Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #121
gone traveling
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
One other thing... The doc said the success of RT or surgery was the same at 90% in DH's situation. I like those odds. But I have to tell ya, it sure would have been nice if they could have added another 10%....
Let modern medicine take care of the 90%- All your friends here on E-R.org will be praying for the other 10%.
__________________

__________________
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2011, 02:42 AM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
Posts: 1,005
All the best to DH and to you!
__________________

__________________
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:24 AM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
obgyn65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: midwestern city
Posts: 4,061
Thank you for the update bbbamI. Take care.
__________________
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,440
Sounds very positive. You guys should start planning a cruise or something as a goal/reward to look forward to after his treatments are done.

Keep us all up to date on his progress. I'm sure he will do well.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:23 PM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
bbbamI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas 'burb
Posts: 9,039
Here’s another update….

A week ago DH had his colonoscopy…the procedure went just fine and as always he enjoyed the drugs they gave him. Unfortunately the doc had to remove three polyps. This doc is the same one that handled his colonoscopy six years ago. At that time, one polyp was removed and the biopsy came out negative for cancer. Even though three polyps were removed this time, the doc didn’t seem concerned but is having them sent to the lab as normal procedure. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a good report.

Earlier today DH had three gold seeds implanted in his prostate. A sonogram was used to locate the prostate, a numbing shot was given and the seeds were put in place. This procedure took about 15 minutes to complete. He will have to take a few antibiotics to ensure an infection does not occur. He’s doing fine now; a little sore, but fine nonetheless.

At this point he is weary of going to the doctor yet realizes he has just begun. But I believe he’ll handle this well as he is an ‘it is what it is’ kind of guy. As a matter of fact, he’s been planning another motorcycle ‘epic journey’ for May. The upcoming RT will just be a nuisance.

As for me, my emotions seem to be leveling off and I am dealing with things better. I’ve gone three days without tears rolling down my face. This is due to encouraging words from friends, a little time has passed, and I have someone close to me that listens and does not dismiss my worst fears.

Ahhhhhh....it is what it is…let’s move forward.
__________________
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RonBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
As for me, my emotions seem to be leveling off and I am dealing with things better. Iíve gone three days without tears rolling down my face. This is due to encouraging words from friends, a little time has passed, and I have someone close to me that listens and does not dismiss my worst fears.
And all is right with the world again... I am so gald.
__________________
"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #127
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 21,135
Thanks for the update - hang on in there, things seem to be progressing well.
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #128
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
freebird5825's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Nowhere, 43N Latitude, NY
Posts: 9,017
I've been looking for you online, kiddo.

DH and you will have a lot of challenges ahead. You sound like you have absorbed the "news", and are accepting of the process of the remedy and moving along mentally.

I am very impressed with your courage. HUG
__________________
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #129
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,620
I'm glad everything seems to be going at least as good as can be expected, and that he's coping with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Earlier today DH had three gold seeds implanted in his prostate.
Since it's going "so well", has he recalculated his net worth yet? Is this a lifetime investment or does he eventually have to "return" them?
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:16 PM   #130
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Purron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,584
Thanks for the update bbbamI. My BIL is doing well after his surgery. IMHO, you and DH should find a fun distraction. Preferably involving high heeled boots and Jack Daniels
__________________
I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #131
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
obgyn65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: midwestern city
Posts: 4,061
Thank you for the update and take care.
__________________
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #132
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
bbbamI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas 'burb
Posts: 9,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Since it's going "so well", has he recalculated his net worth yet? Is this a lifetime investment or does he eventually have to "return" them?
He is thinking about going to an assayer next week....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Thanks for the update bbbamI. My BIL is doing well after his surgery.
It's great to hear your BIL is doing well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
IMHO, you and DH should find a fun distraction. Preferably involving high heeled boots and Jack Daniels
He'll drink JD, but says 'no' to high heeled boots....he just won't wear them...
__________________
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #133
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,555
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that he is planning a trip! You are in our thoughts and prayers! Be sure and do something for yourself too-maybe a massage.
__________________
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #134
gone traveling
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,864
Appreciate the update; you know a lot of folks here on E-R.org are concerned about you both. Hope things continue to go well.
WS
__________________
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:15 AM   #135
Full time employment: Posting here.
bruce1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hagersville
Posts: 793
Thanks for the update. Hope all continues to go well.
__________________
I wish I was half as good as my dog thinks I am!
bruce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #136
Full time employment: Posting here.
cardude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 599
Oh man, sorry to hear alll this........

Bbam, try to keep your great sense of humor through all of this! I don't know you from Adam, but you come across as one of the funniest and most sincere people I've never actually met.

And this thread reminds me, I've got to schedule that first prostrate exam that I've been putting off......
__________________
ER'ed from the new car business Feb 2008. I'm 47, she's 45. Two boys ages 15 and 13. DW is SAHM. I've got a part-time used car lot I w*ork at 3 hours a day that keeps me in beer money.....
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #137
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
And this thread reminds me, I've got to schedule that first prostrate exam that I've been putting off......
Two thumbs up...
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #138
Moderator Emeritus
Rich_by_the_Bay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 8,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
And this thread reminds me, I've got to schedule that first prostrate exam that I've been putting off......
Usually prostate exams are not done in the prostrate position, but if that is what your doctor does, go for it.

__________________
Rich
San Francisco Area
ESR'd March 2010. FIRE'd January 2011.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:06 PM   #139
Full time employment: Posting here.
cardude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 599


OMG, I can't believe I typed that.

Good one Rich...
__________________
ER'ed from the new car business Feb 2008. I'm 47, she's 45. Two boys ages 15 and 13. DW is SAHM. I've got a part-time used car lot I w*ork at 3 hours a day that keeps me in beer money.....
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets
Nova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 270
Good news, have my fingers crossed for more good updates. He sounds like a terrific guy, and...well...we all think you are terrific, too!
__________________

__________________
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prostate Cancer and index finger length MichaelB Health and Early Retirement 25 12-02-2010 04:54 PM
Prostate cancer redux FinallyRetired Health and Early Retirement 41 11-05-2009 11:47 PM
New Prostate Cancer treatments under test FinallyRetired Health and Early Retirement 4 04-23-2009 01:59 PM
Nonfat milk linked to prostate cancer REWahoo Health and Early Retirement 16 01-15-2008 09:58 AM
Prostate Cancer Concerns? Maybe cutting out the cheese makes sense marty Health and Early Retirement 6 12-30-2006 11:34 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:32 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.