Right. If I hadn't had the aura, I wouldn't have figured it out.