Join Early Retirement Today

My concierge Doctor experience
Old 03-13-2016, 05:32 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My concierge Doctor experience

I have seen my doctor for about 17 years and really like her. When she went concierge a year and a half ago, I decided to stay with her. I have a couple of medical conditions that have to be monitored and she's been very compassionate. It was $2000 annually for all visits and tests that she ordered.

I've been very happy with the arrangement, but as of March 30th, she will no longer offer medical care and is moving away. She sent my money back for the remainder of the year. I'm not sure if she didn't have enough patients or what happened. It's sort of awkward to ask.

So now I'm in search of a new doctor. She recommended a clinic that is further from my home and I don't want to use for various reasons. I'm surprised by how many doctors are not taking new patients. I think I've narrowed the search down to a couple of good ones to try. It's interesting to see they all have video diaries, so you can hear their philosophies and treatment ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2016, 05:44 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great thread. I keep threatening to myself that if care for us gets any worse, we'll go concierge. I tried going to a clinic for care and the doctor yelled at me for trying to use them more than for urgent care. I was flabbergasted; I paid and all I really wanted a note to stay home sick and a prescription if appropriate (it was a bad virus as I suspected, so I was just put on bed rest).

That was three years ago. I tried for a year to get started with a new doctor, but appointment times are usually 4-6 months out. This just sounds crazy to me. What good is a doctor if it takes 20 weeks to see her? I've seen a NP once since and she just nagged me about my drinking (two a day).

Anyway, if I get really sick again, I'll go back to a clinic. But I'd love to hear concierge care stories. I'm willing to be convinced to pay for a service if it really is useful.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:16 PM   #3

I would still be paying, if she weren't leaving. While she was concierge, she saw me for in depth visits 4x a year and then any other time I wanted to come in. One thing she did that I really appreciated was to run a gene test. I'm always worried about Alzheimers, because my mom had it. The gene test showed that I am am not genetically predisposed to getting it, thankfully. I can still get it, but chances are much lower than some of the other gene combinations. I'm sure a clinic doctor would tell me to just quit worrying about it and never agree to do that.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:57 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been a patient in a concierge practice in Boulder, CO for I think 5 years now. It costs $1,800 annually to be part of the practice, and then they submit insurance just like a regular doctor's office, so I still have my deductible and co-insurance to pay as well. For the first few years, I'd look real hard at renewing or not, but anymore, I wouldn't consider leaving. I almost always get in same day for anything urgent, and other appointments are usually within a couple days, or quicker if I'm willing to see any of the practitioners (fairly small practice, with 3 MDs and 1 PA). Basic appointments are scheduled for 30 mins., but if you have a lot to go over, they schedule an hour for you - and actually I've exceeded that many times with no issue.

The quality of care at this clinic is vastly superior to my previous experience. Rarely does anyone leave because they are treated so well, and it honestly feels like family. So I've had the same RN for 5 years (4-year CU Nursing Grad), and have only had one of the MAs leave too. This really contributes to a comfortable, secure environment. My wife laughs because I used to dread going to the doctor - now, I actually enjoy it!

This clinic also focuses on prevention, not just diagnose and treat - although they do that too. They talk to me a lot about diet, exercise, and recommend supplements for my specific conditions too - note they do NOT sell supplements, so no conflict there. My back used to go out twice a year. Last time it happened, the PA did the exam, wrote an Rx, then said, "Pete, have you ever considered yoga?" What? A Western-trained, allopathic medical professional talking to me about yoga? When I told him "no", he said, "Well, I've been doing it about 2 years now....." and he went on to share his experience which gave the guy immediate credibility in my eyes - it wasn't just something he read about in a journal - he was actually doing it. So...I tried it, and I love it, and a year later I have not had one back issue since.

Anyway, my experience has been so good, that I would cut expenses elsewhere to maintain my concierge doctor relationship. For me it's been a Godsend.

