Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for your responses, had a interesting phone call with my boss's boss today, on a Saturday by the way. He called me (first time) at home. We weren't getting enough response to the anonymous, not mandatory survey. But, the "goal" was 85% participation!! In fact, his sections had the lowest participation in the mega mega corp. Less than 50% of the staff had filled it out. You could hear panic in his voice and maybe just a little anger. He wanted me to call each of direct reports at home and MAKE them do it over the weekend. I told him, "no, I would not do so, sorry; but first thing Monday, I would meet with them, personally to discuss the non-mandatory, anonymous survey". Plus, I told him the results would probably be bad and that the corporation "shouldn't ask the questions, if they didn't want to hear the answers". I could tell he was pissed and he actually hung up on me. I think I've finally now got the impetus to get looking for another job or at least get the process started.

Did I fall down a rabbit hole and end up in Wonderland? Or, is this the new normal in corporate America? If so, let me off right now. It's insane.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would see Personnel on Monday and tell them you need a personal leave of absence. Do a trial retirement.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime444 View Post
Thanks for your responses, had a interesting phone call with my boss's boss today, on a Saturday by the way. He called me (first time) at home. We weren't getting enough response to the anonymous, not mandatory survey. But, the "goal" was 85% participation!! In fact, his sections had the lowest participation in the mega mega corp. Less than 50% of the staff had filled it out. You could hear panic in his voice and maybe just a little anger. He wanted me to call each of direct reports at home and MAKE them do it over the weekend. I told him, "no, I would not do so, sorry; but first thing Monday, I would meet with them, personally to discuss the non-mandatory, anonymous survey". Plus, I told him the results would probably be bad and that the corporation "shouldn't ask the questions, if they didn't want to hear the answers". I could tell he was pissed and he actually hung up on me. I think I've finally now got the impetus to get looking for another job or at least get the process started.

Did I fall down a rabbit hole and end up in Wonderland? Or, is this the new normal in corporate America? If so, let me off right now. It's insane.
That's really messed up. Good for you for sticking to your guns.

Two years might be too long to stick out at a place like that. I work for a megacorp and there is BS but nothing like that.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My beloved mega corp went through a so called merger of equals (what a farce, our CEO sold us down the river for personal gain) with an evil empire many years ago. I lasted 3 years under that regime and decided to take a voluntary early retirement package back in 2003, as I couldn't stand it any more. HR was projecting that 11,000 would sign up for the package and in the end over 21,000 took it. That essentially ended all future voluntary programs as they lost significant management experience in the process.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

DFW_
your situation is exactly the same as mine, the bored of directors in cahoots with the CEO sold us down the river. Guess what they're all gone now, even if they had a position in the new regime. The "new" company is nothing but check the box, auditors of impossible metrics and formentors of a hostile work environment. I'm at a saterllite facility, 3000 mi from corporate and it ain't far enough. It's all about outsourcing and kick'n ass, now; completely short term thinking.

It's been less than a year from the takeover and time has come to a crawl. My previous 10 years flew by, now the clock moves backwards some percentage each day. Unfortunately, at my age, it'll be hard to find other work, I'm assuming. No one wants a burned out, mega, mega corp dude; even with good technical skills.

Anybody gonna make me laugh?
Old 04-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime444 View Post
...Anybody gonna make me laugh?
Here ya go...

Old 04-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ha! Now that one got me to laughing!

You have it easy...how about this one as a hostile environment?...
Old 04-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=Redbugdave;1314322]Ha! Now that one got me to laughing!

You have it easy...how about this one as a hostile environment?.../quote]

What movie is that from?
Old 04-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks guys that was great.............the 2nd one was not far from my current reality.

Keep 'em coming.........................
Old 04-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #30

Freebird...That was a sketch from HBO's Whitest Kids U' Know. Do a Utube search, "WKUK".

Jime...Take things for what they are and lay low till you get a peek at other offers...Like what the others have said. Roads can lead to burned bridges, you know.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

big difference w/my workplace. There, the boss would send in somebody like me. Interns are too valuable due to their youth.

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
Ha! Now that one got me to laughing!

You have it easy...how about this one as a hostile environment?...
Old 04-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

My "final letter" was meeting with the VP in charge of my area and it opened like this~ "We've decided to go in another direction with your area of responsibility..."

A while later, and realizing that there was not an opportunity for my skills and experience, I accepted ER. I then did some simple math and discovered that DW and I had enough assets/income streams to last us until 2044, my 100th birtthyear.

No misery, but a lot of company.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #33

Those are some funny videos.