Milk and Weight Loss

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I heard that drinking milk helps in weight loss.

Not only because of studies but from visual inspection. I have a brother who's about a year older than me. We were pretty much the same weight back in college years (years ago). But since middle age, I've seen my weight go up (about 30 lbs). He's only put on about 10 lbs since then. I thought the difference in weight was him married and playing/chasing after his kids. But his kids are mostly grown and he hasn't really put on extra weight.

The other difference I see is he loves cereal, as a result, loves milk. :LOL:

So, I'm giving the milk diet a try.

I drink 2 glasses of nonfat milk per day. Cannot get by without it.

Once you get used to nonfat there is no feeling of loss of taste. On cereal I'll admit that 2% is tastier. Sometimes on vacation I've had that.

Actually in the mornings I just have a bowl of fruit with the milk. This morning I had an orange, piece of toast with butter, milk, and coffee with only sugar.

FWIW I'm pretty slim, but I run more then 20 miles/week in the hills plus do gardening and take occasional walks.

Enough bragging, sorry about that. :)

Last edited:
I heard that drinking milk helps in weight loss.

Not only because of studies but from visual inspection. I have a brother who's about a year older than me. We were pretty much the same weight back in college years (years ago). But since middle age, I've seen my weight go up (about 30 lbs). He's only put on about 10 lbs since then. I thought the difference in weight was him married and playing/chasing after his kids. But his kids are mostly grown and he hasn't really put on extra weight.

The other difference I see is he loves cereal, as a result, loves milk. :LOL:

So, I'm giving the milk diet a try.

I drink skim milk, because regular milk is supposed to be fattening. But really, you may be on to something. I find that even skim milk is very satisfying and helps me to resist various food temptations. So, in that sense it is very helpful in my eternal weight loss efforts.

Maybe your thinner brother is regularly eating his cereal with milk as breakfast and you are skipping breakfast? Eating breakfast is supposed to be one of the biggest factors in maintaining a healthy weight.

signed,
someone who skips breakfast

I've been using skim for at least ten years now and love it. The other types now taste too rich to me.

On the other hand, this spring I rediscovered a love of ice cream from local dairies...

I use fat free organic milk on my morning cereal and love it.

Interesting. I haven't had milk since I was a baby due to being lactose intolerant and i've always been below an ideal weight. I'm currently 6'6" and weigh 163lbs. I just started trying to GAIN weight and have added lactose free milk to my diet to gain weight because it has protein unlike any other drink I ever have. My brother has always drank a lot of milk and he is now at least 30 pounds overweight and starting a diet.

I'm used to drinking skim milk and now any with more fat feels too fat for me. Also, with the lactose free type.

I drink only organic skim, my problem is the cake I have with it.

You sure it wasn't yogurt? This recent newsmaker talked about the long-term weight suppressing effects of yogurt (-0.82 lb./year), nuts (-0.57 lb./year), and fruit (-0.49 lb./year).

Changes in Specific Dietary Factors May Have Big Impact on Long-Term Weight Gain - June 22, 2011 -2011 Releases - Press Releases - Harvard School of Public Health

But here's a question: if you start drinking milk (or eating yogurt), and your weight DOES stop going up, will it suddenly pile on once you quit drinking milk? If so, I don't see the point.

You sure it wasn't yogurt? This recent newsmaker talked about the long-term weight suppressing effects of yogurt (-0.82 lb./year), nuts (-0.57 lb./year), and fruit (-0.49 lb./year).

Changes in Specific Dietary Factors May Have Big Impact on Long-Term Weight Gain - June 22, 2011 -2011 Releases - Press Releases - Harvard School of Public Health

But here's a question: if you start drinking milk (or eating yogurt), and your weight DOES stop going up, will it suddenly pile on once you quit drinking milk? If so, I don't see the point.

I believe is dairy products that may help in losing weight.

Of course, if I drink milk and lose weight and I don't quit drinking milk, then maybe that is a good approach.

I like cereal. So I can't complain.

Now, if it was carrots or lima beans (ick) that help one lose weight, that's another story.

Can't you get your DW to bake you an organic cake?

73ss454 is not being completely honest, as he's not fessing up to all those NY begals he's eating:D

73ss454 is not being completely honest, as he's not fessing up to all those NY begals he's eating:D

Funny you mention bagels, DW and I are up in NY and I've been eating my fair share of bagels.:rolleyes:

Funny you mention bagels, DW and I are up in NY and I've been eating my fair share of bagels.:rolleyes:

Did you pay a visit to Center Moriches or Sunrise Highway (Motion maybe??).

In any event, have a good visit in the old stomping grounds.

Back
Top Bottom