Multi State Coverage and Pre Existing Conditions

v5200

Dryer sheet wannabe
Here's my dilemma: I am currently on an employer plan (not Cobra, since I still consult with my company), which is a HMO. I wanted to get a private policy via BCBS (the current insurer) to get access to a PPO policy for coverage outside of my "home base" state, since I spend time in two different states since ER. I was shocked to be declined by both BCBS and another insurer because of a pre-existing condition (not life threatening, and not actively in treatment). Otherwise I am very healthy, and this condition does not limit my activities in any way, nor am I on any medication for it.

I did find out about a "temporary traveler program" that would seem to allow me to also get access in a second state, while still keeping my current insurance. This seems like it could be a good solution, and I would keep my fingers crossed that health care reform actually stays afloat.

Does anyone have experience with a program like this from BCBS? Any words of wisdom?

Also, I'd love to hear any other thoughts on insurance coverage for people who spend time in multiple places, I assume a PPO is the only option?

What a shocker to become a first person participant in the great health care debate!

Most plans are state only and out of state coverage is considered out of network. What a limitation! We have a policy from UHC that offers national coverage. It costs a little bit more. There is no reason all the national insurers cannot offer one because they all have large national networks. Aetna probably has an option as well. I know one requirement of the PPACA is a national coverage plan option in each state insurance exchange.

Not heard of the temporary traveler program but it sounds interesting. Do you have a link? Is it BCBS?

Back
Top Bottom