Join Early Retirement Today
Multi State Coverage and Pre Existing Conditions
Old 05-06-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe
Multi State Coverage and Pre Existing Conditions

Here's my dilemma: I am currently on an employer plan (not Cobra, since I still consult with my company), which is a HMO. I wanted to get a private policy via BCBS (the current insurer) to get access to a PPO policy for coverage outside of my "home base" state, since I spend time in two different states since ER. I was shocked to be declined by both BCBS and another insurer because of a pre-existing condition (not life threatening, and not actively in treatment). Otherwise I am very healthy, and this condition does not limit my activities in any way, nor am I on any medication for it.

I did find out about a "temporary traveler program" that would seem to allow me to also get access in a second state, while still keeping my current insurance. This seems like it could be a good solution, and I would keep my fingers crossed that health care reform actually stays afloat.

Does anyone have experience with a program like this from BCBS? Any words of wisdom?

Also, I'd love to hear any other thoughts on insurance coverage for people who spend time in multiple places, I assume a PPO is the only option?

What a shocker to become a first person participant in the great health care debate!

v5200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2012, 05:22 AM   #2
Most plans are state only and out of state coverage is considered out of network. What a limitation! We have a policy from UHC that offers national coverage. It costs a little bit more. There is no reason all the national insurers cannot offer one because they all have large national networks. Aetna probably has an option as well. I know one requirement of the PPACA is a national coverage plan option in each state insurance exchange.

Not heard of the temporary traveler program but it sounds interesting. Do you have a link? Is it BCBS?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote