Join Early Retirement Today

Mini stroke - TIA anyone?
Old 05-21-2007, 04:37 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mini stroke - TIA anyone?

Last weekend DH probably had a mini stroke (TIA).
Fortunately it all happened in front of a fire station and he was in a stroke unit asap.
At first he was almost paralysed on the left side, but all symptoms went away within 90 minutes.
So far no reasons could be found. He has none of the risk factors, other than some uncles and aunts had strokes - in their 80s.
He is still in hospital for complete check up.

Is anyone familiar with that?
If so, are you under medication like macromar / aspirin?
Wikipedia says that there is some risk for having a bigger stroke within the year after a TIA - how are you adapting to this (new) risk in your life?
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Mini stroke - TIA anyone?
Old 05-21-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Chris, sorry to hear about your husband's TIA, but fortunate that help was nearby.

I'm sure you have learned all this by now, but current thinking really favors getting evaluated in the first hour, much like a heart attack. These can be caused by narrowing of the carotids, bits of clot breaking loose from the heart or aorta, atrial fibrillation causing sluggish blood flow in the upper chambers of the heart, and even migraine with spasm of the blood vessels. Treatment depends on the cause, but often involves good old aspirin, sometimes warfarin and, infrequently, surgery. Definitely not a doc-in-a-box situation .

It's good that the symptoms resolved quickly and I wish you and him all the best.

Rich

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:51 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Me too Chris. Hope it goes really well. My Doctor had this years ago, and has been fine ever since.

And Rich- you are a real asset to this board, and a super nice guy to boot. I hope you won't tire of us.

Ha
Old 05-21-2007, 08:01 AM   #4

Thanks to you both. It all happened 500 miles away from home on a weekend trip. It was not a good feeling to leave him there in the hospital but I was more help here than there.
I hope to pick him up at the end of the week.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:25 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

My mother had a couple mini-strokes - then within a year she had a major hemorragic stroke. Fortunately she did a 95% recovery.

You are doing the right thing in taking this very seriously. Mom's was 5 years ago - so I can't remember anything about preventative possibilities after mini-stroke. Do remember the doctor saying "exercise, exercise, and exercise" are the 3 best preventative measures for strokes.

I hate the term "mini-stroke" - because of the name, I think some people think these things can be ignored.

Good luck to you. I'm not trying to scare or sensationalize.
Delawaredave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:31 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave
My mother had a couple mini-strokes - then within a year she had a major hemorragic stroke. Fortunately she did a 95% recovery.
Yes, this is complicated and serious stuff. Ironically, sometimes the hemorrhagic stroke is caused by the treatment of a prior non-hemorrhagic TIA (for example, one caused by blood clots). The initial treatment decision is a calculated risk, carefully discussed, understood, and accepted by the patient. Fortunately the vast majority do well.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:08 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Chris,

I had a TIA three years ago. They put me in the stroke unit and ran a bunch of tests but fortunately there was no permanent damage.

One week after I got out of the hospital they took Vioxx off the market due to increased risk of heart attacks and strokes. This got my attention as I had been taking Vioxx for over three years for arthritis pain.

2soon
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:16 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Chris,

I forgot to mention that I had exercised regularly and taken low dose aspirin for several years before the TIA, otherwise my outcome might have been much more severe. My neurologist wants me to continue taking the blood thinner Plavix as a precaution due to the TIA and my family history.

Good luck to your husband and his recovery.

2soon
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:54 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I had a TIA about 14 years ago. Probably due to migraine, but no one is certain. It was over in about a minute (and well before I got to the hospital). It's pretty scary because I remember my arm flopping around without any control from me and also trying to speak but only slurring coming out. We had to wait for the on-call neurologist to show up. Based on his breath, his alcohol content meant he was driving drunk to the hospital.

Never had another episode since.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:18 AM   #10

Thanks for all your replies and good wishes!
It seems to have been a severe case of migraine without headache, at least that was the final conclusion of all the doctors he has seen.
They are quite sure that it was not a TIA.
I take this as good news - but if it ever returns I will get him asap to the next stroke unit again.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:20 AM   #11

And it happened again, last weekend.
Again while on a short trip, far from home.

Yesterday he had a MRI done and some very small spots were visible. The neurologist will tell us this afternoon what it means for future life.
We are planning our first post-retirement trip, to Namibia.
Not a place where I would like to be in case of another TIA or stroke.
I am scared.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:27 AM   #12
Administrator

Sorry to hear this Chris, I hope the tests give positive news. I would also be very nervous going on a long trip in the current circumstances.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #13

Is he on blood thinners? Rich mentioned atrial fibrillation. I have paroxysmal AF, which means I am in sinus rhythm most of the time, with infrequent bouts of AF. Even though I am currently in sinus rhythm, my cardiologist is keeping me on warfarin as a precaution to reduce the possibility of stroke. According to him, the most risky time for a stroke is when one goes from AF back into sinus rhythm, since the heartbeats become stronger and can pump blood clots that may have been formed while in AF to the brain.

My best to you and him.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #14

Thanks for your replies and good wishes.
He is not yet on blood thinners. After the first event the experts advised not to take.
This might change now.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

My Mom had several. She was put on blood thinners. In her case it did not seriously impact her quality of life.

Best wishes for you and spouse.

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #16

The neurologist said that there are some indicators that it was a TIA but others are not typical. The spots on the MRI are so small that they are almost non-existent.

He said that DH could take aspirin as blood thinner if he feels more comfortable than without. He saw no reason not to travel, even to remote areas.

So we decided to turn off the scaring mode and enjoy ER to the fullest.
As a dear great aunt told me (before dementia and Alzheimer's came into public focus): "Your memories are the only thing that cannot be taken away from you".
DH left school last month and I reduced work to 3 days and will ER in September.

Thanks so much to you all. It was really helpful to read about your experiences.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:51 AM   #17
Administrator

That's great news. Enjoy your upcoming adventure.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi, sorry to butt in and not even sure if this is relevant

I had a TIA at 39 ( literally just turned 41 ... well 31 minutes ago ) and the research I did suggested taking the asprin at night before bedtime with a large glass of water, I can't fully remember why ( cognitive function not being as good as it was pre TIA) but I think it was something to do with more heart attacks and strokes happen through the night, so the water reduces the potassium levels and the asprin thins the blood when it's most needed

Please do your own research obviously ... But this was one of the many things I learned

All the best
Elantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:57 AM   #19

Happy birthday, Elathan!

Thank you for taking the time to let me have your recommendation.
DH decided to try taking the Aspirin during our trip. 5 more weeks till take off...
Old 08-12-2013, 03:41 AM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

Have a fantastic time , thanks for the birthday wishes
Elantan is offline   Reply With Quote