Pete
psweath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:20 PM   #5

Pete, that's what it has been like for me, too. In fact, she told me about Pilates for flexibility and my aching joints. She was doing it and it has helped me, too. I follow classes on my Roku All Fitness channel free.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:35 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I have used two different concierge doctors over the years but I'm a pretty healthy guy so could never justify continuing to pay the premium,

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:11 AM   #7

I've been seeing the same doc for over 20 years, and he switched to concierge style about five years ago. It has been great; the experience is just like psweath's description.

The difference is that my doc started out at $350 and has gradually raised it to $500 for the last two years. Far less than most concierge plans I've read about, but I'm in a low COLA region. I must just be lucky.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:51 AM   #8

I have been seeing the same Doc since I ER'd to Florida 19 years ago. He just went concierge, and last week I sent in my $1800 annual check. I had to think it over, as I usually only have seen him once annually all these years. From talking to neighbors, many of their Docs are going concierge - I certainly can't blame the Docs (from what I google, they earn about the same but work fewer hours and can now practice the way they have always wanted to). This year will be interesting to see what has changed in his practice.

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:17 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have no concierge physicians in our area. My doctor recently told me you wouldn't have any idea how much time is spent on fighting insurance companies to pay for needed services and general paperwork trying to get paid. And this is in a practice that sees no Medicaid patients and only Medicare patients with good supplementary insurance.

Physicians so often live in the big house with a stay at home wife and 2.3 children--all going to private schools and colleges. They also have 2 luxury vehicles expected of people in their position. And so often, doctors' student loans are paid when they're in their 50's.

What medical school never taught doctors is that they're middle class, and they've got to fund their own retirement. To maintain their current lifestyle in retirement will require $5 million to $10 million in retirement accounts--few of which have amassed. And doctors are famous for making very poor investment decisions.

And now, doctors are selling their practices to hospitals in mass and working for the hospitals on a contract basis. They lose all control of their practice when they sell out, however. If the practice doesn't turn the numbers, the doctor's let go.

I certainly cannot fault any physician for going to a cash and credit card only basis. They could do away with the 12 person office staff dropping back to a nurse and office person. And they can get back to doing what they were trained for--practicing medicine.

Someone that works 10-15 years in a concierge practice could probably save enough $ to retire without having to work until they're 75 years old. They would be surely happier in that place in life.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:40 AM   #10

I guess I don't understand how this works. Do people drop their regular insurance or Medicare B insurance to cover the $ for the concierge or is the concierge an add-on?
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:03 AM   #11

In my case, she covered all visits and some tests with the concierge fee. Testing that was done outside that was only done with companies that would accept what the insurance paid as full payment. So I know she filed a few tests with insurance, but I was never billed a copay fee. I'm not sure if it's that way for all concierge practices.

She was approved to work with most insurance companies, Medicare and Medicare advantage plans.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been with my concierge doc for about 9 years. He's one of the better physicians in the area -- any time I need care, I know I will be seen that day. I have a number of medical issues that I feel comfortable knowing I can receive care when needed. My annual fee is $1700.

Eight years ago when I was out of work, he cared for me and my wife for two years without collecting the annual fee. I'm surprised more primary care physicians are not going the concierge route.
wyecrabber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
I guess I don't understand how this works. Do people drop their regular insurance or Medicare B insurance to cover the $ for the concierge or is the concierge an add-on?
For me and most, it is an add-on. The Internist or Primary Care Provider may have 2000 - 3000 patients, and now drops it to 500 or less, in return for a full one hour annual exam, and half hour appointments the day you call or the next day. Additionally, you now have his/her cell phone to call after hours, and a few more availability perks. The physician receives your concierge payment plus the same regular payments as before (when billing for services provided).

The original model, MDVIP, can be googled for a more thorough explanation.

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:48 PM   #14

I found out why my doctor is leaving today. She was recruited by a popular town in the hill country. I certainly understand the attraction of moving to that area. I'm happy it will be a positive move for her family, but sure will miss her.

I'm about ready to choose a new doctor, after asking opinions from everyone I know. There are 3 women internists practicing together near my home. I keep hearing great things about them and they are all far from retirement age.