Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

MIND diet for dementia prevention?
Old 06-14-2016, 09:06 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

MIND diet for dementia prevention?

Atop all the recent forum discussion about "what not to eat," the health people at work just pushed an article out to the workforce about the MIND diet, which might be a tool in the toolbox for trying to prevent dementia. MIND Diet for Brain Health

Basically, those beloved "non-carbohydrate" foods (meat, cheese) are to be avoided. But so are empty carbohydrates. Rabbit food rules! And you can have a little bit of wine.

You eat things from these 10 food groups:
  • Green leafy vegetables (like spinach and salad greens): At least six servings a week
  • Other vegetables: At least one a day
  • Nuts: Five servings a week
  • Berries: Two or more servings a week
  • Beans: At least three servings a week
  • Whole grains: Three or more servings a day
  • Fish: Once a week
  • Poultry (like chicken or turkey): Two times a week
  • Olive oil: Use it as your main cooking oil.
  • Wine: One glass a day [if you don't drink alcohol, they don't recommend that you start ]
You avoid:
  • Red meat: Less than four servings a week
  • Butter and margarine: Less than a tablespoon daily
  • Cheese: Less than one serving a week
  • Pastries and sweets: Less than five servings a week
  • Fried or fast food: Less than one serving a week
The Benefits

One study showed that people who stuck to the MIND diet lowered their risk of Alzheimer’s disease by 54%.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 09:29 AM   #2
gone traveling

Does the avoid mean not at all or just follow the less than? Overall, this looks like a good nutrition plan for almost anyone.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:43 AM   #3

At first I though it was a recommendation to eat minds, otherwise known as the zombie diet.

Surely eating the brains of younger people should improve the dementia risk for us oldsters?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:44 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

"Less than" and "avoid" are not mutually exclusive. I read it as allowing a small amount of something, if you really want it. But not saying you should eat that small amount, if you don't want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Does the avoid mean not at all or just follow the less than? Overall, this looks like a good nutrition plan for almost anyone.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

It doesn't say anything yay or nay about organ meats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

Surely eating the brains of younger people should improve the dementia risk for us oldsters?
Old 06-14-2016, 09:49 AM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
At first I though it was a recommendation to eat minds, otherwise known as the zombie diet.

How should they be prepared??
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
How should they be prepared??
It's easier if they're unprepared for your attack.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:30 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'll have to tell my sharp-as-a-tack 87 y.o. mom.

She hasn't eaten a vegetable in 50 years, hates fish, only eats red meat and Chinese food and (ahem) goes quite heavy on the wine (when not hitting the martinis)
Old 06-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I'll have to tell my sharp-as-a-tack 87 y.o. mom.

She hasn't eaten a vegetable in 50 years, hates fish, only eats red meat and Chinese food and (ahem) goes quite heavy on the wine (when not hitting the martinis)
I was thinking the same regarding my 80 y.o. dad. He eats lots of pastries and sweets and fried and salty foods and has no signs of mental decline as of yet. Apparently he has the advantage of genetics working for him, which, I would guess, plays a very important role in things like dementia. Both his parents lived past 85 and both were pretty sharp mentally well past 80. My dad is extremely active for someone of his age, so I'm sure that helps, too. I've seen studies that indicate staying physically fit is likely to be helpful in warding off Alzheimer's.

The MIND diet does look like a phenomenally healthy diet for basically anyone to follow, though.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Been eating this way for the last year. It's a good WOE.
I'll need to be careful about my sweet tooth.

DM was fine till late 80s then it was sad. At least she knew her family. DF hid his, at 95 he was in bad shape, never knew how long he suffered. He wouldn't admit he had an issue ever.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:17 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

It occurred to me that the real problem is that if this diet doesn't prevent dementia, your body will be so healthy that you will live to 120 and not be able to appreciate it.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:45 PM   #12
Administrator

This diet, or something very similar, has been recommended since forever. Take away the fish and chicken and it's the core veggie diet since forever plus a day. In my extended family there are followers and and even physicians who have been advocating this for decades, and it not clear that it is making much of a difference with them.

This is no doubt a very healthful diet, and will benefit people who follow it carefully. There is no evidence it will prevent dementia, or any other specific illness, except perhaps heart disease.

The problem is, the same basic set of lifestyle and dietary recommendations appear time and again as remedies to different ailments or conditions. Over time the illnesses change but the diet does not.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:32 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
This is no doubt a very healthful diet, and will benefit people who follow it carefully. There is no evidence it will prevent dementia, or any other specific illness, except perhaps heart disease.
I did it with NAzi-like precision and my health collapsed. Drs insisted on diagnosing me with all sorts of things that they said only a braintumor can cause. Of course I had no
brain tumor. Went on the Atkins diet. No more "Brain tumor" or other problems Low fta diets cause endocrine and neurological problems

All those vegs have little useful food value. You'd have to graze like a bison and still be hungry. Human body doesn't live on rodent food Whole grains? read the label Whole grains = same as refined flour. Whole thing is more click bait that shows up all over the web. So much for the validity or healthfulness of excessive vegetables
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:46 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
All those vegs have little useful food value. You'd have to graze like a bison and still be hungry. Human body doesn't live on rodent food Whole grains? read the label Whole grains = same as refined flour. Whole thing is more click bait that shows up all over the web. So much for the validity or healthfulness of excessive vegetables

Have to 'heartily' disagree. A strict plant based diet has given me a second life. I have tons more energy, feel fantastic, have dropped all of my medications and have totally lost all of my food cravings. I now enjoy exercise and am in great shape. I am in year 4 and have no desire to return to my bad old ways.

Everyone reacts to diet differently so there isn't one diet that will work for everyone. If something didn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. No male in my family that we know of has lived past 71 so I'll know in 16 years if I'm the exception. In the meantime my life has improved immensely.

Tags
alzheimer's, dementia, health, mind diet, nutrition