Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-05-2014, 07:23 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My cutoff time for coffee is 1 PM.

I've had a few times in my life when I had a soda at night (root beer or orange), not realizing until later that it was caffeinated. Disaster.

I feel the caffeine in a coffee within 5-10 minutes of drinking it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2014, 07:55 AM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

Age... It's normal...
Started getting worse (actually, not so bad).... around age 70. Pour moi, less activity, earlier to bed (winter time), makes bedtime anywhere from 6:30 to 10:00.
No matter... go with the flow... TV or computer or books on tape anytime... The normal calls of nature, a chance to raid the refrigerator for some grapes or to pop a marshmallow or a few pretzels. Have left the angst behind.
The few times of insomnia, solved by .5mg of klonopin.

Will have to rethink this pleasant laziness, when preparing for the senior triathlon.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I love a cup of coffee in the morning. But if I get into a comfy chair and try to watch TV I can doze off with that cup of coffee right there next to me. Caffeine just does not give me a jolt of anything.

I find that certain TV shows put me right to sleep. I DVR PBS's Antiques Roadshow episodes because I really enjoy them. Each show takes me a good 1.5 hours to get thorough because it just puts me to sleep. I wake up and rewind and watch what I missed. Same thing for PBS's Finding Your Roots.

We don't have a TV in the bedroom. I go to sleep at night just fine after a few minutes reading a book or magazine. But when I need a nap I just get comfy on the couch with some PBS!
Old 12-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
But when I need a nap I just get comfy on the couch with some PBS!
My never fail nap inducer is a corporate quarterly webcast.

Ha
Old 12-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I love a cup of coffee in the morning. But if I get into a comfy chair and try to watch TV I can doze off with that cup of coffee right there next to me.
What happens if you drink it?

Old 12-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #26

I've always been fascinated with reports about caffeine interfering with sleep if taken late in the day.

When I lived in Brazil, back in the 80s, it was normal to end the evening meal with several cafezinhos (small cups of very strong coffee with a liberal dose of sugar). Typically, this would be anywhere from 10 pm to 2 am.

Yet I never had a problem getting up around 6 am to go to w*rk. OK, I was a lot younger then.

But when I've returned to visit, most recently about five years ago, I saw the same thing. I'm sure those little coffees in Brazil are loaded with high octane caffeine (not to mention incredibly good flavor), but they don't seem to bother anyone in terms of sleep.

Meanwhile, back here in the good old USA, I can't have coffee after around 4 pm and still get to sleep at a normal time.

It's a mystery to me.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #27

Went to Svalbard a year ago, in full summer. Sun never sets then.

Ran a small experiment one day: Got up early, I stayed outside in the sun all day and decided to go to sleep once I felt tired. Ended up staying awake 27 hours or so, felt as fresh as can be.

Amazing experience, I normally really do need my sleep.

Once I went back inside the cabin at 10 am or so and closed all curtains, I felt tired and was asleep within 10 minutes.

After that, I started paying more attention to light.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #28

Success story here! In retirement my sleep is much better than when w*rking. When working, I had the stress and the weird hours causing insomnia, which caused more stress, which caused more insomnia, repeat ad infinitum. Now retired, I sleep well. Just the bathroom awakenings, then right back to sleep. Occasionally before sleep I take an acetaminophen pill which relaxes me and also provides interesting dreams.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:48 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Almost every night I am wide awake from 3 to 5 am. This was a real problem when working but now I just accept this. I read an entire book on the history of sleep. It was interesting how little we know about sleep. The main thing we've learned recently is that sleep is VERY important. There is a theory that older people get up early and teenagers sleep in so that back in caveman days, the staggered sleep meant that someone was always awake and on guard. Also, about 100 years ago, people talked about second sleep, so having two periods of sleep each night was common.
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #30

This Ted talk explains the importance of sleep for brain health - in short, the brain lacks a lymphatic system and must drain waste away through other means that can only be accomplished during deep sleep -

Jeff Iliff: One more reason to get a good night’s sleep | Talk Video | TED.com
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote