Moving?

laurel25

Confused about dryer sheets
I've dealt with a whole series of health problems in my life-- back pain, high blood pressure, angina-- and I'm worried I'm not going to be insurable on the individual market once my COBRA runs out a year from now. Anyone here ever actually MOVED to a state like New York, Vermont, or Maine (where they can't deny you coverage for prior conditions) just for the insurance? I've still got 15 years to go before Medicare and I'm thinking of doing it, but feeling a little crazy pondering such a dramatic life change!
L

Go right over the state line to New Mexico.
The state risk pool is very reasonable there.

NY has a state funded program called Healthy NY.
Premiums are low if you qualify.

Otherwise guarantee issue states generally have rates.

I've thought about New Mexico-- do people actually do this kind of thing though? Would they need to see evidence I'd lived there awhile or anything?

(Sorry, I'm just starting this research process.)

From what I understand NM will take you on the first of the following month. You can be there one day and be eligible.

If you have a medical issue that causes you to be turned down by an insurance company in the open market at any time the state risk pool will take you.

If you choose to take cobra, when it ends you are Hippa eligible and that qualifies you for the risk pool.

Do people move to do this? maybe.
I guess it depends on the lifestyle change vs. the cost of the health care.

You should be trying to get insured now and not wait until your COBRA runs out. I assume you are educating yourself on how to apply in the private market? [make sure you have done your homework before applying] You are probably a good candidate for a broker who could help you. They can even sometimes "apply" for you anonymously to see if you will get rejected or not and thus you can avoid a rejection on your MIB record.

This process will give you more information on whether you should move and the costs and benefits. It sounds like you are only considering the move for health insurance coverage reasons but you don't really have good information on how you would do in the private market where you are at.

Kramer

Back
Top Bottom