Moderation is key in exercise

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As we've been hearing lately, moderate exercise appears to be the 'sweet spot'....

“To date, the data suggests that walking and light jogging are almost uniformly beneficial for health and do increase life span,” Dr. O’Keefe says. “But with more vigorous or prolonged exercise, the benefits can become questionable."

Phys Ed: Moderation as the Exercise Sweet Spot - NYTimes.com

omni

See my tagline ;)

Very interesting article for me as I'm pretty much in the sweet spot they mentioned :angel::angel::angel::).

[FONT=&quot]Twenty miles a week or less of jogging at a 10- or 11-minute-mile pace can add years to your life span. [/FONT]
My pace is faster but I'm careful to not get carried away -- literally.

I love to run in the hilly state park behind our house all year around. Some entertaining creatures out there too, even some human ones. When I get a lot older I'll reduce to long walks.

Never stop.

Lsbcal said:
Very interesting article for me as I'm pretty much in the sweet spot they mentioned :angel::angel::angel::).

My pace is faster but I'm careful to not get carried away -- literally.

I love to run in the hilly state park behind our house all year around. Some entertaining creatures out there too, even some human ones. When I get a lot older I'll reduce to long walks.

Never stop.

My knees outvoted my brain 2-1 about 7 years ago to quit running. I just walk a lot of hilly terrain. I don't eat as much as I did then, so I still weigh the same. Whether it provides longer life for me, I don't know. It makes me feel better and help keeps weight off so that is all I am really wanting out of it.

In my case I do 3 miles ellipticals plus 10 min. brisk walk in treadmill 6 days a week. On my off day, I will ride my bike or just leisurely walk in the park for about an hour.
For me the important thing is to be consistent and do not let anything stop us from doing it almost everyday.

It also includes moderation in eating and not smoking.

My knees outvoted my brain 2-1 about 7 years ago to quit running. I just walk a lot of hilly terrain. I don't eat as much as I did then, so I still weigh the same. Whether it provides longer life for me, I don't know. It makes me feel better and help keeps weight off so that is all I am really wanting out of it.
Sounds like you are doing the right thing for you. We all enjoy eating and it's nice to really have an appetite. I don't know whether it exercise will extend my years here but it will make them a little more pleasant.

"But I do exercise . . . sometimes.
That's what a lot of people tell themselves.
In surveys, a consistent 30 to 35 percent of people report moderate to vigorous levels of physical activity. But in the past few years, researchers have begun to outfit study participants with devices that record movement, and the truth has come out: Fewer than 5 percent of adults are doing the recommended level of activity."

Exercise will change your life, and here's why | Pacific NW | The Seattle Times

People on this board are unusually disciplined in most or all areas of life, and exercise is no exception. This linked article tells us that this is not real frequent.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom