Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-09-2008, 12:59 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm looking forward to the day that congress passes a law that outlaws denying coverage based on a pre-existing condition. How is a person supposed to go through life completely healthy and never need any medical care that might trigger a pre-existing condition? I'm extemely healthy but had ONE episode of a bleeding ulcer 14 years ago which never re-occurred and yet I'm still turned down for coverage or at the very least stuck with a rider on my insurance policy not covering stomach ulcers. Our health care system is broken!!!!! (just venting...especially when I read about experiences mentioned similar to the one in this thread)
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
I'm looking forward to the day that congress passes a law that outlaws denying coverage based on a pre-existing condition.

Our health care system is broken!!!!! (just venting...especially when I read about experiences mentioned similar to the one in this thread)
I hear you, but the flip side of that is: the only way an insurance company can be in a position to *not* deny coverage based on a pre-existing condition, is if *everyone* is required to have insurance, and pay for it (or have the govt pay for it).

Imagine if you were in the business of offering hurricane insurance, and you were told that you had to accept coverage for people who wait for the hurricane warnings before buying insurance. And you have to charge them the same rate as everybody else. You would have to make hurricane insurance VERY expensive for *everybody*. Is that sustainable?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

If other countries can provide insurance for all citizens then I guess, yes, somehow, some way, everyone should be covered. Our leaders will eventually have to deal with how to do this. I feel that eventually it will be done.

On the other hand, if there was a way to force insurance companies to enlarge their risk pools there might be a way to keep the cost of insurance "reasonable" and include people with pre-existing conditions. Also, I feel that insurance companies should be run more like a utility company in that they should be guaranteed a fair profit, not an outrageous one...that might help keep the cost of insurance at a reasonable level. Health insurance should be something for the good of the public, not for the good of shareholders. I know many people would disagree with this view big time and I really don't care to argue about it...it's just a view I've come to as health care in the US has gotten too expensive for many people.
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
Yep, and to add to REW's post, it is my understanding that insurance companies will often issue the policy based solely upon your answers to the health questionnaire, without checking with your doctors, etc. This reduces their cost of processing your application. Then later, if you have a claim, they may do a more thorough background check. If they found you knowingly lied on your application, they can cancel your policy. If they determine it was an honest omission, they may just refuse to pay for claims associated with that particular "pre-existing" condition. So it's not like once they issue the policy you are home-free.

This is true, according to my health insurance agent, and her recommendation to me was to NOT apply to companies that do not request and look at your health records. You want everything laid out clearly on the table. Most reputable companies will request records. Some HMOs such as Kaiser Permanente do not.

Also, in response to DallasGuy, from reading different proposals I think that if we do end up with a universal health insurance system we may find that insurance will cost about the same, will be subsidized for low income people, but will cover pre-existing conditions. Medicare is going broke so that system has to be fixed, which means raising costs for all. With that fact in mind there's no way that a universal health insurance premimum can cost less for the individual than what they are paying now. That's my take on it. Still a universal health insurance system would be much better than what we've got now.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Still a universal health insurance system would be much better than what we've got now.
Anything could be better OR worse depending on the details. I'll reserve judgment until seeing the details.

"It couldn't be any worse" is a fairly dangerous philosophy, IMO, because it can always be worse potentially. Done properly it may be an improvement, but this is Congress we're talking about.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Like others have said.. You should have coverted to a Individual policy along time ago.. Group plan cost the aver of Twice as Much and even with a higher Deductable Individual policy, you'd be far better off..

Of course, it all depends on the state your in on how aggressive they are in forcing Insurance Compainies to take Pre-X people on coversions..from Cobra to Indem Plans..

Consult with a "Independent Agent" who brokers with All the Co.'s that are allowed to do business in your state..
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

"congress passes a law that outlaws denying coverage based on a pre-existing condition"

Well, It's not that simple..why?
1. Too many would wait until AFTER they get sick to get coverage, just like those who get Pregant and Then apply for maternity coverage...
2. Insurance Co.'s Are In Business to Make Money! Would you accept someone that has a Pre X costing you twice as much as you can charge?
3. States Formed State Plans for this Problem, but Many Insurance Co.'s used as a Dumping Ground many State Plans are closed for lack of enough funding for anymore New people..
4. A National Health care Plan? Sure, but Like in countries that have them? Expect yo pay Twice as much in taxes to have it? You think 7.5% of your pay check for Medicare is high? How about paying 15-20%? And Get a HMO type plan in return?
5. of the est. 45 million Uninsured? over 60% are Able to get Insurance but they don't want to pay for it , but can afford it...they rather have a New SUV, Cable TV and Cell phones and live the Good Life! and when they need it? Just Let their Neighbor pay for it!

Heck the Illegals and Poor have been doing it for yrs..
A hospital group in Texas just announced it will have to stop treating Illegals and Poor since it cannot afford to anymore ,a fter spending over $10 Million last yr doing so and Taking Funds away from Treating those that can and are willing to pay..US Citizens..

Ask your Kids if they would take a job with Group Health but it pays $5k less a yr or a job paying $5k more a Yr but no Insurance?

I think MEDICARE is the only way to go..It's already set up and making it a NHCP is common sense for every American Citizen that pays into it..It would be a mandatory porgram , since it is now.. Just only have to raise the Rates paying into it..

H. Clinton tried this, but the Insurance Lobby's Shut her down..Gee, I wonder why?
Ins. Co.'s would loose Hundreds of Billions in Profits..
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote