Join Early Retirement Today

Mountain Dew
Old 01-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #1

Mountain Dew

An unusual news item.
Quote:
An attempt to win a small court battle this week has put Mountain Dew in peril of losing a much larger war. PepsiCo, the soft drink's parent company, defended itself against a man who claimed he found a dead mouse in a can of the citrus soda. Experts called in by PepsiCo's lawyers offered a stomach-churning explanation for why it couldn't be true: the Mountain Dew would have dissolved the mouse, turning it into a "jelly-like substance," had it been in the can of fluid from the time of its bottling until the day the plaintiff opened it, 15 months later.
Can Mountain Dew Really Dissolve a Mouse Carcass?: Scientific American

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Depends on the formulation...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can follow an experiment to solve the question once and for all.

Does a mouse liquify in Mt Dew
Old 01-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I saw a program on tv last year or before, may have been 60 Minutes, about an Appalachian town where Mountain Dew was drunk like water. Health effects were bad, particularly dental health. Rotten teeth were epidemic. Even knowing this the people could not, or would not, stop drinking the stuff. It has a very high level of caffeine apparently, so it gave a boost that they needed.
As to the rodent, maybe it was hooked on it too.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

According to this site (unverified info), Mountain Dew has 55 mg of caffeine per 12 oz, while Pepsi and Coke have about 34-37 mg. An 8 oz cup of drip coffee has 15-175 mg.

I'm sure the sugar in soft drinks is very hard on the teeth of "hooked" customers, but the acidity is also a big factor. From an MSNBC article:

Quote:
According to Ren, Mountain Dew contains citric acid, a substance naturally found in citrus fruits that exists as a powder in its purified, industrialized form. Most citrus sodas mix in the stuff to give drinks their tangy bite, while most colas, such as Coca Cola and Pepsi, incorporate phosphoric acid for the same effect. Consequently, these drinks have a low pH value around 3 (very acidic). Coca Cola, with its dark coloring and non-fruity flavor, may be the soft drink most often compared to battery acid, but in 2004, a well-known study led by dentist J. Anthony von Fraunhofer found that citrus sodas like Mountain Dew and Sprite erode tooth enamel around six times faster than colas. [ How Long Do Mafia Victims Take to Dissolve In Acid?]
Old 01-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I would expect the experiment will demonstrate that Mountain Dew dissolves the mouse into goo over time. Mild carbonic acid should do the trick. That alone would not turn me off to Mountain Dew.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I would expect the experiment will demonstrate that Mountain Dew dissolves the mouse into goo over time. Mild carbonic acid should do the trick. That alone would not turn me off to Mountain Dew.
Of course not. A few dissolved mice should make it more nutritious.

Ha
Old 01-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Of course not. A few dissolved mice should make it more nutritious.

Ha

Sort of like a protein drink?

omni
Old 01-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

As for the plantiff, I smell a rat
Old 01-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I swear. my BIL LIVES on Mountain Dew. Once, I bought him a botle of Diet Dew, and he simply stated: "What kind of cruel joke was that"?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
According to this site (unverified info), Mountain Dew has 55 mg of caffeine per 12 oz, while Pepsi and Coke have about 34-37 mg. An 8 oz cup of drip coffee has 15-175 mg.

I'm sure the sugar in soft drinks is very hard on the teeth of "hooked" customers, but the acidity is also a big factor. From an MSNBC article:
I didnt realize a soft drink could have potentially more caffeine in it than my morning Joe. I need to check that out to make sure, I am getting my money's worth. Never liked mountain dew, as it is to sweet for me. But I drink a pepsi or dr. pepper 10 everyday. Not too worried about digesting the acid in soft drinks, as I am sure the acidic juices in my stomach could dissolve a mouse, too!
Old 01-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
the Mountain Dew would have dissolved the mouse, turning it into a "jelly-like substance,"
MMM...jellied rodent

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I can imagine the MythBusters doing this one!
Old 01-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I once heard that Mountain Dew was was great for cleaning battery posts in a car. Or was that Coca-Cola?
Old 01-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
Administrator

People marvel at this sort of thing, and then bring home vast quantities of sodas from the grocery store and drink with abandon.

I'm as bad as the rest, even though I don't buy Mountain Dew, Coke, or any similar beverage at the grocery store. I order a Diet Coke at lunch frequently. I need to stop doing that!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I once visited Apple technical support folks in Cupertino CA (yes, I have driven around Infinity Loop). Up in the cubicle room where a bunch of tech support people worked, the ceiling was strung with chains of hundreds of Mountain Dew cans. Apparently this was a local Apple tradition. I think they were mainly into the caffeine.

No "pop" soda drinking here. But I do enjoy sparkling water now and then.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

When I was young we had a wringer washer that was broken. The repairman poured Coke in the tub. It dissolved all the gunk and the washer worked fine from then on. Never forgot that, but still drink some kind of cola about every day.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I'm not defending Mountain Dew, but if you put a dead rodent in a glass of water and left it for 15 months, it probably wouldn't look too pretty.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm not defending Mountain Dew, but if you put a dead rodent in a glass of water and left it for 15 months, it probably wouldn't look too pretty.
But, would it be jellied?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote