Join Early Retirement Today

Migraine Auras?
Old 12-31-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Migraine Auras?

Any of you get these? I've had about ten of them in the last twenty years. I've had a cluster of them recently, and I'm having a big one now.

One happened a few days ago when at 11,000 feet. The next day, to show my daughter what they're like, I loaded this video (which is quite accurate):

When I watched it, bang, I got another one.

At the start, my fovea is blanked out and I can't read. I have to have faith that it will go away, and it always does.

Luckily, I don't get the actual migraines, as do two of my sisters.

From this ER forum, I see that I had my first one around 2006:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post415121
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2017, 12:57 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

In the interest of public safety I suggest your remove the migraine causing video....I bet you won't be watching that again. Sometimes migraines can be caused by flashing tv shows or certain type video games.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:08 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Yep, I get ocular migraines frequently, had one yesterday. The first time I had one it scared the bejeebers out of me - had no idea what was happening. My oldest daughter has them as well.

No headache associated with them, thankfully.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:36 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

My migraines started as a child and ended in my 30's when I changed jobs. Not only did I get the auras but also numbness on one side of my body, Aphasia which is difficulty understanding language or expressing words, slurred speech and vomiting. These symptoms are similar to symptoms when having a stroke.

The migraines returned 4-5 years ago with milder symptoms which include the flashing lights and feeling out of sorts. They only occurred when I was running, cycling or hiking. The doctor said it was exercise induced ocular migraines which he also got while exercising.
littleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I used to have them on occasion in the past. Funny thing...I have been retired nearly 4 years and have not had one since I retired. I used to get the funny rotating squarish neon light things with a migraine, too.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:43 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have had them on and off for my whole life. I always wondered if they were related to a rapid change in blood pressure, or whether one caused the other to change. Rarely, I have had a severe head ache, but mostly it passes without one thankfully.
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:46 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Never knew of them, thankfully I don't get them. I did have chronic "clusters headaches", AKA suicide headaches. They were not any fun at all.

I've only identified one physical cause, when I'd lost a piece of dental work. I believe stress was part of the reason. Haven't had one since Megacorp days.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:57 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

My girlfriend has had these. She gets some help from dietary restrictions, but it seems kind of difficult.

Ha
Old 12-31-2017, 02:04 PM   #9

When I turned 30 I started to get this type of migraine. Luckily, by tracking my diet I was able to identify my trigger, which was sugar and eliminate them. Now I only eat sugary foods with a full meal. It’s probably been 20 years since my last event.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:25 PM   #10

I had one a few years ago, I thought I was having a stroke. My vision was strobing and flashing and numb in my hand. Went to the doc who sent me to a neurologist. CT scan of the brain was inconclusive.

About a year ago I had another, this time it was caused by artificial sweetener. Finally figured out it was an ocular migraine. Strange because I have no headache when it happens.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:33 PM   #11

I get them too. Generally they fade away after 1/2 hour or so. If at all possible, I lie down and close my eyes until the visual effects pass.

Years ago I used to get a spitting headache as well. Fortunately that doesn't happen any more.

From the responses here, it looks as if 'silent migraines' are pretty common!
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:50 PM   #12

I've had one of those. It started as a neon green crescent that spread to a doughnut shape partially blocking my vision. I could see around it and through the middle. No pain, but afterwards I felt a little weak and tired. It happened in the locker room after a workout, so maybe it was triggered by changes in blood pressure or blood sugar. One name for these is scintillating scotoma, though mine didn't exactly scintillate, it just glowed bright green.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:01 PM   #13

I get them occasionally, but mine are much more dramatic than that. The last one looked like a circle of piano keys flashing off and on. Other times they are the expanding zig zag pattern with dramatic expansion and light changes.

I used to get the headaches but they have gone away in recent years and I don't mind the ocular effects since I know what they are. Sometimes they are even entertaining
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:25 PM   #14

I get them usually once or twice a year. Really scared me the first time. Mine are invariably of the shimmering chevron variety if that makes sense to anyone. No headaches with them fortunately. Here's what mine look like only not as colorful:
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:12 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I had one once. Extreme headache, light flashes, the slightest noise hurt my head. I had to stay in a dark room until the doctor had me come to the hospital. After tests it was concluded that is was caused by a bursted blood vessel. My friend has migraines which are brought on by chocolate.
Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:48 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I get migraine auras, but not like the videos. I would describe them more like the reflection of sunlight off of rippling water projected up to be seen on the underside of a bridge. Vaguely like this:

I remember my very first one during a geometry exam. I just put my head down and went to sleep.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:01 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
I get them usually once or twice a year. Really scared me the first time. Mine are invariably of the shimmering chevron variety if that makes sense to anyone. No headaches with them fortunately. Here's what mine look like only not as colorful:
EXACTLY! Just one time in life for me. I was at the computer and got it, figuring it was a stroke, but typed "Seeing flashing chevrons" in google and self diagnosed something less severe.

Hope to not have one again.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:06 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

My 10 year old grandson had one Friday night. His eyesight went black for 30 seconds. Then colors left him for an hour or so. Red looked silver.

Hasn't had one since after we kept him quiet all weekend.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:20 PM   #19

I have had what I believe are migraines in the past. My own diagnosis - not a doctor opinion. Used to have them a few times a year when I was w*rking. After FIRE I think I've only had two or three in six years and they are much lower intensity than when I had a j*b.

In the scheme of things mine were relatively mild. My auras were like halos - kind of cloudy/milky vision all around and somewhat normal vision in the center. The associated headache would be pretty intense and even cause some queasy feeling in my stomach.

The solution for me was to take two migraine pain reliever tablets - combination aspirin & caffeine. That knocked it out completely or at least made it manageable.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:58 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I had these a couple of times a month in 2010/2011. Usually it was a lightning bolt through my vision, occasionally spreading out into a ball of lightning. Occasionally it showed as tunnel vision surrounded by a ring of sparkles/lightning. They mostly went away after I started supplementing magnesium. Now I get one once or twice a year if I get dehydrated.