Moving snow

I don't worry about my heart while shoveling snow... but my back, that's a problem. Last time I shoveled snow, a couple of years ago, halfway through I picked up a shovelfull and within 5 seconds was flat on my back from the back pain. I crawled back in the house, rested for a week, and haven't shoveled snow or anything else since. I have a history of a bad back, and realize there are good and bad ways of lifting, with the knees instead of the back, etc. But snow shoveling is particularly difficult to do do that with, the natural motion is one of using the back instead of the knees as one throws the snow.

No science to suppor this (I doubt it is knowable) but if you anticipate snow-throwing type activity (even digging trenches would be similar), you should include both interval training (with some high intensity) and upper body multi-rep training as part of the plan. I think you're on the right track.

Thanks Rich. :)

Ha

While I'm probably a candidate for suffering the "big one" while moving snow, my real worry is my left knee. A lifelong problem, it required surgery after I injured it going down a river bank (North Fork River, Arkansas) carrying two fly rods and helping DW.

Now, seven years post surgery, it's extremely sensitive to being bent forward, as in when my left foot slips and moves ahead of the rest of me.

Winter before last, while running the snow blower down our sloped driveway, my left foot slipped ahead, god-awful pain hit my left knee, and down I went. The pain from my knee was so terrific I didn't even feel myself hit the icey asphalt. I'm laying there gasping and wondering what to do next when I noticed the racket from the snow blower was getting louder. You guessed it......... that frickin' thing had swiveled around and was coming back at me! Yeah, I managed to roll out of the way. But, in those 2 or 3 seconds it took, I contemplated all the crazy, dangerous things I've done in my life and how dieing by snowblower in my driveway was going to be a pathetic way to go...... And only months before RE!

Bought my son a new Toro snowblower Saturday and dropped it off a few hours ago. Unlike my old beast, it has a safety lever you have to keep engaged for the blades and auger to turn. If you let go, it stops. Normally, I'd consider this kind of OHSA crap unneeded and just another thing to break. Not now. Looked like a pretty good feature to me!

Be careful Martha! ;)

Wow, what a story. From long time observation of friends, their parents, church members etc I have come to believe that a suburban or rural lifestyle that involves upkeep and maintenance should have an actuarially determined price added to it. There are many dangers, and many people are injured doing these routine chores. Permanently injured too often.

As an example a chain saw is a hard to use tool that is treacherous in the hands of a professional, let alone a homeowner. Then there are ladders, roofs, tree trimming, etc., etc.

I am happy to bid all that stuff adieu.

Ha

I am happy to bid all that stuff adieu.

And I'm following right along behind you....... ;)

Among the things I no longer can/will do:

Climb towers to do antenna work (to support ham radio hobby).
Work under my car while it's on jack stands or even ramps.
Do strenous work alone (tough on DW who has to hang around watching).
Swim long distances alone.
Run rapids.
Etc.

And this may be the last year for moving snow myself........ Probably shouldn't even do it this year, but since I already tuned up the snow blower.......

Cold Snow Heavy weight of the snow being well out of shape, As Rich said would you run a mile in 20 degrees if you have not done it most of your life? Its a risk. GO SLOW!

I always loved snow shoveling, but alas I am away from the snow, except for the odd snows in NC. But hey it never even rains here anymore!!

that frickin' thing had swiveled around and was coming back at me! Yeah, I managed to roll out of the way. But, in those 2 or 3 seconds it took, I contemplated all the crazy, dangerous things I've done in my life and how dieing by snowblower in my driveway was going to be a pathetic way to go..

Youbet, what a story!

The snow has stopped. Bob did a beautiful job of snow blowing and I stuck to the shovel. I don't mind the shoveling at all, but I agree with Rich, snow blowers shouldn't weigh more and be bigger than you are.

Besides heart attacks ,winter is a great time for fractures especially wrist fractures .People routinelly put out their hand to stop their fall on a slippery road and fracture their wrist . It's also a big fractured hip time . Winter a real bonus for Cardiologists and Orthopods !

If you have sticky snow, spray your shovel with Pam or some other cooking spray. At least you won't have to lift the same snow twice. Also works great on the bottom of your sled or toboggan.

