Join Early Retirement Today
Old 01-11-2014, 02:04 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by alaska55 View Post
I guess you don't get my point! Having a MAGI of just over the cliff and trying to pay in to a IRA plus taxes your take home pay is less than 35K. The OP is living off other people how about carrying your own weight. I hear people bitching about the 1% and the Insurance companies all the time on this site and they acting the same way.
I don't get your point. There is no law that says everyone needs to pay as much as they possibly can for either income taxes or health insurance. There are no laws against taking legal tax deductions.

I do not know anything about the OPs taxes, deductions or income as I have not personally seen her tax returns.

Do you have an issue with people taking deductions for retirement contributions? Do you know people who make retirement contributions and then choose not to deduct them on their taxes because it would mean they are some how unpatriotic or not carrying their own weight?

daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2014, 05:56 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
Actually, this is misleading and the bolded part is incorrect. Insurance companies had to get approval by state regulators to cancel a plan for the entire group of policy holders.

The existing HIPPA law provided for guaranteed acceptance into a comparable plan with no waiting periods or exclusion for pre-existing conditions, so long as you didn't go without insurance for more than 60 days. Unfortunately, the premium was much higher than that of an underwritten plan, but as you wrote about the ACA in post #9, you could get insurance if you could "foot the bill".
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I don't think this is correct. Maybe in some states, but in other states insurers could outright deny you, forcing you into a state risk pool if available.
I don't know which is correct her either. If HIPPA regulations required when insurers cancelled plans some sort of replacement must be available then nothing has effectively changed - except that under the ACA the replacements must meet minimum coverage requirements. Interestingly in my daughter's case, when she turned 21 she was no longer eligible for the BCBS Federal plan she had been under for life and BCBS rejected her for individual coverage due to preexisting conditions. We found a high risk pool in DC but would not have had one in all states. Under the ACA when a kid turns 27 there are no penalties for preexisting conditions.

Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:05 AM   #43
One of the things I like about this forum is that we can disagree on many things without being disagreeable and still be respectful of others.

MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote