Join Early Retirement Today
Mom just heard she has breast cancer
Old 11-15-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Mom just heard she has breast cancer

My 74-year-old Mom just got the results today. Will find out Monday what it type it is and what it will entail.

My question: Is 1 year considered "early detection" (she gets annual mammograms)?

gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Sorry, gindie, about your mom's bad news. Hopefully she'll be one of many for whom good, effective treatment is available. Still, it's pretty scarey and upsetting, I know.

Mammograms may be about the best we have in general use, but they are far from perfect. Not only do they miss some cancers, but they identify far to many benign lesions which leads to surgery, anxiety and occasional complications. MRI is more sensitive but unveils even more false positive wild goose chases.

Best wishes for your mom's recovery.

San Francisco Area
ESR'd March 2010. FIRE'd January 2011.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:17 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I'm so sorry this has happened to your mom.

I do not have the answer to your question, but I have found a wonderful I have been reading it for a few months now. There is a forum on this website with many subject lines and issues. I do not have breast cancer, but have had two friends diagnosed this year and I wanted to be more knowledgeable.

My best to you and mom.
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
I have no answer to your question but I wanted to let you know how sorry I am to hear about your mom.
Twinkle Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado
hi gindie-
I don't post much but just love to tell the story of my MIL, who was diagnosed with BC at 97.
Yes, 97. She was in a nursing home, but was treated (lumpectomy and radiation) and went on to live 6 more years, without return of her cancer.
Just think it gives a perspective about how many years can still be left at 74...if she's in otherwise good health and fit, it can really make a difference in how she tolerates the treatment.
best of luck,
kitty_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:21 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I was recently diagnosed myself with a different cancer, and have learned alot in a short time. The amazing thing is how much medicine has accomplished in a short time. Breast cancer is now one of the most treatable cancers, with survival rates approaching 90%. There is so much that can be done!

Keep in mind that early detection is most important, and assuming nothing was detected last year, she may have only developed this over the past few months.

Certainly all the best for your Mom, but keep in mind that there are something like 8 million survivors in this country and most of us are doing just fine as she most likely will too!
firewhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:18 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am sorry to hear about your mom, but as others have said, there is a good chance that all will be well. We are here, and hoping for the best outcome.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:07 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I have to admit that my Mom had breast cancer at 47 and then died of a recurrence at 57. MIL has been diagnosed with lung cancer but she is 91 and counting. It is never easy...

Just make the best of the time remaining and, with any luck, you will have another decade or so. Good luck.
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:27 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
My sister had breat cancer at 34, was "cured at 39, and it reappeared at age 40. She died last year, 2 months shy of her 46th birthday.

FWIW, older women do better than younger ones with breast cancer..........

Best wishes.............

Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote