Morton's Toe anyone?

O2Bfree

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just learned that my second toe being longer than my big toe is a foot condition called Morton's Toe, and can cause joint problems in the feet and elsewhere. So far, my feet seem ok, though I did have heel spurs back in my late 20s. I've also tended to have sore knees, which made me decide to give up running back in my 40s. I'm currently 53.

On a postive note, a foot with Morton's Toe foot considered aesthetically superior to the "Egyptian foot", where the second toe is shorter than the big toe. Classical statues have Morton's Toe, and our Lady Liberty has it, too. Gee, maybe I should start painting my toenails to show off what might be my most attractive asset! :LOL:

Does anyone else have this condition, and is it causing you trouble as you get older? I'm wondering if I should take some preemptive action by getting orthotics.

I think it may be hereditary. Everyone in my family has it, and so do I. I haven't ever heard of it being any kind of problem at all.

In fact, I think my foot fits into shoes better because the toe end of shoes is usually rounded, instead of triangular.

MY DH and 2 daughters have this toe shape, I don' call it Morton's toe, I laugh and say it's proof of paternity.

It's so common that I would hesitate to call it a "condition." For most people it seems to cause no problem.

Some runners I know put a little pad of moleskin (I think Dr. Scholls sells one specifically for this) in their shoes under the ball of their foot and believe it helps any discomfort they would otherwise feel.

It is inherited. And very common. I remember learning this in 8th grade science class with Mrs. Dunkl.

Everyone in my family has it - as does DH's family. I think it's like 30% of the population has it.

Other interesting hereditary conditions (thank you Mrs. Dunkl) - mid-digital hair: that's whether you grow hair on your middle section of your fingers (not the tip, not the base - the middle part of your fingers.). Also the ability to curl your tongue. Whether your earlobes are detached or attached.

My right foot has it. In recent years I've gotten a callus on the end of the second toe, probably because of running. It's not uncomfortable though. My shoes offer plenty of room because my left foot is the longer one but the toe on the right foot probably hits the shoe on the downhills.

I just had a physical and asked the doc about it. He suggested (1) slightly larger shoes, and (2) a pumice stone to work with the callus, (3) experiment with lacing the lower part of the shoe a little tighter.

Perhaps we could start an exclusive club for Morton's Toe folks. :)

My right foot has it. In recent years I've gotten a callus on the end of the second toe, probably because of running.

Same here, even since I quit running. I occasionally sand them down, but they always come back of course.

Last edited:
This describes my feet - and even more so since I had surgery on my big toes and they were shortened by a touch. I now suffer from extreme runner's toe on my right foot second toe and less so on the left foot.

I have it but don't appear to have any adverse conditions -- EXCEPT my big toes wear holes in all of my sneakers/tennis shoes because I have to buy my shoes longer to accommodate the length of the second toe. Consequently the added 'double' thickness designed into the shoes does me no good.

I like eating at Morton's especially when it was on the company's dime.

Oh, sorry I didn't read the first post.

It's so common that I would hesitate to call it a "condition." For most people it seems to cause no problem.

Some runners I know put a little pad of moleskin (I think Dr. Scholls sells one specifically for this) in their shoes under the ball of their foot and believe it helps any discomfort they would otherwise feel.

My sister does this for Morton's neuroma but that's different than Morton's toe.

I just learned that my second toe being longer than my big toe is a foot condition called Morton's Toe, and can cause joint problems in the feet and elsewhere. So far, my feet seem ok, though I did have heel spurs back in my late 20s. I've also tended to have sore knees, which made me decide to give up running back in my 40s. I'm currently 53.

On a postive note, a foot with Morton's Toe foot considered aesthetically superior to the "Egyptian foot", where the second toe is shorter than the big toe. Classical statues have Morton's Toe, and our Lady Liberty has it, too. Gee, maybe I should start painting my toenails to show off what might be my most attractive asset! :LOL:

Does anyone else have this condition, and is it causing you trouble as you get older? I'm wondering if I should take some preemptive action by getting orthotics.

Morton toe is a serious condition, I know as I have it.

One of the symptoms is extreme attraction of the opposite sex when you walk around bare foot. For the sake of society norms, please always wear shoes or socks when out in public. :dance:

Just saw this thread and I have Morton's Toe on both feet. And, no, it's not because my last name is Morton - that would then be Morton's toes :greetings10:.

someone once told me it was a sign of being head strong
i have 2 and my dw agrees with that assessment.

Back
Top Bottom