Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
As soon as one of my shipmates was commissioned an ensign in the Supply Corps a couple years ago, the assignment officer asked "So, when would you like to deploy?"

His deployment's more than half finished, and he'll be back from Afghanistan in a few months...
Certainly... but in much,much smaller numbers than the other services.
The Navy was very concerned that they are seen as having a horse in this race come budget time. That being said, the medics and logistics guys from the USN are doing a bang up job. The Army is suffering systemically, but this won't be noticed until GWOT winds down, hopefully soon.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Delay
Old 06-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Delay

Quote:
"He's trying to get into the military at the absolutely most positively worst time of the year, when the services get about 40%-60% of their new recruits during about 10% of the year."
Just went to my MEPS physical and spent the day with a bunch
of young prospective enlistees.

Everyone there was 6-9 months away from going to start training,
even the Army folks.

All the best to your grandson,
LB

Old 06-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbucket View Post
Just went to my MEPS physical and spent the day with a bunch of young prospective enlistees.
So, et tu, Leftbucket?

Which service greeted you with open arms and a signing bonus?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
USAF
Old 06-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

USAF

Sorry, Nords, it's the wild blue yonder for me.

The review board is hopefully going to vote on my chaplain candidate packet
in a month or so.

Coast Guard(Navy) chaplaincy was tempting since I work a lot
with the Coast Guard in my civilian job.

Just plain too many different uniforms in the Navy, though. Too confusing....

-LB
Old 06-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As a current military recruiter (Navy - primarily Officers, but now also responsible for my enlisted recruiters as well) - yes, there is a waiting list on both enlisted and officer side of the house. More of my time is spent turning interested people away, that trying to get them through the enlistment/commissioning process.

For college graduates, in general the doors are closed unless you are a nurse, dentist, physician, well-educated and ordained minister/pastor/priest, etc, or possible Nuclear Power officer (technical math/science degrees and can pass the in-person nuke test). There are cases of the random "right place right time" squeaker's in for other programs for active duty officers (we had a 7 week window for CEC - mech/elec/civil/structural engineers a few weeks ago!) Navy OCS is closed right now (until further notice) - our young officers are coming out of the academy, current enrollments in BDCP (Bachelor Degree Completion Program), STA-21 (enlisted commissioning program) and NROTC - and many of the NROTC students will never see active duty - "thank you for your near-service, but we are commissioning you into the Inactive Reserve" - and no, you cannot go in as a reservist upon graduation.

It is ugly - and the downsizing on the recruiting (and active) fronts are continuing through at least FY-16 for all branches. (Army sent home about 45,000 soldiers this FY, and the Navy is sending home about 16,000 - keep in mind the percentages are common across the board as congress has mandated X for this year's military end strength.) Since 1988, there are 250,000 fewer sailors in the Navy, and this number is growing! As a choice employer (benefits, pay, quality of life, etc. - despite your personal opinion!), the military can now be very choosy in who they select to come in through the pearly gates.

Reserve Direct Commissioning programs are VERY competitive, and your degree needs to match your resume, which matches the needs of the Navy.

We are still looking for qualified people - but VERY specific people! They are truly making me "earn" my paycheck!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2020 View Post
... the military can now be very choosy in who they select to come in through the pearly gates.
How many stars does St. Peter have?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbucket View Post
Just plain too many different uniforms in the Navy, though. Too confusing....
That's one of the reasons my spouse and I retired!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote