Join Early Retirement Today

Morton's Toe anyone?
Old 10-13-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Morton's Toe anyone?

I just learned that my second toe being longer than my big toe is a foot condition called Morton's Toe, and can cause joint problems in the feet and elsewhere. So far, my feet seem ok, though I did have heel spurs back in my late 20s. I've also tended to have sore knees, which made me decide to give up running back in my 40s. I'm currently 53.

On a postive note, a foot with Morton's Toe foot considered aesthetically superior to the "Egyptian foot", where the second toe is shorter than the big toe. Classical statues have Morton's Toe, and our Lady Liberty has it, too. Gee, maybe I should start painting my toenails to show off what might be my most attractive asset!

Does anyone else have this condition, and is it causing you trouble as you get older? I'm wondering if I should take some preemptive action by getting orthotics.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I think it may be hereditary. Everyone in my family has it, and so do I. I haven't ever heard of it being any kind of problem at all.

In fact, I think my foot fits into shoes better because the toe end of shoes is usually rounded, instead of triangular.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

MY DH and 2 daughters have this toe shape, I don' call it Morton's toe, I laugh and say it's proof of paternity.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:41 AM   #4

It's so common that I would hesitate to call it a "condition." For most people it seems to cause no problem.

Some runners I know put a little pad of moleskin (I think Dr. Scholls sells one specifically for this) in their shoes under the ball of their foot and believe it helps any discomfort they would otherwise feel.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #5

It is inherited. And very common. I remember learning this in 8th grade science class with Mrs. Dunkl.

Everyone in my family has it - as does DH's family. I think it's like 30% of the population has it.

Other interesting hereditary conditions (thank you Mrs. Dunkl) - mid-digital hair: that's whether you grow hair on your middle section of your fingers (not the tip, not the base - the middle part of your fingers.). Also the ability to curl your tongue. Whether your earlobes are detached or attached.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:23 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

My right foot has it. In recent years I've gotten a callus on the end of the second toe, probably because of running. It's not uncomfortable though. My shoes offer plenty of room because my left foot is the longer one but the toe on the right foot probably hits the shoe on the downhills.

I just had a physical and asked the doc about it. He suggested (1) slightly larger shoes, and (2) a pumice stone to work with the callus, (3) experiment with lacing the lower part of the shoe a little tighter.

Perhaps we could start an exclusive club for Morton's Toe folks.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
My right foot has it. In recent years I've gotten a callus on the end of the second toe, probably because of running.
Same here, even since I quit running. I occasionally sand them down, but they always come back of course.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

This describes my feet - and even more so since I had surgery on my big toes and they were shortened by a touch. I now suffer from extreme runner's toe on my right foot second toe and less so on the left foot.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I have it but don't appear to have any adverse conditions -- EXCEPT my big toes wear holes in all of my sneakers/tennis shoes because I have to buy my shoes longer to accommodate the length of the second toe. Consequently the added 'double' thickness designed into the shoes does me no good.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #10

I like eating at Morton's especially when it was on the company's dime.

Oh, sorry I didn't read the first post.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
It's so common that I would hesitate to call it a "condition." For most people it seems to cause no problem.

Some runners I know put a little pad of moleskin (I think Dr. Scholls sells one specifically for this) in their shoes under the ball of their foot and believe it helps any discomfort they would otherwise feel.
My sister does this for Morton's neuroma but that's different than Morton's toe.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I like eating at Morton's especially when it was on the company's dime.
If you think the toe is good, you should try the finger!
Old 10-13-2015, 10:23 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
I just learned that my second toe being longer than my big toe is a foot condition called Morton's Toe, and can cause joint problems in the feet and elsewhere. So far, my feet seem ok, though I did have heel spurs back in my late 20s. I've also tended to have sore knees, which made me decide to give up running back in my 40s. I'm currently 53.

On a postive note, a foot with Morton's Toe foot considered aesthetically superior to the "Egyptian foot", where the second toe is shorter than the big toe. Classical statues have Morton's Toe, and our Lady Liberty has it, too. Gee, maybe I should start painting my toenails to show off what might be my most attractive asset!

Does anyone else have this condition, and is it causing you trouble as you get older? I'm wondering if I should take some preemptive action by getting orthotics.
Morton toe is a serious condition, I know as I have it.

One of the symptoms is extreme attraction of the opposite sex when you walk around bare foot. For the sake of society norms, please always wear shoes or socks when out in public.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:36 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Just saw this thread and I have Morton's Toe on both feet. And, no, it's not because my last name is Morton - that would then be Morton's toes .
Old 10-22-2015, 09:43 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

someone once told me it was a sign of being head strong
i have 2 and my dw agrees with that assessment.