Winter before last, while running the snow blower down our sloped driveway, my left foot slipped ahead, god-awful pain hit my left knee, and down I went. The pain from my knee was so terrific I didn't even feel myself hit the icey asphalt. I'm laying there gasping and wondering what to do next when I noticed the racket from the snow blower was getting louder. You guessed it......... that frickin' thing had swiveled around and was coming back at me! Yeah, I managed to roll out of the way. But, in those 2 or 3 seconds it took, I contemplated all the crazy, dangerous things I've done in my life and how dieing by snowblower in my driveway was going to be a pathetic way to go...... And only months before RE! ;)

Was that evil snowblower's name Christine?

I don't care! I admit it! I am DONE blowing snow. He is out there right now. He is much faster at this than I am and he uses good ergonomics.

How much snow did you get? We got 5 inches, and the plow made it 18 inches at the end of the driveway.................:p

Oh well think positive - my old stomping grounds in SW Washington are underwater - the I-5 closure made the news out here.

Only have one relative(Aunt) on the hill in Kalama overlooking a dry? part of the freeway.

I take snow to sandbags anyday - I remember late one Christmas Eve home from college - sandbagging the Coweeman River in the freezing rain.

:D when you are ER'd you get to shovel on your time - not the snow's time.

heh heh heh

I have one of these with a plow attachment.

Mike D.

Attachments

• bobcat632.jpg
    bobcat632.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 85
3 or 4 inches on the ground here. I checked the weather forecast, and it will melt before I need to go anywhere further than the mailbox.

Besides heart attacks ,winter is a great time for fractures especially wrist fractures .People routinelly put out their hand to stop their fall on a slippery road and fracture their wrist . It's also a big fractured hip time . Winter a real bonus for Cardiologists and Orthopods !
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/martha-checking-vacation-15970.html#post294957

Maybe I should take Kumquat's hint.

FinanceDude, we got maybe 10-12 inches from this storm and the same a couple of days before, from the prior storm. A fair amount was lake effect because my sister on the Wisconsin side got about what you got.

Among the things I no longer can/will do:

Climb towers to do antenna work (to support ham radio hobby).

Me either! Both my Dad and Mom were hams ....Dad is passed away, but Mom just renewed her license. When my Dad started getting older, I was nominated to do the tower climbs. Fortunately we replaced the old scary tower with a nice new Rohn, with not only a hinged base, but also a hinge mid-way up....with a counterbalance! That made things nice! After a few years Mom sold and/or gave away most all of the ham gear, except for a 2-meter fm rig.....and we gave the Rohn to a family friend. No tower to bother with anymore.....only a chimney mount 'ringo-ranger' on a nearly flat roof.

If you have sticky snow, spray your shovel with Pam or some other cooking spray.

I also use WD40 or silicone spray.

How much snow did you get?

We got about 1".....and it's mostly melted off of the concrete and blacktop surfaces now.

I take snow to sandbags anyday

I used to help sandbag our local HS, until they finally put in a GIANT dike. I certainly don't miss those looooong cold, rainy [-]days[/-] nights! :p

I also used to help sandbag a low lying area here in town, and also another tiny community about 5 mile north of here. But after TWO "one hundred year floods" in ONE year, there's nothing left there to sandbag......they had a gov't buy-out! It's open park land now.

:D when you are ER'd you get to shovel on your time - not the snow's time.

You got that right! No more 5am shoveling sprees in the early morning darkness for me. I went out about 9 this morning and played in the white stuff....in the bright sunshine!

Add me to the list of people who don't worry about snowblowers. 65 degrees out and everyone has turtlenecks AND quilted jackets.

t, in those 2 or 3 seconds it took, I contemplated all the crazy, dangerous things I've done in my life and how dieing by snowblower in my driveway was going to be a pathetic way to go...... And only months before RE!

;)

You were lucky ! I've seen some pretty bad injuries from snow blowers and lawn mowers .Lots of people put their hand into them to see why they are not working .Not too smart !

snowshoes?

sorry, Martha. I feel (well, felt) your pain. It was a big problem for us in the city with a 2-car driveway and literally no physical place to put the shoveled snow.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments regarding "youbet's famous snowblower incident!"

I'm pleased to report that since posting that story, I've cleared the snow from both my and the neighbor's driveways twice with no injuries nor horror story-like experiences.

Winter in Chicago...... it either kills ya or makes you stronger!

Back
Top Bottom