Join Early Retirement Today

Mosquitos!!!
Old 07-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Mosquitos!!!

Spent a perfectly lovely evening around a firepit with three other couples, S'mores with wine & beer, over the weekend. Unfortunately when the sun went down, we were all mauled by mosquitos despite the fire and citronella candles (useless IME). I was the only one (dumb enough) wearing shorts - so I may have the worst of it. It was so bad I could not sleep the night after.

So are there any really effective treatments for yards? Or really effective bug sprays that we can spray ourselves with? We've used Off! and Skin So Soft, and they probably help but they're not 100% effective. I'm tired of serving as a food source for local mosquitos...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 10:50 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

You may want to get one of those high voltage bug zappers.

Lures them in with UV and HV grids zap em dead.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post

I don't think those work that great. I had one and it only zapped non-mosquitos. In Houston, the only thing that really worked was a CO2 inverter. That's why they like us, we exude CO2.

DragonFly II Mosquito Trap - Model DF5000 - Model - DF5000
Old 07-05-2016, 11:00 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post

Bonus, a zapper and a six pack is considered entertainment in many parts of the country.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

if you have standing water, like a bird feeder, the mosquito dunks work great
Old 07-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The only effective method I've ever seen is wind and altitude.

Works even better with other methods like DEET obviously.

Altitude to clarify: I'm not talking about going to the mountains, but sitting outside in a multi-story building. At fourth floor and higher typically the number of mosquitoes drops off drastically.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:07 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
So are there any really effective treatments for yards? Or really effective bug sprays that we can spray ourselves with? We've used Off! and Skin So Soft, and they probably help but they're not 100% effective. I'm tired of serving as a food source for local mosquitos...
Citronella doesn't work, and yard treatments might last for an afternoon, but not much more. The most effective non-deet repellent is this Repel® Plant-Based Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent2 (Pump Spray), I carry some with me just about everywhere. Not toxic, but it does have an aroma.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:08 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Put up a bat house, and then sit and watch the bats earn their keep.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:11 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Google bug buttons. I going to get some and test them out this week. They passed these out to people attending a cookout last year and several people said they really helped but I'm skeptical.
https://www.amazon.com/Evergreen-Res...rds=bug+button
Old 07-05-2016, 12:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I don't think those work that great. I had one and it only zapped non-mosquitos.
I like the bug zappers. I do not want non-mosquitoes around me either. It works day and night. Every night. Even when I am not outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I have an active bat house. I never thought bats would move in when I put it up, but they did. There are still mosquitoes.

You can use citronella, but a Thermocell works great. I used one bear hunting up in Canada, and no mosquitoes.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

You can use citronella, but a Thermocell works great. I used one bear hunting up in Canada, and no mosquitoes.
+1 DW historically functioned as my personal mosquito deterrent, since they love her. The Thermocell has been amazing for her.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:54 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I can smell the yards that have put up the anti-mosquito misting systems when I go out walking the dog. Presently, I'm against those systems because they would be harmful to all flying insects including fireflies, dragonflies, butterflies, bees, etc.

The mosquito dunks do not work instantly and do not affect adult mosquitoes at all. We do use them though. The bacteria in them will also kill other insect larva, too, but hopefully you keep the dunks in limited puddles.

Some mosquitos like to lay eggs in small puddles found in tree trunks, notches, etc. You are not going to get those places treated.

When I go outside to work in the yard, I wear long jeans, a long-sleeve shirt, socks, and a wide-brimmed hat. I do have mosquito-netting to go over the hat, but have only used it when camping up north during black-fly season.

Some folks have said putting a dryer sheet under their hat works. That seems appropriate for this forum. I have been with people who did that and they said it worked, but that was on a night that I didn't get bit by mosquitoes anyways.

Otherwise, cover up your skin, put DEET on your exposed skin and treat actual bites with anti-itch cream.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I also wonder if having carbonated beverages increases the amount of carbon dioxide in one's immediate vicinity. I would think putting a chunk of dry ice (solid carbon dioxide available from your grocery store) out in the yard somewhere would confuse mosquitoes or at least compete with your own CO2 from exhaling.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I have an active bat house. I never thought bats would move in when I put it up, but they did. There are still mosquitoes.
Oh, did I mention getting non-union bats?

Old 07-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I also wonder if having carbonated beverages increases the amount of carbon dioxide in one's immediate vicinity. I would think putting a chunk of dry ice (solid carbon dioxide available from your grocery store) out in the yard somewhere would confuse mosquitoes or at least compete with your own CO2 from exhaling.
some of it is definitely body chemistry - DW always gets munched on when I don't - could be diet related?
Old 07-05-2016, 01:32 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was going to say invite me to go with you, and I can guarantee the bugs would spend all their time biting me!
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:41 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We noted lots of bats flying around us that night, sure didn't prevent mosquitos that we could tell...

Old 07-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We noted lots of bats flying around us that night, sure didn't prevent mosquitos that we could tell...
There might have been a whole lot more without them:

Control Insects By Bolstering Your Bat Habitat - Nature and Environment - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

Quote:
Many bats, and almost all in the United States, thrive on an insect diet. A single bat can eat up to 1,200 mosquito-sized insects every hour, and each bat usually eats 6,000 to 8,000 insects each night.Their appetite for mosquitoes certainly makes a backyard more comfortable. Bats are opportunistic, and their lack of discretion benefits everyone. Some of their favorite prey include crop-destroying moths, cucumber beetles, flies and gnats. Natural insect control is their specialty.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
May well be, but NOT a solution as my ankles/legs can attest...

Old 07-05-2016, 02:04 PM   #20
gone traveling

I play softball in shorts and normally get eaten alive by mosquitoes in the outfield grass, but since using Coleman Insect Repellant with 40% Deet, I haven't had a single bite.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote