Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

More Health Care Billing Nonsense
Old 10-30-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

More Health Care Billing Nonsense

DW had ankle replacement years ago and the final cost to us and our health care insurance provider was about 10% of the claim the hospital submitted, IOW they billed at 10 times final cost. That’s outrageous, inexcusable IMO. What other business gets away with that? And IME its impossible to get any idea what costs will be in advance.

But I’ve just seen a worse case while my sister and I wade through claims from my Dad’s recent health care events, this one is settled:

First two weeks in the hospital they submitted a total claim of $108,549. Medicare paid $3836.67. Tricare $1340. Patient $0. So the hospital billed for 21 times what they settled on with no resistance. Ridiculous.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2018, 05:14 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

That's the way it always has been. Hospital billing makes used car salesmen look like saints.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:43 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had an MRI done. The bill was $5966. The allowed amount was $248. The discount was $5718. Insurance paid nothing. I will pay the $248.

Crazy!
Old 10-30-2018, 05:50 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
DW had ankle replacement years ago and the final cost to us and our health care insurance provider was about 10% of the claim the hospital submitted, IOW they billed at 10 times final cost. That’s outrageous, inexcusable IMO. What other business gets away with that? And IME its impossible to get any idea what costs will be in advance.

But I’ve just seen a worse case while my sister and I wade through claims from my Dad’s recent health care events, this one is settled:

First two weeks in the hospital they submitted a total claim of $108,549. Medicare paid $3836.67. Tricare $1340. Patient $0. So the hospital billed for 21 times what they settled on with no resistance. Ridiculous.
Yes - billing is at least 10x if not more, and insurance makes a 90%+ discount.

It's been that way for a very long time.

Totally nuts.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:56 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

21X is the most ridiculous case I can recall. If anyone pays the claim amount, obviously they’re being ripped off, should be criminal IMO. Again, I can’t think of any other industry where discrepancies of that magnitude would be possible, or where price transparency would be so elusive.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:57 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I had an MRI done. The bill was $5966. The allowed amount was $248. The discount was $5718. Insurance paid nothing. I will pay the $248.

Crazy!
I have had several CAT scans but not MRI. Is an MRI really that inexpensive?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:02 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

One of our health providers billed us $200 in error. They were charging us a "new patient" fee when in reality they took over our previous provider (absorbed his practice into their group) and they and our insurance agreed we should not be charged that.

However, over a year later we get a bill every other month for that charge. We have contacted them every time, they insist it should not be happening, we fax them what we received, they say "okay - we'll fix it". But it has yet to be fixed.

Our concern is that the last couple of bills were marked OVERDUE... and that if not cleared it their system will send it off to a collection agency, creating even more problems for us.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:06 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have had several CAT scans but not MRI. Is an MRI really that inexpensive?
That sounds pretty low - they got a major discount. I remember paying more like ~$1200 in 2010. I’d expect them to be at least $800.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:19 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'd love to see a law that for any service that a medical provider provides that they can't charge any more than 200% of the negotiated rate for that service with their largest insurer.... or something like that to bring some reasonableness into the whole process.

And to allow for them to price gouge the occasional rich shiekh that might wantder in, say that it only applies to services provided to US citizens and residents.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:00 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't be surprised to see that claim resubmitted by the hospital, maybe some billing codes errors or something.

A payment of a little over 5K for two weeks in the hospital seems low. There has to be something else in play. My DH has an 8 day hospital stay for a complicated heart procedure and Medicare paid over 60K to the hospital as well as additional payments to the surgeon , and other medical professionals..
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'd love to see a law that for any service that a medical provider provides that they can't charge any more than 200% of the negotiated rate for that service with their largest insurer.... or something like that to bring some reasonableness into the whole process.
Actually, there is a law like that. I forget the particulars but if you don’t have insurance, providers can only charge you something (forget the percentage) based on the Medicare payment.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:17 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Actually, there is a law like that. I forget the particulars but if you don’t have insurance, providers can only charge you something (forget the percentage) based on the Medicare payment.
That’s interesting! I never heard of that.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:24 PM   #13
gone traveling

Why I like Kaiser.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:41 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That’s interesting! I never heard of that.
Me neither. I'll be keen to learn the details.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Me neither. I'll be keen to learn the details.
I looked into this a bit and it may be a state by state situation. Here’s a link to the Illinois law for example.

https://www.team-iha.org/finance/cha...t-discount-act

It's been awhile, and I worked in commercial insurance, so this did not impact my contracts, but around 2010, people began to realize that the people who pay hospital charges were the uninsured and usually those people were struggling financially. They were also the people being driven to bankruptcy from medical bills. Many states and most hospitals instituted laws and policies to protect against this issue.

The IRS also got involved and put pressure on non-profit hospitals to support that they were providing a social benefit as part of their tax exempt status. Most of them implemented uninsured discount policies at that time.

Bottom line, if you’re uninsured, never pay a hospital their full charges.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:16 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
21X is the most ridiculous case I can recall. If anyone pays the claim amount, obviously they’re being ripped off, should be criminal IMO. Again, I can’t think of any other industry where discrepancies of that magnitude would be possible, or where price transparency would be so elusive.
The hospital and the insurer know the billed amount is BS, but the real fraud in all of this is that if you don't have insurance, the hospital will try to make you pay their 21x BS charge!

There should be a law that every healthcare provider is free to set whatever charge they want for services they provide, but once that amount is set, it is set for everyone, insured or not, with no discounting. And it must be published for all to see. That is the only way that a system that relies on users making wise choices can work. The prices must be visible and not hidden behind secret deals with insurance companies.
TwoByFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:20 AM   #17

All this . . . and some here complain about the price of financial advice which, unlike healthcare, is 100% optional for everybody . . . doesn't make much sense.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:27 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

It is insane.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:36 AM   #19

Where would insurance companies be if hospitals charged wholesale prices equally to everyone. Why would you need insurance companies? I'm not a conspiracy theorist but it seems hospitals and HI companies cooked up this plan a long time ago, forcing people to buy HI, win/win for hospitals and HI co. People pay premiums to HI co. while hospitals invent rates based on their whim! It's obvious because a hospital 5 miles away charges very different prices for exact same procedure. WTF, why aren't we screaming about this?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
One of our health providers billed us $200 in error. They were charging us a "new patient" fee when in reality they took over our previous provider (absorbed his practice into their group) and they and our insurance agreed we should not be charged that.

However, over a year later we get a bill every other month for that charge. We have contacted them every time, they insist it should not be happening, we fax them what we received, they say "okay - we'll fix it". But it has yet to be fixed.

Our concern is that the last couple of bills were marked OVERDUE... and that if not cleared it their system will send it off to a collection agency, creating even more problems for us.
I had the same problem when my late wife was taken to the hospital. There was a contest with the hospital, the insurance company and my provider. It took months to straighten it out.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote