Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
May well be, but NOT a solution as my ankles/legs can attest...
It would appear that the world's bug-to-human ratio is around 200,000,000 to 1. Total avoidance is impossible.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 02:26 PM   #22

As some of you have seen, my house is in the middle of an urban forest. Trees, trees, trees EVERYWHERE and a creek on the backside of the property. So, mosquitos are TERRIBLE here. Last year, I had a commercial company start spraying the yard, and it worked...it worked VERY well...but it was about $50 an application every 4 weeks. Well, that's a little pricey, so I looked at what they used, and the magic chemical is Bifen IT which you can buy and spray yourself. It takes about 5 gallons (mixed) to treat my 3/4 acre lot. I have to do it about every 4 weeks and it takes about 30 minutes to do. This stuff works better than ANYTHING I have tried.

Bifen IT | Bifenthrin 7.9%

Old 07-05-2016, 02:29 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
It would appear that the world's bug-to-human ratio is around 200,000,000 to 1. Total avoidance is impossible.
Understood, but undoubtedly we can do better than the "protection" bats offered, no matter how steadfastly you cling to the idea...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Understood, but undoubtedly we can do better than the "protection" bats offered, no matter how steadfastly you cling to the idea...
I'm not really 'clinging' to it, it's more that I personally don't care to sit around breathing in crap that's toxic to things that are often a lot more resilient than I am; à chacun son goût, I guess.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I'm a believer in bats, and have always had a couple of bat houses with numerous residents at houses I've owned. At our last house, based on the general environment we should have been deluged with mosquitos, but never had a single bite in nine years. I give the bats a good deal of the credit.

Beyond that, I've always relied on 100% DEET. I prefer the liquid or roll-on stick type but a spray is OK too. Another good option is to treat your clothing, especially socks and shirt cuffs, with pyrethrin. You don't want it on your skin, but treating clothing with it is effective.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:11 PM   #26

I can't stand anything with DEET. Picaridin (I think that's how you spell it) works fine for the wimpy mosquitos they have here in the south, and I don't even hate the scent and the feel of it. DEET makes me ill and feels like getting covered in Wesson.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:27 PM   #27

There's nothing you can do. However, at our lake house this year the mosquitoes have been almost non existent, a real shocker. Smoky fire, go out later, ie after 11PM, use Off with 30% Deet. Then scratch like hell.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:18 PM   #28
Administrator

In 17 years of living in this suburb, without using any mosquito repellant, I have never once been bitten by a mosquito. There may be several reasons for that:

1) My suburb is heavily fogged, frequently, for mosquitos.
2) I don't sit outside a whole lot in the heat of summer.
3) Maybe mosquitos just don't like me. I should review Dale Carnegie's advice.
4) Admins have to develop thick skins?

Retired in 2009 at age 61.

Mini-pension 13%, SS 20%, investments 67%.

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:23 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

We cover up. Remove any standing water. Use DEET if we go out birdwatching or whatever. DH who is out a lot treats his field clothes with permethrin.

If sitting out on the patio a rule is "don't step in the grass!" That seems to wake them up.

A patio fan also helps.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:39 PM   #30

About Mosquito Bites.
I honestly think that if you watch the short video on this website, and read the accompanying article, that you will never, ever forget it.
A microscopic view of how a mosquito bites. Not as simple as you might think.

What REALLY happens when a mosquito bites: Scientists capture how the parasite bites and sucks blood in a gruesome video | Daily Mail Online

Would be interested in your reaction... or maybe you already knew.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:43 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

You can buy clothing and blankets to protect you. Embedded, odorless and can be washed.
www.insectshield.com
Old 07-05-2016, 05:53 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

We have bats that live somewhere around the lake. Almost zero mosquitoes here in our yard but others in our neighborhood have tons (like you might get bit 10 times running from car to house).

If the bugs bother me, I'll put a light misting of DEET repellent on. Seems to work.

FYI in North Carolina.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:01 PM   #33

If you use DEET a minimum of 25% is needed to be effective.
Decades ago, when working in the bush we used liquid deet 95% It even kept the horse flys and deer flys off.
I'd have 20 deer flys buzzing around me within a foot but none landing to chew.

Fans work well as they cannot fly in a wind (or only sit out on breezy nights). Note that having hedges and things like that (solid fences) will block the wind and give them a place to shelter.

Those coil things and lemon candles and Avon Skin So Soft don't work regardless of what the shills say (in MHO).
Old 07-06-2016, 05:18 AM   #34

I remember using those smoldering green coil thingys at the drive-in movies back in the 60s. I don't remember how well they worked since smoldering was happening elsewhere and I wasn't paying much attention.

Cheers!
Old 07-06-2016, 06:28 AM   #35
Dryer sheet aficionado

I just tried clove oil. Seems to be effective, only tired it once so far. Just watch out after applying to avoid contact to eyes, it can burn. Supposed to be effective for two hours.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:47 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I spray with a DEET based product. I put it on my cloths when I mow the lawn instead of directly on my skin but that would be had to do in shorts in the evening by the fire. The main thing I want to share is what I do when I do get bit. I found a product called SssstingStop and have found it to work very well at easing the itch. You have to use it frequently like 4-6 times per day, but it does work (at least for me and my family).

Link - Ssssting Stop - $7.39
Old 07-15-2016, 12:09 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I spray with a DEET based product. I put it on my cloths when I mow the lawn instead of directly on my skin but that would be had to do in shorts in the evening by the fire. The main thing I want to share is what I do when I do get bit. I found a product called SssstingStop and have found it to work very well at easing the itch. You have to use it frequently like 4-6 times per day, but it does work (at least for me and my family).

Link - Ssssting Stop - $7.39
You might want to try permethrin sprayed on your clothes, it lasts a number of washings. It even stops ticks.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:24 AM   #38

I've used the coils with good effect, but your best bet is a Thermocell. Get the lantern type one or the personal sized one. They definitely work. A friend who is a surveyor swears by them, and convinced me on a camping trip where we were eaten alive if we set foot outside of the protected zone.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:37 AM   #39

My son, who was a severe asthmatic when he was a child, never got bitten by insects. We all assumed it was the theophylline he was prescribed to take.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:13 PM   #40

They zero in on CO2. Stop breathing?

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-...-detect-people

It really helps to remove standing water sources. Look around for neighbors who have massive infestation due to unattended pools. Local county here has a page where you complain about that, and they do come out.